Modding Help Liquid Interactions with Solid Material

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Djinn, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Djinn

Djinn They're not goats, darnit!

This is a speculative question that I haven't seen anywhere yet: we all know that adding water to lava makes magmarock. In lava.liquid, this is handled by
    Code:
      "interactions" : [
        {
          "liquid" : 1,
          "materialResult" : "magmarock"
        }
    Where 1 is the code for water. Now, what I'm curious about is whether that "liquid" bit can be replaced with a material instead - which would mean if the liquid was touching that material it would proceed to whatever result was set. The most obvious use would be water touching ice and turning into ice in a feedback loop, but there's all kinds of other stuff that could be done too.

Anyone seen anything like that?

2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

yes. Take a look at FU. Most of these particular interactions happen on the tile, not the liquid. Take a peek through the github in /tiles/materials

best bet is one of the .patch files for vanilla tiles

3. Djinn

Djinn They're not goats, darnit!

I've actually been doing just that! What I'm trying to figure out now is how to make a feedback loop - I've got it working such that a certain liquid will change a certain material, but it of course only affects the area touching the liquid. The example in the original post would allow for liquid to be turned into a material sequentially as the new material touches the liquid, but interactions being on the tile also opens another question: is it possible for tiles to interact with eachother? Could you, for instance, set it up such that an ice block next to a dirt block would turn the dirt block into ice?