1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lost all items on asteroid field

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by TheEkainMagix, Jul 25, 2016.

1. TheEkainMagix

TheEkainMagix Void-Bound Voyager

Well. I had no idea that the map actually ended going down. With an instant death that you cannot see comming. You just die if you go too deep. And you loose all your items, on the void, so yeah, no way to recover them. I don't mind dying and losing my stuff for being a complete noob, but I do care dying because of bad design, there's literally no way to know when you're gonna hit the void and die, until you do so. So basically, I had too much stuff carrying and I lost it all, as I said, no way to get them back.

So I'm gonna stop playing Starbound until I forget what happened and I don't mind to get all my stuff back from zero.

2. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

yeah, you don't lose *all* your items. food, healing items, and crafting materials. it's a lot, but at least you can still kill things because your weapons don't drop (like they used to).

3. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

There's your problem.

4. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

Did you expect it to go down forever? That would be kinda silly.

Akre and BitHorizon like this.
  5. TheEkainMagix

TheEkainMagix Void-Bound Voyager

No, I didn't. What I expected though was the map ending after some large amount of asteroids, not just a few, and definitely not suddenly ending and dying without any warning.

6. stealthXG

stealthXG Pangalactic Porcupine

Spawns varies on asteroid fields, sometimes you spawn close to the bottom of the map and other times you don't. This is the reason why I never bothered going down because you won't know where the end is. The only way you can tell is when the screen stops moving downward.

7. Whoaness

Whoaness Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just a side tip for anyone trying to tackle the asteroid field. Since there are no more flying techs, I found that the rocket spear actually let's you fly around in the asteroid field fairly easily.

As for the OP, yeah maybe they could have added the AI saying "Don't fall off or something", but it's not a hard loss especially since it sounds like you're at the start of the game.

8. Vession

Vession Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe not for OP, but it is almost certainly going to unfairly destroy someone who is further into the game.

9. Efrim

Efrim Pangalactic Porcupine

Not to derail (That sucks OP; I'd lose my cool pretty quick if I lost my purple crafting junk because of bad map design);

Buuuut. What is the point of the asteroid fields in their current state? I've never bothered to visit one because by the time I have an EPP I have enough of the low-tier ores that the fields offer in abundance.. Is it just for fun or is there something about them I am missing?

10. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Personaly i think it would be fine if astroid fields looped on both axis instead of just one like planets. That said, i dont expect that to be changed now since we are at 1.0 and that would likely require a engine update (unless it allredy has support for it).

11. BryanBKool

BryanBKool Space Hobo

I think the game should give you a warning like the ship would warn you to warp back when your getting close to the bottom

12. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Some people have definitely made some interesting settlements on asteroid fields. also, those low-tier ores can be pretty useful for unlocking the tech card questline at the outpost, or just for general crafting

Sylxeria likes this.