Living Planets (Or Planatary parasites) Revamped And Ressurected

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Nightly, Dec 22, 2012.

1. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

As I have stated in the main page and in the forums the controller organs are at the very core of the planet. The insides and all that won't fossilize or rot for a veeeery long time. I plan to esplain in the lil research logs im making (there won't be too many of em probably like 4 at the MOST). The body will remain intact for quite awhile and the defense organisms will become wild and rampant, much like the parasites.

2. Stalkish Cockatiel

Stalkish Cockatiel Existential Complex

It would still be very cool to witness the rotting/fossilization of the planet. I was thinking they could have the planet become a mushroom/fungi planet as it dies, as real corpses in real life do. Your idea is still amazing. I hope it is put into the game.

3. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Phantasmal Quasar

I can't believe you say you're unimaginative. This is a really cool idea I think a planet that is somewhat normal but also alive would be cool. Like not have the whole planet be fleshy but have it be kind of like a normal planet with some abnormal anomalies, plant life, or living defenses as you mentioned. maybe this could be a lighter easier version of what you say? (But still have some really really live ones out there somewhere in the stars.) I'd def be down for some thing like thresher maws (But of course I'd say that lol.)

http://www.deviantart.com/download/284149162/thresher_maw_vs_reaper_by_theeventhor1zon-d4p6awa.gif

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541765119197484572/E310ADE8E4E88FFB91A2FD068D3F468214E21CA3/

4. Hegemonia

Hegemonia Void-Bound Voyager

I love LOVE! Your idea. From your description it brings back memories of the game Unreal II: The Awakening. One of the missions took place on a planet called Acheron, which was completely covered both above and below the surface with one gigantic organism. In game there was a corporation trying to terraform the planet, but ultimately ended up angering the creature. When you removed a special object from the creature its immune system went ballistic trying to kill you by spewing out acids, and creatures kind of like white blood cells aggressively seeks out the player. In my opinion, stomach acids / caustic blood would be great, as well as creatures that act as white blood cells that actively seek out the player.

5. Dragrath

Dragrath Phantasmal Quasar

I like the idea though I have several questions.
    1) If you just stay on the surface and don't mine will it still try and kill you?
    2)what happens if I Nuke it from orbit? or fire the planet cracker!!!!!
    3) upon death how long until the world fully dies?

6. Sabreur

Sabreur Pangalactic Porcupine

It is already frustrating enough to deal with regular-sized organics. An entire planet made of that disgusting carbon-based meat? I'm tempted to format my short-term memory so I can forget the very concept.

Of course, doing battle against such a planet's 'immune system' would be interesting. I have always admired how bacteria can bring so much ruin and misery to lifeforms many times its size. So perhaps the idea has merit...

7. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Ah I am quite glad you think so sir. I'm glad that my idea is popular with many forms of life-forms as of so far.

8. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

"tentacle planets"​

Me: Heh... heh...

9. Eccentric

Eccentric Pangalactic Porcupine

Dirty, dirty you.

10. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

As a testimoney to REFUSING to let this thread die, I have updated the main page with some ,I must say, Gud ideas. Also Boss name puns.

11. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

I'm curious as to what you think of the idea of "taming" a living planet - perhaps developing a commensalistic or symbiotic relationship with it, to where it welcomes (or at least doesn't mind) your intrusions?

Perhaps, in addition to merely 'awareness', a living planet also develops a level of hostility or benevolence towards you, based on how you behave towards it? Killing off parasites or harmful organisms, or helping it stay clean and healthy would inspire the planet (if it's sentient enough) to regard you as nonthreatening or beneficial - you might find passages being opened up for you, or the immune system less aggressive. Similarly, if you cause harm to the planet (digging straight into its flesh, attacking organs, etc.) then the planet will increasingly regard you as parasitic and hostile, and you'll encounter more vicious immune reactions and will have to dig into the planet to access pathways that it is attempting to keep closed.

12. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

As Ive stated before they don't really MIND you unless you dig into their skin or damage the shell beyond repair. They are not sentient in a way that allows benevolence and are completely hostile to humanoid organisms in general. They cannot be tamed or made at peace. They are solely out to exist/destroy you. That's why their technically a planet sized dungeon of doom.

13. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

So when you cut down trees, the planet sends enemies after you to defend itself. Interesting.

14. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

No. It doesn't give half a shit bout the trees or the animals on the surface. That's just the shell. If you dig into its flesh n' stuff like that THEN it sends enemies after you. Or rips your to shreds. Both works.

15. Dahoga

Dahoga Phantasmal Quasar

I'm sure it could be made that if you attack the tentacle-trees it simply sends weak drones after you, but if yo ugo underground and start destroying it's vital organs then it sends much stronger warriors after you. Maybe if you attack the heart or brain, a boss monster will appear, or maybe the heart/brain is the boss monster itself!

16. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal

Can anyone here art?

17. Alucard I

Alucard I King Homestuck I

18. Hurricane

Hurricane Phantasmal Quasar

19. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

20. Nightly

Nightly Cosmic Narwhal