June 21 - Saturday Bonus Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jun 21, 2014.

1. starboundish

starboundish Phantasmal Quasar

Neato. I love it.

Ghostican likes this.
  2. Ado

Ado Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

looks nice.
    All the fancy lights and switches!

3. Prop

Prop Subatomic Cosmonaut

Not enough holographic screens, 2/10.

But in all seriousness, good work! And also can we have more holograms?

4. Bronze Dog

Bronze Dog Starship Captain

I appreciate the console fix. I've been wanting to use the durasteel and/or ferozium consoles in my base.

5. Mippy

Mippy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The light coming from torches, most of the lamps, campfires and so on are still all buggy .. Shining through walls and stuff. 1 torch in my house lights up every single corner of every nearby room and even the surroundings outside!! Why don't you make it work like in "Mark of the Ninja"? Have a look. The light is blocked by walls and floor, NOT shining through solid objects http://www.wasd.ms/index.php?page=A...59&h=b3af95d7dc6a5f6874d3f763c47075ae6bc999cc

http://www.2d-x.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Mark-of-the-Ninja-2.png

6. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

That's not a bug, there are two different types of lighting in Starbound. Some use diffuse light while others use point light with raycasting effects like you describe. Having too many raycast light sources gets very expensive to render, so most common objects only use diffuse lighting.

7. Mippy

Hmn would it be possible to add an option to make every light source use point light (in a later version)?

8. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

We might consider that at some point later in development, yeah. In the meantime, it can also be done with mods by setting a pointLight parameter to true on all light-emitting objects.

matheod and Mippy like this.
  9. Mippy

This is great, because it wouldn't just look a lot better, it would also be great for PvP (hiding in shadows etc) and cave exploration for more thrill

10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Pretty sure there's a mod that does that already to some degree. It tanks performance though

11. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Does that mean those tesala spike lights are fixed?
    Because I may like the occasional rave party now and then. Starbound in Slideshow mode wasn't very enjoyable.

12. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Noice fixing, Meta! Now you should add the recipes for the tiered tables and any other tiered objects, just so we can use the full set.

Stay away from Gardevoir, perv.

Jeoshua and Kawa like this.
  13. pigeonman007

pigeonman007 Void-Bound Voyager

The lights look really good. I am also enjoying all the colors!

14. Gumdrop Meadowz

Gumdrop Meadowz Cosmic Narwhal

This is all really, really awesome...

but there is one thing that's SERIOUSLY WRONG!

...Could you adjust that first gif of them turning on and off the lights to make it a complete cycle, with her running off screen to the right...?

Like I said, I was completely mortified.

15. rockstarowen

rockstarowen Space Hobo

Are these updates like, out? Because i'm seeing all these new things people talk about on here and i've seen none of this, I keep hearing about new updates and i haven't had one for weeks, i dont know whats happening.. sorry if i'm bothering anybody i'm just confused and new to the site.

16. These are just updates on the developers' end, not the actual in-game updates. They're done during the week everyday barring the weekend (today's update is an exception to this). I do believe some of the content is available in the Nightly builds, however (this can be opted into in your Steam settings like the Unstable builds. Back-up your saves if you decide to do this!).

Hope that clarified things for you and welcome to the forums. :)

17. Galactic Avatar

Galactic Avatar Cosmic Narwhal

I want the next patch to so very badly.... everyday new goodness is posted and I get none of it... NONE (I'll do experimental butI'm not a nightly person... masochism is not my thing)
    Why must they tease us so? The ship update was supposed to have been "SOON[tm]" and then everyone needed to move and then they needed to get settled...

I need me some new content lubbin's! I will even play a glitch and use their AI (shudder) if I have too... but I gotta have my fix soon, or when it does come I may just OD on goodness!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Nynjah likes this.
  18. Nynjah

Nynjah Void-Bound Voyager

These lamps look great! The Violium lamp looks the best in my opinion. Don't freak out, it's just what I think. The purple glow and crystal look is really nice.
    The tiered switches also look really good. Good work, team! :up:

19. Nynjah

Nynjah Void-Bound Voyager

"SOON™ "

-Chucklefish 2014:poke:

Galactic Avatar likes this.
  20. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

My roommate is going to torture me with those pink lamps.