June 25 - Changing JSON Merging

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jun 25, 2014.

1. eris.control

eris.control Void-Bound Voyager

I say scrap __merge and use the RFC, but also write an automated tool to convert old patches to the new system if you think that is within your capabilities. The community will thank you.

2. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

If they don't, the community will.

And then they'll find out that .npctype and probably a few others require very specific handling.

Armed Mosquito likes this.
  3. Target-san

Target-san Subatomic Cosmonaut

Totally agree. Would be nice if Chucklefish concentrates on modding API for the after-upcoming update. I wanted to make nice modular powersuits, but alas, we can't script armor MC way. Or making skyrails not requiring tech, only skyrail grapple item.

4. Sevidra

Sevidra Existential Complex

I'm good with anything that actually works.

I'd like to know hat learning a new system _would_ actually work. If it does, I'm all for it. If it doesn't, I don't want to bother. That's all.

-Sevi

5. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

6. Armed Mosquito

Armed Mosquito Existential Complex

oh maybe with this new system I wont have a issue merging new sales on vendors within vanilla starbound! I hope so with the current system I am unable to merge more items and such to npcs! This new system is very specific so I am hoping I can use the value to add blueprints and such stuff to vendors.

Hey nice link you made @Kawa!

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Thank you. I hope it'll be as helpful some day as that thing I just sent you ;)

Armed Mosquito likes this.
  8. Armed Mosquito

Armed Mosquito Existential Complex

Thanks a bunch! This will be very helpful stuff now I can convert all my merges with a head start!

9. Scival

Scival Oxygen Tank

So, are we getting the update or not?

10. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

You just read it. :cool:

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

For any other update this'd be true but allow me to rephrase Scival's question:

Will we get JSON Patch then, or are we sticking with __merge?

Because this thread's opening post was a request for comments. "Next Monday" has come and gone, so all we need is an official word. If there already was one I must've missed it.

12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

fair enough :cool:

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

But either way it goes, I for one am prepared!