June 13 - Just some dev chat

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jun 13, 2014.

1. krapmyself

krapmyself Void-Bound Voyager

Not exactly "Grandma's Boy" is it?

2. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

JBeetle saves the day once again.

Aeolipyle likes this.
  3. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Master Chief

4. [pixelmonster]

[pixelmonster] Big Damn Hero

Finally through the wall of text... was kinda expecting it to be more entertaining... :lod:

5. PwnagPotato11

PwnagPotato11 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To summarize this is that they talk about Lunch, Nightly Patches, and Their Puppy. :lickitung:+:zombie:=:cancel: :lickitung:+:poo:=:cancel: :lickitung:+:)=:confirm:

6. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Set is unordered. Vector doesn't handle arbitrary inserts well, only push_back. Deques only do push_front and push_back well. So we're left with lists being the only performant option. Essentially, we made it out of a std::map of linked list iterators (for random access), and a linked list (for ordering).

7. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Master Chief

No, it isn't.
    Insertion is linear, but vectors are sequential. If you're working with data of any reasonable size, cache misses during iteration will screw you over long before the linear insertion does. ( Edit: ) And if you're doing mass insertions, you can probably just insert at the end, sort the inserted range, and then do an inplace_merge.

8. OmnipotentEntity

Hmm... you're right. I wonder why kyren wanted to implement it then. I'll ask her tomorrow.

9. OmnipotentEntity

Oh! I'm so sorry. My bad. I had this backwards. Terminology error. We needed an ordered set, meaning we specify the order. 14 hour day. Unordered_set doesn't do this either.

10. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Master Chief

You mean you have data that has to be sorted in an unintuitive fashion? I'm fairly sure sets and maps allow you to specify the comparison function on creation.

Edit: I'm not hounding you, now I'm actually curious as to what you were trying to do.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    OmnipotentEntity likes this.
  11. OmnipotentEntity

No, I mean data whose order has meaning, but having two copies of the same data in the set is disallowed.

For instance, consider a list of gui windows. You don't want to duplicate the windows. You do want random access, and you also want to be able insert or move a window to the top quickly. (And order matters, because drawing order.)

I suppose a better name for this would be OrderableSet

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  12. Equinox80

Equinox80 Void-Bound Voyager

Awesome! Loved this post. Got immersed in it haha, before I knew it I finished it all and noticed eyes peering at me. Yeah out with my wife on our anniversary, but could not help myself and had to read this. Sounds so fun working with a team :/ awesome guys keep up the good work.

13. Phoenyx

Phoenyx Master Chief

Ahhhh, okay, I'm starting to get a picture. You want a randomly accessible sequential container with no duplicate entries. It.. still sounds like something you'd want to build on top of a vector, honestly. It's the "no duplicate entries" bit that's weird. Item lists comes to mind. Being able to refer to objects by name also sounds useful, but maybe you'd want some weird combination of an unordered set and a vector.. Ehh, whatever, I can't really give any relevant input without knowing the problem domain better.

Either way, hope it all works out cleanly. Good luck.

OmnipotentEntity likes this.
  14. OmnipotentEntity

Depending on usage a deque or vector based solution might wind up being faster, especially if it's iterate often modify seldom.

We won't bother trying to optimize it much more right now, because I don't really have much indication that it's going to be hot code. But I will keep your suggestion in mind in the future if needed. Thanks for the interest, and I'm sorry about earlier. I was a little bit burned out, and I got c++ terminology conventions confused.

Phoenyx likes this.
  15. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I noticed you guys talking about the camera with the fixed position camera. Might I ask what the limits are to modifying the camera? Like, for example, changing the angle. I want to know if it's possible to mod in something where the camera is flipped 180 degrees or even 90 degrees.

16. Zaninite

Zaninite Master Chief

I myself am hoping to go into programming, and i dont know much about it yet, but im saving for school for it. Reading this post makes me want to try even harder! You guys are great!

Flannicus90 likes this.
  17. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Can't you just do that when you're editing the video?

Kawa likes this.
  18. phytophile

phytophile Void-Bound Voyager

i love you ppl. fwiw.

19. PwnagPotato11

PwnagPotato11 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Are You Guys going to improve the FPS/Engine of Starbound? Because My Mac has some Lag spikes while Playing.

20. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

In case you didn't hear, it has been stated officially that optimization will come during phase two of the beta (which I recall to be feature complete). We are here discussing stage one, which is mainly development of features (or something, the important bit is that it isn't about optimizing).