Just bought this game...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ellindsey, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Then to be clearer: go back to the top of the mines, and descend as nearly as you can to where you were. :) For example, if you're having problems with level 21, exit to the top, and take the elevator back down to 20...then the stairs to 21. This shouldn't take much time at all, and will make your life...well, not necessarily easier on the 21st level when you visit it again, but certainly different.

Note too that all the ore and precious stone will reset (as well as its placement), so you can effectively mine the level for more material to use in crafting.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

have fun smashing rocks too! It counts as experience to Mining, you can gather stone and you can find ladders under rocks

• ellindsey

ellindsey Space Spelunker

I am very annoyed at Marnie for not selling eggs or milk. She has the cows and chickens, and her dialog mentions that she gets eggs and milk from them .. but she's not willing to sell those to me, only animals and animal supplies. It looks like the only way to reliably get those in the game is to actually raise the animals yourself.

Unintentionally got to 7 hearts with Penny after saving a Perfect quality poppy from my farm from the spring and giving it on her birthday. I expected a heart jump, but not that much of one. Perfect quality + birthday bonus + favorite gift grants you a lot.

And I'm about to give Abigail her bouquet after getting her 8 hearts event. Going to do it right in front of her dad, too. That's what you get for not supporting your daughter's ambitions, Pierre. I'm going to lead her away into a life of adventure and unladylike behavior.

Nearly at the end of the first year, and I may have gone a bit overboard on the friendship/romance aspect of the game. I've given bouquets to Abigail, Penny, Shane, Emily, Maru, and Harvey, and will be giving them to Haley, Leah, and Sebastian once I've seen their eight heart events. Still working on romancing Elliott, his gifts are hard to find. I don't think I can stomach pursuing Alex or Sam. I'm a bit behind on exploring the mines and upgrading my farm, but at least everyone loves me. I've decided that I'm going to propose to Abigail on her next birthday, and until then I'm just going to try and get nearly everyone else to ten hearts.

I'm also starting to suspect that squid don't exist, and that Willy was just pulling a practical joke on me by asking me to catch one.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
          Corraidhín and MoonlitBrenya like this.
        • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

It's all about where and when you fish.

• ellindsey

I've spent a week on the beach on winter nights. Lots of albacore and other fish, no squid.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I have one--a gold-star squid--which I caught through a total of 8 "years" of gameplay in two separate run-throughs. It's quite rare.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Seriously? I caught four of them in one week last game-winter. I suspect it's whim of the RNG.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Definitely. I remember having several years go by without catching sea cucumbers, only to catch four within the space of a couple of hours.

That said, per your remarks, squids may be less rare than I thought. Next winter I'll make a point of looking for them.

• ellindsey

I ended up buying the squid from the traveling cart. Technically, the quest just says you have to bring him a squid, not catch one, and I don't have the time to spend the rest of the winter nights fishing.

Is there any significant difference in mining speed between the copper and steel pickaxes? I need a lot of iron, gold, quartz, and coal to mine if I want to get all these sprinklers built by spring. I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade my pick from iron to copper, or if the extra two days it would take would be better off just doing more mining. I know that the gold pickaxe breaks rocks in a single hit, but that would take two upgrade steps and I don't have that much time left in the winter.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Upgrading your pickaxe should always be your number one tool priority-- remember it doesn't just change your mining speed, fewer strokes also means less energy burned, which translates to a longer working day.

• ellindsey

Right, but is there a practical difference between the copper and steel pickaxe in terms of time? The copper pickaxe already breaks most stones in two hits, and I don't get to the point of breaking stones in one hit until gold. I just have a little over a week left in Winter, and I'm trying to determine if I'm better off going to the mines every day with the copper pickaxe, or upgrading the pickaxe to steel and then having two fewer days left to mine in. I can always drop the pickaxe off for upgrade in the spring, when I'll be too busy planting and farming to mine every day like I can during the winter.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Without knowing how much ore you've already got versus how much you want, and so on, that's a hard question to answer. You imply you're planning a big sprinkler upgrade (quality sprinklers, I presume). How many do you plan to have? How many can you build already? Is it worth putting up /some/ of the planned sprinklers and watering the rest manually? If it were up to me, I'd always rather have the upgraded tools to work with. But if you don't plan to mine much come Spring, I guess it can wait.

• ellindsey

It is the 20th day of Winter. I have 10 quality sprinklers already built and placed, and I'd like to build another 10 before Spring. According to my math, for the sprinklers and the other upgrades and improvements I want to build, minus the supplies I already have, I need 72 more iron ore, 47 more gold ore, 18 more quartz, and 47 more coal. I figure I'll need to mine just about every day left in the year to get that, upgrading my hoe and watering can before the end of the year and then upgrading my pickaxe in early Spring. I'm behind schedule on where I hoped to be. I blame Willy, I wasted a week trying to catch that damn squid.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Consider the amount of energy you have available. The difference between copper and steel pickaxes is something that increases with the sheer amount of stone and ore you break--but it also means you need to rebuild your energy more often with the less efficient copper one. If you have high energy edibles and/or have consumed several stardrops, this isn't an issue. If not, then severe loss of energy will put a time limit on your mining.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Just to toss out a secondary possibility-- is your income already good enough to consider buying some of those ores from Clint? I know it's an expensive way to get ore, but depending on your income it might be worth the monetary hit. Also, if you have wood to spare, don't forget you can /make/ coal using a charcoal kiln.You'd still have to get the quartz on your own, of course, but it could take some pressure off. (And I do hope you've been using broken glasses and CD's-- fishing trash-- to generate refined quartz too, using a recycler.) Remember, the game gives you alternative ways to gather many of your resources.

• ellindsey

I had forgotten all about the recycling machine. I can get one of those made right away and start processing the pile of broken CDs and glasses that I accumulated during fishing. That will help quite a bit, thanks.

• sunlite

sunlite Pangalactic Porcupine

This reminds me, in my year 4 game it wasn't until a couple of in-game months ago that I got all 4 dwarf scrolls. And I still haven't caught a lingcod ;-;

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Wow... a lot of people got this game the moment it came out...?

I waited a few months ... <.<

EHEM! but I have been loving this game ever since! there is always something fun and relaxing to kill time withX3

Good man! I salute you!