June 25th - More Outpost Progress!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Customizable? Where did you ever get the impression that was the case?

2. LordQ

LordQ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Wow, looking fan-tastic! I have to echo previous sentiments though in that I hope that we won't be able to break down outposts with impunity. Perhaps we can have a variation on the system whereby a 'boss' or something along those lines has to be beaten before outpost blocks and features can be broken? And in that case, if the 'boss' is beaten, then the people in the outpost should disappear. After all, why wouldn't you evacuate if a rogue super-pirate starting raiding your building?

Zael and Hatsya Souji like this.
  3. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

niceJob on the outposts. actually ran into one while ;ooking aroind last time i played. Suggestion, make at least the outer dooes unvreakable and have Guards who get mad if you damage the structure.

4. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Nice, except the plumbing fixtures look old styled....
    Who would use porcelain in this age?

Zael likes this.
  5. Stargazer Killa

Stargazer Killa Aquatic Astronaut

Will I be able to get the new look of these outposts in a world before this was added, do I need to travel further into the planet?
    EDIT: I tried when the Nightly was updated and sadly, it just made the world loop and I couldn't find more outposts. Seems I shall have to fly somewhere else.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
  6. neotask

neotask Void-Bound Voyager

I wonder if there will be outposts in places without breathable air and if those will contain some kind of airlocks at the entrances, if NPCs will use breathing gear when outside and if things go bad if I would break a hole in a wall of such outpost. Because I'd rather won't have any life on airless planets than everyone walking around with no problems while my character must wear special gear to survive...

Lecic, Dyskord and Zael like this.
  7. Zael

Zael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm guessing what he meant was for them to concentrate for a while on building a fresh stable build, so that it could be shipped.

8. SkeletonGamer123

SkeletonGamer123 Subatomic Cosmonaut

9. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Be careful, devs. If you make your outposts and dungeons too pretty, i think people may get unmotivated to build. They'll just move into the dev-made bases. These already look too comfortable.

skydart and Hatsya Souji like this.
  10. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

I don't know where it's coming from, but if you can't loot outposts with impunity, I hope you'll let people buy, craft, or print outpost furniture and blocks without having to use admin commands.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  11. Galaxydog1

Galaxydog1 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Even though Starbound is to date in early beta, it's already full of variety, and the dev team isn't stopping there. Good job guys!

I wonder if the outpost is gonna be kind of like an npc village since it's supposed to have a welcoming vibe, or if it's a death trap using a welcoming vibe as bait.:unsure:

12. NonBritGit

NonBritGit Cosmic Narwhal

Of course, in the future, the bathroom doors will have an eradicator beam that kills all germs on your way out.

13. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That's a good point you made! Hopefully later we'll get some terraforming tools, which could make building our own bases more interesting - I think of underwater cities or big buildings that require a very large flat area.

14. starboundish

starboundish Phantasmal Quasar

You wanted "own" outposts for the player to customize? Hm this might be an idea too (and possibly implemented some time) but from what I've understood the outposts shall give players a pre-built place to meet, upgrade their ships and trade in their goods (like selling your crops or seeds for example), not a place that was kinda built by the player.

15. Heke0

Heke0 Void-Bound Voyager

The outposts are starting to look real nice!
    Also, good thing the bathrooms have those little toilet stalls since otherwise, in a world where everyone can see behind walls, going there would be a bit awkward.
    Blurring out rooms you're not in might be a pretty neat feature as well though, for bathrooms or custom pvp and adventure maps alike.

16. starboundish

starboundish Phantasmal Quasar

Even with beautiful outposts I'd always build my own thing. For me that is extremely essential in sandbox games.

17. Eurotrash

Eurotrash Big Damn Hero

Don't know, maybe the fact that everything besides the ship is customizable? Or the fact that the interior of ship actually is customizable (can place objects inside and such)?

When a game like Starbound goes linear it's a sign that we need to start being skeptical about it...

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

The whole "special object preventing you from manipulating a dungeon until you find and disable it" idea is really really old though.

Also, the (possible) fact that you might not be able to manipulate outposts does not make the game "linear".

Jeoshua likes this.
  19. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

I actually kind of hope that they have a good in-game reason why the Outposts are NOT user modifiable, like guards that stop you from breaking stuff, or walls made out of Carbyne so they can't be broken. There is no reason for the player to be able to take it apart piece by piece. What purpose could that serve?

On the other hand, what's so wrong about the idea that the player might prefer to live in what basically amounts to a "space city?" I, for one, will be setting one of these as my Home Planet, and trying to build a little base somewhere underground. You just can't beat quick access to a reliable source of income and trading.

I guess I'm a city boy, at heart.

20. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Or maybe you shouldn't presume everything follows a trend forever. Taking an outpost apart should not be as easy as robbing a current village because A it's where you will go to sell stuff and B where you get quests. Now if those blocks end up being for sale or say you find some derelict outposts to ransack then yes that works but as long as the outposts are hubs for progression in several ways they should be untouchable to the players kleptomaniac tendencies

Bronze Dog, Lecic and Kawa like this.