1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Ludicriously Low FPS - No Pausing in Single Player

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheHolyInvader, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TheHolyInvader

TheHolyInvader Lucky Number 13

This worked for me slightly, it was working fin, until an enemy walked on screen, at which point it went to poop again.
    Nevermind, it caused massive gameplay lag instead, not worth the fix.

2. nVy`

nVy` Void-Bound Voyager

That did seem to help me some.. I now have it running on 3 cores and it's significantly better. Still rather low fps considering what kind of game it is, but it's way better than when it ran on all cores.. 1 core was slightly better, but teleporting was god awfully slow, so I tried more cores.

3. Kehlenfetzer

Kehlenfetzer Space Hobo

Same fps probs aswell, no workaround worked (steam overlay deaktivated, run as admin etc)

edit: tryd out lesser cpu´s, the game runs smoother sometimes, but the sounds stutter

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. Cloutar

Cloutar Void-Bound Voyager

For me the problem is that I must play with compatability mode, if I don't my game keeps on flickering black whenever I press my mouse button or at random intervals, sometimes even showing my desktop...

5. EriktheRed

EriktheRed Master Chief

I tried this, and it improved the framerate, but now there is a variable yet large delay before actions like opening doors and hitting monsters actually take effect.

6. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

To elaborate a bit more on my particular slow-down a bit: I ran around the ship for quite a while, messing with things, breaking walls, looking at stuff, suffered no slow-down.. Teleported to the surface and instantly back and it started running badly, and brought the lag with me back up to the ship.. Task manager says I'm using 2.58gb of my 4gb ram, only 8% cpu.. Also using the "windows" key that pops up the start menu to minimize the game caused a crash:

GraphicsException: Could not create a Hal device: Back buffer not supported/Hardware acceleration is not available. Back Buffer
    Format: 22
    (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/graphics/StarGraphicsCommon.hpp:8)
    00408DFC
    (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/application/StarApplicationBase.cpp:645) followed by this line twice more, only difference being last three digits (855 and 260)
    (E:/Steamworks/Starbound/git/starbound/source/client/main.cpp:49)
    004DB801
    (c:\SDL-1.2.15/./scr/main/win32/SDL_win32_main.c:318)

Just tried to "tough it" through the planet lag and it creeps down to less than a frame a second :>

7. Phyrewall

Phyrewall Pangalactic Porcupine

Runs fine on x64 bit Win 7, no stressing.

8. Catharsis

Catharsis Orbital Explorer

Hello guys,
    Same problem for me. Low fps concerning Starbound

I7 - 2630QM - 2GHZ
    NVidia GeForce GT 540M
    4gbs of ram
    Windows 7 64 bit

I know my config is not the best, but it allows me to play some recent games with not fps issues
    (League Of Legends, Dead Island, Terraria and Minecraft of course...)

I tried all of the solutions above but none of them worked.

9. Purzix

Purzix Void-Bound Voyager

We shouldn't forget the fact that the game really needs a pause function. It's really annoying when you quit the game but want to play again the the spawn point isn't the one you want it to be.

10. Relinies

Relinies King Homestuck III

At this point I'm largely convinced that this is the culprit.
    I am also having trouble, and the run as administrator solution didn't do a thing. I'm going to restart my computer in a moment, but this time I'll have set the Run as Administrator setting to aply to every user.

11. Miths

Miths Tentacle Wrangler

This fixed my problem (someone else suggested it, can't remember if it might actually have been earlier in this thread).

Here's a fix that worked for me (getting 50-60 fps on my low end core i3, Geforce 720m laptop vs. 20-30 before).

Go into C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32 - there's a starbound.exe and a starbound_opengl.exe. The former is the one that's run by default from the launcher when you hit play from Steam.

If you start directly with starbound_opengl.exe you will get the launcher and then you can start the game. This didn't change my framerate though (edit: I tried reverting to the original filenames and found out that that's because the launcher still runs starbound.exe even if you try to launch it with starbound_opengl.exe).

I've now renamed starbound.exe to something different (doesn't really matter what) and starbound_opengl.exe to starbound.exe.
    When I hit play from Steam now the game will run the renamed OpenGL client and my framerate has doubled or better.

Kehlenfetzer likes this.
  12. HylianChozo

HylianChozo Tentacle Wrangler

Not sure if anyone's tried this, but I changed the fullscreen resolution to a lower one and then actually put the game in fullscreen (the default setting is just a maximized window, so I doubt changing the resolution without going fullscreen will do much). I did it and I'm getting a solid 60 FPS with a mediocre gaming rig. Only problem is that the Steam overlay doesn't seem to want to work either, and also...

For some reason, in fullscreen, if you alt+tab out of the game and then come back into it, the game exits fullscreen. Absolutely FANTASTIC game you've got here, Chucklefish! It's a game I'm proud to have supported! :D

13. Keadin

Keadin Big Damn Hero

If that's sarcasm you should probably take it somewhere else. This thread is about FPS drops, it's not about complaining about day 1 issues on a flippin' beta ^^

14. Catharsis

Catharsis Orbital Explorer

I tried this, that's kind of wierd because it seems to work about the FPS,
    But as soon as I die, the game crashes.

EDIT : In fact that's not so good about the FPS. Big issues when a monster pop.

15. Miths

Miths Tentacle Wrangler

Just for some more experimentation I tried setting the game to run starbound.exe (the original, not the renamed opengl version) on the integrated Intel chip (I think it's a 4000) instead of the Geforce 720m chip. And got 40+ fps vs. the 20-30 with the much more powerful Geforce.

Whoever said Geforce appears to be the problem here is probably correct :). Maybe Chucklefish use AMD in all their PCs?

Anyway, seems like the renamed starbound_opengl.exe is the way to go for now. I hope it doesn't screw up the patching process.

16. Kehlenfetzer

Kehlenfetzer Space Hobo

worked for me !

Soapy214 likes this.
  17. mccahon

mccahon Big Damn Hero

Lol now that I think about it most all reports on both FPS posts had Nvidia cards. Haha hope it will be fixed asap, kind of unplayable at this moment.

18. HylianChozo

HylianChozo Tentacle Wrangler

Whoa, no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I love the game! No worries man. :U

JackOfAllTrades likes this.
  19. RobertRevenge

RobertRevenge Pangalactic Porcupine

I beg to differ. I'm having between 8-12 fps just upon entering the ship, which I find is a bit unreasonable considering I can run high demand games no problem.
    Given the type of game this is, there's obviously a problem somewhere. None of the above fixes have helped much at all.

20. Insertech

Insertech Aquatic Astronaut

Same problem as everyone, also running on a Nvidia.