Modding Discussion Liquid as an object

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by yohanu, Dec 10, 2013.

1. yohanu

yohanu Orbital Explorer

Is there any plans in The pipeline for this? As it stands, i can't see any way to manipulate liquid, and there's plenty of interesting things i wish to do with it.

2. Shidiwen1990

Shidiwen1990 Star Wrangler

I made a gun that can generate liquids (fire liquids) and they sit on the ground (as long as there is a wall behind them and a pool). If people actually want this i can make a mod for it.

The liquids can easily be changed from water-lava-poison as well.

The intended use for the gun was so i could make pools of water in my creations (example swimming pools). Though when i duplicated the item for people it ended up being used for EVIL lol.

3. yohanu

yohanu Orbital Explorer

That may prove useful! Not sure it is enough though. I need a way to remove liquids in-game programmatically for my purposes, but it's a start i guess!

4. Aigis

Aigis Tentacle Wrangler

It'd be nice for you to release it. I'm curious to see what you did (even just the code would be fine).

5. Shidiwen1990

Shidiwen1990 Star Wrangler

Its fairly simple, there is a projectile type called "waterballoon" it places water. i just added it to a gun and spawned it.

6. Ixath

Ixath Starship Captain

Yes. Can you make this and then make one that uses the lava/magma balloon thing as well (At work, forgot what it was called)?

We'd be able to use this to fill up pools of water or lava near our creations.

7. yohanu

yohanu Orbital Explorer

Didn't think about that! Still need a way to manipulate existing liquids though.

8. bluecollarart

bluecollarart Big Damn Hero

Watch out, because the waterballoon projectile doesn't seem to work by default. If it works for you, cool, but normally you have to edit the .gun file to give a "power" value to the projectile. Something like this works fine:

Code:
      "projectileType" : "waterballoon",
      "projectile" : {
        "speed" : 30,
        "power" : 0,
        "life" : 0,
        "color" : [255, 10, 10]
      },
    Right now I'm trying to figure out how to add new liquids to the game. Simply adding a new entry to the liquids.config doesn' t seem to work - it just sits at the load screen and never loads. If anyone manages to add new liquids, post your code here!

edit: Nevermind! It was a simple syntax error, it turns out that it is, in fact, trivially simple to add new liquids with the config file. Great! If anyone needs help with that I can post some sample code.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
  9. Cubear

Cubear Tentacle Wrangler

When I edit those properties onto a gun I get a Perfectly Generic Item. Are you sure we can't convince you to release what you've done as a mod?

10. Belyal

Belyal Tentacle Wrangler

Not a coder - I'd love a mod for this Water/lava/poison gun! I'm building a base on an asteroid in space and want to add lava and such to it =D

11. bluecollarart

Sure, no problem. I figured someone else had probably already released a water balloon gun mod. I'll put something together today.

12. bluecollarart

I put together a simple version, I'll release it properly on the site in a bit, but for now here it is, attached to this post.

First, you'll need Tabula Rasa to craft the new items. Get that here: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/the-tabula-rasa.114/

Install that and the Balloon Cannon mod, and you'll get 4 new recipes at the Tabula Rasa station that allow you to craft four different guns, each of which can shoot a different kind of liquid, including Water, Lava, Acid, and a new liquid, Medigel. Medigel is a liquid that you can breathe, and while immersed you'll gain a small warmth buff, slow health regen, and your hunger will stop increasing. It won't extinguish torches, either, making it useful for both mining and building.

More changes coming.

Attached Files:

Bacon likes this.