June 21 - Saturday Bonus Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jun 21, 2014.

1. Demonoid74

Demonoid74 Star Wrangler

I don't want , anybody else , when I think about lights I touch myself!
    errr....move along , nothing to see here people...

Anyways...nice work! keep it up

Jbeetle likes this.
  2. Supreme Suprise

Supreme Suprise Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm liking this bonus update. it sure was a bright idea! Keep up the good work.

Jbeetle likes this.
  3. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

I'm trying to be patient, but there's so many things in these blog posts and on the wiki I'm looking forward to. Ocean planets, Hylotl cities, ships, outposts, properly working wiring. Got a lot of plans for building a base, and that's going to require a fair bit of collecting.

Jbeetle likes this.
  4. GeneralM13

GeneralM13 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Lookin good :D keep up the good work :D

5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

i hope ocean biomes get fixed soon

6. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

Haha, Reminds me of the poor souls who read the "Announced game information" thread before the beta, they tried to wait but then they would read that thread and see so many things they wanted to try ASAP. X3

Bronze Dog likes this.
  7. shuruga

shuruga Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, switching light !
    I was waiting for this.
    Now make dungeon offer more possibilities.

8. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

@metadept could we finally get the alarm light to be switchable as well.

9. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

I'd really like some less.. obvious switch options. For those areas we'd like to keep hidden.

Nice update though, thanks for the info.

10. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

PhysicalImprobableBushsqueaker.gif xD

[​IMG]

11. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

Yep, I gave the alarm a pulsing light effect.

Well, they aren't hidden but I did add a 'tiny' (1x1) wall button and switch that aren't quite so obvious and make it easier to build dense wire systems. There are a few (sort of) hidden switch options among the glitch objects, such as a suit of armor and a set of wall shackles, and we may add more like this (and for other races) in the future.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Stylµs likes this.
  12. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

Lol... I noticed the comments aren't going up nearly as fast as usual.

13. Frubio

Frubio Yeah, You!

Weeeeew! Keep it up guys \o/

14. Draekrio

Draekrio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have to ask. What's the point of this going to become? I Mean the lights and the switches are cool and all but what purpose are they going to serve in the more completed product? is there going to be power that we need to save by turning lights off when we dont need them (and also making background window tiles more important for daylighy) or are there going to be some manner of unique occurances that only happen if we let it stay dark around us?

Don't get me wrong I really think it's a nice feature update but what will it actually DO beyond simple creative mode aesthetics construction?

Bronze Dog likes this.
  15. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This is why I rather upgrade my computer than buying a new console and it's overpriced games :)

16. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

Definitely a thing that gets me to buy all these open development games. Over on the Dwarf Fortress forums, we've been eagerly awaiting the next big update since we were calling it DF 2012.

Given my creative impulses, I think it's plenty. But yeah, it'd make things interesting if we had to manage our bases' power or if there was a good reason to leave an area in darkness, like mushroom or mob farming in Minecraft. (In Terraria, I like to leave glowing mushroom biomes unlit to bathe in the eerie blue mushroom light.) Personally, I like the idea of power management. My big base plans include a reactor room, and it'd be nice if it wasn't just for flavor. I won't be surprised if someone has already designed a mod for it. Power generation might also be a racial thing. Avians get crystal generator recipes, Glitch go from medieval to steam/dungeon punk, Florans literally grow power plants, and so on.

One thought for possible utility: Area that's dimly lit. It's bright enough for visitors to navigate without feeling a need to turn on a light, but dark enough that they might miss a secret of some kind. The owner can turn on the light if he forgot the exact block it's located on.

Thought for dungeon atmosphere: Abandoned location with several existing lights turned off. The player turns them on to discover messages written in blood or some other horror.

17. metadept

Sounds like you might enjoy Starfoundry! It's a mod I made with some other talented folks that adds an energy mechanic, as well as pipes to transport liquids and items, and a bunch of other stuff. Some of this content (or similar) might make it into the base game eventually.

Armagon has already been talking about using lighting for dungeon atmosphere and puzzles, so you'll probably get your wish on this one.

Bronze Dog and Kawa like this.
  18. squirrel_killer-

squirrel_killer- Sandwich Man

Even a dev has a need to preform a shameless self plug... I have even more respect for you my friend.

NovastarX likes this.
  19. metadept

My secret agenda is to get enough players requesting automation features that Tiy will prioritize it as an addition to the base game. Maybe not a realistic plan, but a man can dream!

20. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

My dream recently is an isOutboundNodeConnected method :)