June 23rd - Making sure you feel welcome!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jun 23, 2014.

1. kinzuko

kinzuko Zero Gravity Genie

yes! everyone knows plants do better when getting sucked into a vacuum:laugh:!

Seajun_ likes this.
  2. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

Am I the only one hoping to find an outpost on a meteor world and just stroll through the ruins of it?

Seajun_ likes this.
  3. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

I'm liking the cold color scheme and the sharp lines. And sparse, lively plants like that one really make things pop by contrast; and having the light in the pot is a really nice touch! Are you still keeping the bronze pipes in the final version or are you considering other colors like the secondary yellow or a silver, maybe? ;)

Seajun_ likes this.
  4. I will be sorely tempted to not steal one of those to use as my own base.
    Looking very nice! I'll await with bated breath the moment I can have one for myself.

5. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love those new blocks and furnitures and whatever you call thems. When I find an outpost when this comes out, I will take out all the stores and claim it as my home.

6. Armagon

Armagon Gameplay Design, Sound & Dungeon Guy Chucklefish

It's generally very subtle things, like having variations on each room where the furniture set might be orientated one direction, ideally the opposing lobby has them facing the other. Because the object layers allow me to keep a room's overall design but make variations on its decoration, I tend to restrict it from using that decoration set more than once. Little things like that to decrease repetitive elements.

Probably not, it will likely use our planned shield generator in a location just out of player's reach. However you will at the very least be able to acquire outpost blocks and objects through other means. Quite possibly the Infinity Express store. We haven't really got that nailed down just yet.

MysticMalevolence, Kawa and Seajun_ like this.
  7. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Looks very cool, nice job!

8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

But @Armagon , what about an airlock chamber? As other posters have pointed out, plants aren't exactly an ideal thing for a airlock area. How about a combined airlock/entrance piece?

9. oceansRising

oceansRising Pangalactic Porcupine

Looking good. I can say that I feel very welcome.

10. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

whaaaaaa? Will we be able to destroy the generator if we dig a tunnel into the room? Or wherever it is?

11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That's the thing, isn't it? If the generator is sealed off behind protected blocks, you wouldn't be able to disable it ;)

12. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Unless I use the super matter manipulator from Creative Mode Mod to harvest the wall.

13. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Geez. Wouldn't be a very good protection generator if that'd work. But then again, that's kinda the point of a creative mode, no?

14. maga

maga Scruffy Nerf-Herder

mhm.

15. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

You probably won't be able to reach it, normally, unless you decrease the zoom as well.

16. SmoothGuy

SmoothGuy Phantasmal Quasar

Your potential tendency for small details is the best thing for design in my opinion, reason is simple, most of developers ignore the little details in their games, while focusing on big things, thinking that it will do whole game good, and that's the point where everything goes wrong, whilst you are focusing yourself on small things that make the big things look even more worked on and precise

Details are one of the most significant aspects in game developement in my opinion

Thank you

Mackinz likes this.
  17. Caitsen

Caitsen Void-Bound Voyager

The Outpost idea seems absolutely phenomenal.

18. starboundish

starboundish Phantasmal Quasar

This looks very good. Thanks for sharing!

19. Desolator

Desolator Pangalactic Porcupine

Am I able to build my own outpost? Or will it be pre generated? Because I really wanna make my outpost on and ocean world like Mother Base in Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain and such.