1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Linux64 Fails to start

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by necrogami, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

See this thread for a complete howto.

############ old post:

Ok, last try. We can change the loader from /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 to /tmp/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2. For that we have to replace a string in starbound_server.

I've created a binary diff. You need the program bspatch for this.
    Download the diff to the directory where starbound_server is saved. Also download my .so files from here. Extract it next to linux64/starbound_server and proceed with the following steps
    Code:
    # Apply the patch
    $ bspatch starbound_server starbound_server_patched starbound-loader.bspatch

# Make the new server executable
    $ chmod a+x starbound_server_patched

# Rename the original one
    $ mv starbound_server starbound_server_org

# Rename the patched server
    $ mv starbound_server_patched starbound_server

# Copy the new loader from my tar.gz (the file in linux_loader-dont-know-if-you-need-this/) to /tmp/ and set the right permissions
    $ cp ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 /tmp/
    $ chmod 755 /tmp/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

# Run the server
    $ ./launch_starbound_server.sh

Reminder
    • Some distros delete the content of /tmp on restart, so you have to copy the loader back to this directory if you restart your server
    • You need to apply the patch everytime starbound_server gets updated

EDIT: Updated the howto a little bit.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
    meggawatts likes this.
  2. TheMap

TheMap Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I appreciate your attempts at fixing this but it shouldn't take all this to run it on linux. That link provided is the same download as before.

3. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

yeah, im bored ;) promised my friends to start playing starbound together with them...
    i've updated the link

4. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

Your patch worked for me.

I am running Ubuntu 12.10 64-bit and could not get it working for the life of me. No vorbis or anything.
    Tried your libs first and had the earlier error, then just used the patch and it runs great.

Hopefully they can fix this so all this extra work is not required. Should put this info into a usability bug,

As a sidenote, 32-bit works fine on my system. Just the 64-bit version had all these problems.

5. noxbird

noxbird Tentacle Wrangler

You guys are amazing. I've got a CentOS 6.4 64 bit VM running on my XenServer now just for Starbound! <3

6. TheMap

TheMap Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I updated repositories in debian and downloaded the libs through aptitude to get them, worked fine.

7. NiNi

NiNi Big Damn Hero

I'm getting permission denied errors? Tried running as root aswell but same issue:

[root@mc ~]# chmod 777 -R starbound/
    [root@mc ~]# cd starbound/Starbound/linux64
    [root@mc linux64]# ./launch_starbound_server.sh
    ./launch_starbound_server.sh: line 5: ./starbound_server: Permission denied

8. NiNi

NiNi Big Damn Hero

Ah nevermind, i managed to get it running using wine cmd on centos 6.3. Easy enough~

Using the windows version untill the linux one isnt awkward to use

edit: Untill it started to break and spit out access violations... Back to the drawing board!

9. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

I'm happy that it worked!

Hi Nini, try chmod -R 755 starbound/ instead of chmod 777 -R starbound/

10. senator32

senator32 Space Hobo

Thanks for your work Jamsen. I too am running CentOS and have the same permission denied error mentioned above. I have tried both 755 and 777 as well as chmod a+x and chmod +x to no avail. Also, operating as Root so no issues there and I checked that root owns the files.

Still get:
    ./launch_starbound_server.sh: line 5: ./starbound_server: Permission denied
    Any thoughts? Any of you that got it working with CentOS...any thoughts? Thanks all!

-Larry

11. d3k0y

d3k0y Scruffy Nerf-Herder

12. Debian/Ubuntu up to date should be able to run the linux server vanilla or SteamCMD or Vine emulation

Up to dates CentOS won't be able to run the linux server vanilla (you need to recompile newer version of gcc and openssl because CentOS is based on older packages), but you should be able to run the server via SteamCMD (if SteamCMD supports CentOS not sure) or Vine methods.

In short if you are on CentOS and not really comfortable using Linux, forget running vanilla Linux server via the .sh script directly

13. bkg

bkg Subatomic Cosmonaut

Same error with ./launch_starbound_server.sh: line 5: ./starbound_server: Permission denied a chmod dosent help some one a idea?

it´s a Debain squeezy i think,

14. ednos

ednos Space Hobo

Signed up for the forums to say that I have this exact problem that was described before the thread was derailed with a totally different issue. Has anyone discovered a solution or workaround for this?

15. Patchu

Patchu Intergalactic Tourist

Just spent a while finding out these exact things. It appears CentOS 6.5 has libssl 1.0.1 installed, while the starbound server is looking for libssl 1.0.0, and it has gcc 4.4.7 installed, while starbound is looking for things provided by at LEAST 4.6.0.

Might be possible to run it with the .sh if you compile and place the shared objects it's looking for in the linux64 directory, but I'm too lazy to try and do that with gcc. Outright compiling and installing a newer version of gcc is a no-go as it'll probably break the OS in at least some way.

Also, while steamcmd runs fine on CentOS, it only installs the server; you'd still have to launch it the same way. Wine is probably the only realistic way to do this under CentOS right now, and from what I've seen in this thread, even that's not fully working.

16. Furiouss

Furiouss Yeah, You!

Hi all, I tried to install on CentOS 6.5 my server, but at it's failling :'(
    I compiled GCC 4.6.2, i tried to compile openssl-1.0.0 but it did nothing i still have :

Code:
    [root@toto linux64]# ./launch_starbound_server.sh
    ./starbound_server: error while loading shared libraries: libssl.so.1.0.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

anyone found ?

17. astarteviviani

astarteviviani Tentacle Wrangler

Oddly on my system Linux64 doesn't work but Linux64 does.

I also noted that specific versions of the libraries are looked for, but most libraries on my system have a higher version number. I'm on a Fedora.

18. Jansen

Jansen Aquatic Astronaut

19. Furiouss

Furiouss Yeah, You!

I just tried your solution, using both posts, it seams to work !
    Server launched, the log is not very positive (in my point of view)
    Code:
    Info: Shutting down world alpha:5630573:56720352:-17414942:9:1
    Warn: Perf: UniverseServer::run.innerloop millis: 150
    but after installing and launching the game, I can connect, i'll try tonight with other ppl to see if it works with more than 1 ppl ! :)
    Thanks a lot !

20. mssux

mssux Master Chief

I had the same problem too and needed to set the permissions on the ld-linux-x86-64-so-2 file in /tmp/ once I changed the permissions it ran the server