lol "mod support"

Discussion in 'Other' started by affsd, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

NO, THIS IS NOT A TROLL THREAD
    PLEASE READ AND THINK BEFORE YOU POST

CONCISE VERSION (SOUNDS LESS TROLL-Y)
    I think we need to have better mod support. We should be able to add code, or at least server-side. This way, if the stock anticheat is not adequate WHEN IT COMES OUT, then the community can add server mods and a custom anticheat!

Well, it has come to this. We're going to have mod support that I hear is based in Lua. Good. Now, let's see how long it takes before it turns into a disastrophe like GMod or Roblox. Also, I seriously doubt this mod support will let us do anything significant like change gameplay aspects or code something akin to an anticheat. If we can't, then the stock one better be real good. Because even if the game's coded in C++, someone's going to come along and make a hack client that hooks code or something close to that. Then, hordes of skiddies will flood to that client and try to hack on every server. Whoopee.
    also i'm not trying to be pessimistic, cynical, or anything like that i'm literally concerned about this
    RELATED
    [​IMG]
    inb4 i get repfucked or b&

Mod, lock please? :D

Gaikang and Sigmamec like this.
  2. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

I'm not trying to be pessimistic, cynical, or anything like that. I'm actually concerned about this

3. We can't be judging without even have details or play the game, it's for now exaggerated.
    And far they are aiming for the MOD API after launch and they stated Modding will be easier... What is left to know if it's capable of create major changes in the game and not only minor stuff, and let's hope so.

Who understand about Modding may be concerned about this, but we must wait and See.

affsd likes this.
  4. Sigmamerc

Sigmamerc Void-Bound Voyager

5. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

I hope so too. But I really hope it supports real code, like C++, and nothing like .ini files that you just push into a mod maker, or Lua. I'm not saying Lua isn't a real langua- dklfje okay i couldn't keep a straight face saying that i am so sorry but seriously guys

6. Neroid

Neroid Starship Captain

Affsd might be right, me like him have had concerns about this.

7. Dende

Dende Giant Laser Beams

How was Roblox's LUA a fail? There were some VERY innovative and great LUA coders that made Amazing and fun games. The classics that lasted for years regardless of the new updates :rofl:.

Granted, using a less user friendly code would allow Far more modding. LUA was nice because it was very user friendly by comparison to some other languages.

8. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

OH MY GOD IT'S DENDE
    OT: dunno, it just seems as if most mods were shit and you had to pick the diamonds from the shit, but isn't it like that for all games with mod support
    also viruses

9. UncleCoord

UncleCoord Big Damn Hero

i will have my own private passworded whitelisted server so that backs up on a regular basis... I will be just fine.

10. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

what about public servers?
    not everyone wants to wait for a whitelist. some people just wanna jump on and play. I know I'm one of them.

11. Zoolot

Zoolot Existential Complex

[​IMG]

Hello captain obvious, welcome to Earth.

I see no real use for this thread, If you look at Terraria it has anti cheat server clients that freeze you on the server if your character is modded. I assume since the game is not competitive in the least, again like Terraria, the use of "hacked" or "modded" clients is a nonissue since people will be able to selectively decide who joins and stays on their server.

*edit* Gmod is not a "disastrophe" as you call it. It is a great game that I have logged over 600 hours playing.

Jonesy likes this.
  12. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

hackers, griefers, douchebags. have you thought of those problems? a server can't be have an admin or moderator on at all times. you need some form of passive protection as your first layer of defense, as an admin can't watch over everyone at once.

13. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

This! Griefing will always exist, but without hacks, it's at least bearable for the administration. In Terraria, it's so fucking exploitable that you can literally fly around and change your movement speed and damage and defense. People can click with their bare hands and destroy a huge chunk (LIKE I'M TALKING MORE THAN 5 BY 5. They can demolish a building in 10 seconds with a client like Terrahax) of any tiles, given that the block-breaking limit isn't set up on TShock.

14. Zoolot

Like I said, which you obviously omitted, Terraria uses a server-side protection that freezes you in place. They also prevent use of explosives and breaking/placing blocks in certain areas. I assume soon after Starbound comes out a genius will create something akin to Tshock and etc.

15. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

Please see AsdfUsername's post:
    There is practically NO protection in Terraria.

Also this:
    VIRUS ANYONE

WoxandWarf and AsdfUsername like this.
  16. Zoolot

The point of this thread was to call attention to the fact that people will grief. Face the facts the game isn't out yet so we have no idea how easy or hard it will be to break the game with clients and such. All I see is a thread that is whistle blowing.

17. Zoolot

I did, read above

18. M0du5

M0du5 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Play single player? Or LAN? Personally I think the anti-grief mechanics in Terraria and Minecraft are just as annoying as the people that grief. The public server experience is always garbage regardless of anti-cheat and anti-grief code. Why would you want to play with people from whom you need to protect yourself? Dickheads that want to hack and grief and going to be annoying regardless of admin presence or security measures. Why even bother?

19. affsd

affsd Zero Gravity Genie

When the game comes out, it's too late. I'm trying to get the attention of the devs now.

I don't know, when you don't HAVE any friends or friends that play the game that you play? Isn't that what online matchmaking/multiplayer is FOR?

20. Zoolot

You can't prevent the breaking of the vase if you don't know how and when it falls.

D3RSkully and WoxandWarf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.