1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Magdev

Magdev Orbital Explorer

I've tried every fix so far. Even removing the registry values didn't fix it for me.

2. Muffinsforever

Muffinsforever Void-Bound Voyager

I'm checking the admin stuff now, but I believe the biggest issue is lack of CPU optimization and in my case, only 1 thread is used. There is no way the game will run well with more than a few thing on screen if it sticks to maxing only one CPU core.

Also, for a 2D game, would a graphics card actually matter that much considering the current lack of post-processing effects?

3. Magdev

Magdev Orbital Explorer

It depends what is actually utilizing the GPU. The lighting could be GPU-based (I'd guess it is), things like particles could possibly be GPU-based (probably not very likely). It depends.
    Multithreading would help for lower-end CPUs but I think the main issue with the framerate is some sort of hardware/software incompatibility.
    The game seems to either run fine (relatively) for people, or horribly (because of the bug).

Some of the fixes that are working for some people confuse me. Running the game as administrator? Running STEAM as administrator? It doesn't really make sense to me, but I guess that's Windows™ for you.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. EnderRydel

EnderRydel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Especially considering my processor isn't the best. Hopefully they'll get it optimized for slower machines soon.

5. Takeira

Takeira Space Hobo

Same thing here. I was hoping the update would bring good news but it didn't. Actually, it's even worse... I tended to have low Fps, now it's always.
    I have also tried every fix so far, none helped.

6. 1mwb

1mwb Big Damn Hero

Exactly what happens to me and i have nvidia too. it makes it unplayable..... and i have a gaming laptop

7. 1mwb

1mwb Big Damn Hero

Actually i have this but its the nvidia graphics card that's slowing me down.

8. mccahon

mccahon Big Damn Hero

Woooot went from 40FPS to 20FPS from the patch.....

9. RoxasXaviar

RoxasXaviar Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah mine is about 15-20 seconds long ish

10. Intigracy

Intigracy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Disable multithreading on your NVIDIA gfx card, if it hasn't been said in this thread already.

Should fix most FPS issues.

11. Fenderson

Fenderson Seal Broken

Unfortunately i get an unplayable frame rate with some pretty awful screen tearing in the middle of the screen.

12. I was experiencing EXTREME lag problems. I tried this(was running in win 7 compatibility mode, I am running win 8) and it fixed it. No lag, at all, what-so-ever. THANK YOU.

13. Catharsis

Catharsis Orbital Explorer

Tried with the Miltithreading tip, but still FPS issues...

14. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

After trying everything else, this worked for me. Thanks.

15. Takeira

Takeira Space Hobo

Ok, it's quite strange but. I had a power cut for an hour or two. Then i come back to the game, (Computer's been reboot of course) and NO PROBLEM. No fps problem, i can run and jump everywhere without losing FPS.
    Damn, this feels good. So i don't know if it's one of those fix i tried and took a reboot to apply or the update but... Well it's cool.

16. Shoji1199

Shoji1199 Aquatic Astronaut

I can run lots of games just fine I dont understand the framerate issues i am having. I can barely mine or craft its so bad. almost no lag problems in the ship but as soon as I his land.... gonna try these suggestions here.

*edit*
    setting the exe to high priority was fine (would not let me set it to realtime) but running it as admin wont start the game when trying to from the launcher. All i want is 30 fps... just 30

*edit 2*
    Wow I am dumb. I read the post wrong. I was supposed to set the launcher to high not the exe. this is running fantastically now. Raiding a uscm prison with very little lag (only when large groups of people try to shank or shoot me) now I am rolling in pixels. 6K in one run yay

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. Kiop

Kiop Orbital Explorer

Just patched the game in steam,
    updated my graphic card drivers,
    disabled multicore threading in the drivers,
    set my firewall to allow full access to Starbound.

No improvement to the FPS.
    100% CPU useage while the game is running. 75-80% ram useage.

The launcher screen just hangs for ages after i click launch Starbound
    now as well, longer than it did before my changes.

Sorry.

18. Jafu

Jafu Orbital Explorer

Disabling compatibility mode for steam solved this issue for me as well! 20-60 FPS smooth as butter :)

Thanks GrandTickler! Will be enjoying my play session thanks to you.

OneMotion likes this.
  19. OneMotion

OneMotion Intergalactic Tourist

I had no idea my steam was running on compatibility mode, after turning it off the game actually does run as smooth as butter. :)

20. killerlotus

killerlotus Tentacle Wrangler

No Comp. mode enabled on Steam nor Starbound... Funny thing: My Bought version runs with 5-10 fps while the pirated version I Downloaded from torrent gets flawless 60 fps anywhere... Looks like the real problem is bad Steam integration.

AMD Phenom II x6 1090t 3.6 ghz
    Nvidia GTX 660 ti 2 gb
    8 GB DDR3