1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Lore changes?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Wreth, Jun 3, 2015.

1. pjeeeeeee

pjeeeeeee Void-Bound Voyager

Doesn't explain why the "random" Floran villagers don't hate the fish men anymore...

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I'm with swat. Coming from playing the entire Mass Effect series, I found it more satisfying to experience each race and their attitudes WITH personal histories that influence interaction with the other races.

Sure we can suppose that they just naturally feel condescending toward each other, but wouldn't it be more encompassing to actually implement race-specific events and occurances that play off the lore of the specie?

Hylotls with deep loathing for Florans? That doesn't sound like something that should be downplayed... That's something to put a spotlight on!

Ixmore and The | Suit like this.
  3. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

Hylotl would never attack anyone on sight, they are a pacifistic race that only use combat for self defense. They are more than happy to verbally put down other races for having inferior culture though.

4. Lintton

Lintton Guest

You can have the shop owners be a crapshoot about selling or raise their prices. Not all mean behavior is insults and dirty looks.

That said, this is totally optional, and chucklefish might not even want to go that far. I will say this though, space is vast, and its people are varied even in the heart of (insert rural small town here). So maybe it might be worth making towns where the suspicions creep over not at your swung sword, but at theirs.

5. Inf_Wolf14

I'm not completely for all out conflict, but verbal abuse, extreme hostilities, etc. Some form of hatred beyond conflict, like intense arguments between them, protests... We don't have to have violence, but we can do so much more than insignificant comments
    Something like that, yes! Trade embargoes, and the like. It adds to the history without breaking it. :)

6. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

perhaps the hylotl can be more aggressive towards floran in ways besides outright attacking them, like florans getting less warnings about putting their weapons away in hylotl areas, or no warnings if you steal something (assuming people react when you steal something)

Morzan and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  7. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Guys, the Florans invaded their planet, and burned and killed their spawning grounds, Im not sure its even semi-logical for the Hylotls to be passively cautious.

Im sorry if I am one of the ones that actually takes the Invasion seriously, but they marched right through a home planet, beneath the sea, and mind you, Florans hate salt water, murdered just about everyone and burnt the equivalent of materny wards to ash.

If they can still be cautiously passive after a species literally marches into their planet, kills everyone and murders their babies, then they need to lean how to human.

8. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

Hylotl would still never outright attack floran, or ban them from their villages.

Hylotl are a pacifistic race that believes their culture is superior. They believe their culture is superior but because of their pacifism they don't force it on anyone, but rather try and pursuade the other races to adopt hylotl culture. They also aren't afraid of calling the other races uncultured and savage, even the other races that do have culture, like humans. To the hylotl all the other races are uncultured and savage, florans are just the worst.

9. Inf_Wolf14

Then we make the florans more hostile? For a primitive, tribal attitude... Seems like they've mellowed out.

Even if it were something of a habit for Floran to purposely provoke the Hylotl, I just want something interesting to happen between them. :/

10. Spritley Jack

Spritley Jack Big Damn Hero

I thought that it was interesting the reactions I got from Florans when I walked into one of their villages while playing as a Hylotl. I would like to see how a Hylotl would react to a Floran, but I don't know if they implemented the Hylotl cities yet, so I can't try it yet.

Otherwise, I would have to say it was disheartening to come into a village and meet hostile looks from everybody living there.

11. Rowdy Art

Rowdy Art Subatomic Cosmonaut

I do agree that the conflict was one of the more interesting aspects of the game's lore, and I think they should definitely bring back the deep-seeded hatred between them, but this is nightly update stuff which means it can change at any time.

12. Zantigo

Zantigo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This feels like one of those issues that people only really care about because it was pointed out to them. I don't see how dialogue changes and lore about a war that's been happened really affects anything gameplay wise, it's a sandbox game after all not a story-driven RPG. That seems to be a little bit everyone's sort of tuned out. It's obvious that with the inclusion of settlements that invite various races to work together in communities, that they'd have to tone down the genocidal hatred somewhat otherwise it'd look pretty stupid with them all hanging in the same planet, nevermind a small settlement.

13. Kufell

Kufell Pangalactic Porcupine

Went over the new Floran to Hylotl dialogue, making some minor tweaks to make it sound more consistent(In my opinion) with the Floran vocal quirks. Mainly adding the hiss(Albeit, I'm going overboard with it out of preference) and getting rid of pronouns.

Changes are in red.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  14. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

There were no hylotl cities but you could spawn in hylotl villagers with admin mode and see how they react to florans.

15. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

I like these changes. My floran is not of the Floran people. It was painful for her to be treated as a monster for something she didn't participate in.

Also yeah, the Floran do not communicate among one another and don't have much space travel capability on their own. It makes sense for the Floran to not all hate Hylotl.

16. Wreth

Wreth Phantasmal Quasar

Perhaps there just needs to be separate dialogue pools for the villagers in player made colonies and the villagers in the generated villages. It makes sense that a hylotl living with other hylotl in a hylotl settlement might hate the floran more than a hylotl that has chosen to live in a multispecies colony made by the player.

PabloM likes this.
  17. I do feel like we could benefit from having both types of dialogue. Some villages could have Florans/Hylotls that outright hate each other, others where they're passive aggressive/oblivious as shown with the new dialogue. Heck, could even combine the two types together and have a village where they either hated or liked each other. It'd be a better middle ground than just outright scrapping the old dialogue altogether.

Morzan likes this.
  18. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Here's the changes to the merchant dialogue I mentioned in today's update:

Old - Floran to Hylotl:
    • "Hylotl is not welcome at ssstore. Buy thingsss anyway.",
    • "Floran hopesss that Hylotl buys fast.",
    • "Does fishman wish to give Floran pixelsss?"
    (Now removed)

Old - Glitch to Floran:
    • "Warning. Attempting to eat merchandise will result in expulsion."
    • "Stern. Try not to destroy the store, please."
    • "Reminder. I will not buy "spare Glitch parts"."
    (Now removed)

Old - Hylotl to everyone:
    • "Welcome, stranger! Marvel at my goods. Weep at their glory."
    • "My goods are amazing. I'd give you some for free, but I like money."
    • "The design of my goods surpasses that of any other race!"
    • "Look at my merchandise. It's mind-blowing, I know."
    • "You can have any of this for just a few small payments of pixels!"
    New - Hylotl to everyone:
    • "Welcome. I hope the goods I sell bring you happiness."
    • "May my wares help you find true enlightenment!"
    • "Perhaps you'll find something you're looking for?"

Old - Hylotl to Floran:
    • "Oh dear, it's a Floran... just try not to break anything.",
    • "I'll tell you upfront, most of our merchandise isn't edible.",
    • "You break it, you buy it. I'm going to be a rich Hylotl in five minutes...",
    • "Ugh. Do you even deserve to be allowed to purchase this fine art?"
    (Now removed)

Everyone to Avian:
    • "Just a warning, we don't accept Avos money."
    (Now removed)

New dialogue was added as well, mostly in places that only had the same quotes for every race. For example, when merchants say goodbye they will now say things depending on your race, such as:

Avian:
    • "Fly by again soon!"
    • "Many thanks for your patronage."
    • "Kluex guide you!"
    • "I'm looking forward to seeing you again."

Hylotl:
    • "I hope our transactions bring you satisfaction."
    • "I hope you found what you were searching for."
    • "May your path ahead be clear to you, friend!"
    • "Say strong in heart and in spirit, friend."

shannyxvx likes this.
  19. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Why was this removed, @SamuriFerret? This was one of the few references to non-Pixel currency used by different cultures and it got removed? ._.

Morzan and 1nfinitezer0 like this.
  20. InsanityPixelated

InsanityPixelated Existential Complex

I believe the Hylotl change is good, as it fits their personalities a bit better. They are intelligent enough to notice that you won't maul them instantly and that you're more sophisticated than the other florans, but caution is still adhered to.

I feel like the change in florans is bizarre and needs to be changed back or worked on. It can be expected that Florans you've helped in a quest will behave like that, or maybe if the town of florans are grateful to how you've helped them, but honestly; they shouldn't seem entirely passive to their historical enemies. Florans are a bit savage, so I doubt they'd drop a grudge that easily.

I agree with you on that race should have an influence on the gameplay outside of just unimportant conversation, but I do not believe it should be as extreme as them attacking you on sight. Imagine a party of various races stopping by a floran town, and the hylotl member has to wait outside as to not provoke them.

It might be a bit better if it was just more in the way that they might discriminate against you, such as shop prices being raised for a hylotl in a floran village, or maybe they just refuse to trade with the hylotl entirely. Possibly guards will be more strict with the other person in their town, for example they won't allow looting in buildings by the hostile race.

Just an idea.

Lintton likes this.