July 7th Progress

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Tiy, Jul 7, 2014.

1. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

MY FIRST 2nd PAGE POST EVER!!! wo0000000 \o/

floran prison dungeons could finally have a use!
    i always freed those suckers and felt like there has to be something happening - nada..

or the USCM prison,... put all those prisoners back in their place, eh?

But hey, with that quest system you can actually mod it to be a RP game, uhhhhhh!
    Skyrim Starbound ?... COMING SOON(tm)

Peridius and Slimy like this.
  2. EmGeHo

EmGeHo Cosmic Narwhal

Exploration quests
    Artefact hunting
    Plant collecting
    Freeing certain people from prisons or hostile encampments that somehow allows you to access new ship upgrades, areas, codex information etc.
    Explore the culture of another race
    I also always liked quests that has you looking for or piecing together unique items, be it armour, some ancient weapon or otherwise, possibly made by a certain race. The members of which would then comment you on having acquired said item.

I look forward to long quests chains that have you solving puzzles, meeting people and exploring dungeons to achieve a goal, little or small for seemingly insignificant individuals asking for help.

Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
    JoeBlk, Hoploo and Slimy like this.
  3. A quest for a pet friend would be really cool

Something like
    • Meet an accomplished toymaker who wants you to gather 5 parts
    • the 5 parts can be found in different mini-biome chests
    • taking the 5th part always summons a mini-boss of sorts
    • every part returned gives you pixels and a vanity item
    • upon returning the 5th part, the toymaker gives you a mechanical poptop toy that will follow you as a pet

4. Firerexred4

Firerexred4 Void-Bound Voyager

yes this kind of quest

vanella and Hatsya Souji like this.
  5. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

Make tech-based quests!

I wanna race against an NPC with the Dash tech, complete an obstacle course in a morph ball, blow things up for a reason with a mech! =D

6. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oooh, quests =3. And so the plot of Starbound thickens.

Firerexred4, Hoploo and LastDay like this.
  7. timothyhay

timothyhay Orbital Explorer

"build x on planet y" or even "rebuild x at location y"
    X could be "house" (simplest), "kitchen", "science lab" or whatever. Obviously you'd have to specify what needs to go in, but as long as it had walls / door / roof / back wall you could be pretty flexible. A kitchen at it's simplest would just be a room with a door and an oven and a cupboard.
    Rebuild would be something like "here's a derelict house, rebuild it".

8. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Start a fight on Avian airship [y] and kill everybody. (or just kill [x] Avian pirates, where [x] is slightly less than the minimum number on a ship).
    Liberate an Apex village by killing all of the guards.
    Kill [x] number of monster [y], and feed them to monster [z].
    Gather [x] number of fruit from trees/plants [y] (drops from cutting down, or maybe they just grow on them), and feed to monster [z].
    Attack monster [y] with weapon type [z] while carrying data recorder [x].
    Kill all the guards in a Floran prison and free all the prisoners.
    Put down a prison riot by killing [x] number of prisoners in a USCM prison.
    Frame NPC [x] by planting contraband on him, notify the guards, and watch him get killed or arrested.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  9. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Okay, sorry to be "that guy" but from the context it sounds like there will be an update soonish? If so, yay!

Well regardless, keep up the good work. Everything sounds great! (Maybe I will try the nightly builds soon.)

Blake81, Galactic Avatar and Skix like this.
  10. prodamn

prodamn Spaceman Spiff

to decide on one quest is a punishment there are so many uses...

VIllager X has lost item Y - return item for reward
    Monster X on Planet Y has killed Villager Z - Reward for Revenge!
    bandit group X robbed village Y - bring back loot for reward
    Cultist group X exercising ritual Y - stop in <time limit> for reward
    Wizard X needs you to find items A,B,C,D,E,F,G for spell casting - find and return items for reward
    Outlaw group X robbed space bank Y - return loot for reward
    Alien X invaded planet Y at <coords> - free planet in <time limit> for reward
    Dog X from Villager Y went sick - find antidote for reward

Multiplayer ?
    Player X's ship broke - help reparing for reward

IDEA... :idea:

11. Sokina

Sokina Heart of Gold

Hopefully among the randomly generated quest, there'll be randomly generated modifiers that go with it.

Oh, you're in an enemy base, gathering parts? Well, what if, for example, a random powerful (But not too powerful) monster escapes from a containment area and you have to abandon your current object of gathering parts / recon, and slay the creature. Basically, bounties. Randomly generated optional objectives / modifiers that can be added on top of the already randomly generated quests.

Like, you're tasked with killing a bunch of creatures not native to the biome you're currently in, but you stumble across the people responsible with letting them loose. You can either continue to slay the creatures, or track down the culprits and kill them for a bonus objective.

12. Musetrigger

Musetrigger Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Or how about something technical?

Find an abandoned outpost on a deserted moon and gain the quest to restore its power, life support, weapons system, etc.

13. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

just copying my reddit comment here:

Not really relevant but I always hoped that one day monsters will drop unique items which you can use for quests or maybe even item creation. So maybe that monsters drop items depending on their single parts. So you can get quests that ask you to get 5 big eye's or something, and big eyes are only dropped by monsters with the one huge eye head. Or hooves or such things, it would give the monsters more unique feel, would make killing different monsters more than just getting money and maybe steaks from them and would also give the player another reason to explore more planets, because he needs to search a monster with this or that specific monster part because he needs items from it.

Also it would make it easy for me to mod a Monster Hunter style weapon smithing system :D

OH, oh oh and an idea for a mission would be bring a NPC or item back to his homeplanet. I really enjoyed these types of quests in FTL and I think they would work great in Starbound as well. Maybe you find a lone Avian somewhere (like the loners in their lonely houses) and they ask you to take them to a village. (They get beamed onto the ship when you accept so you don't have to bother with them walking across planets. When you found one maybe you can talk to a guardian if they have still place for one of their kind, and then the guy gets beamed down and now lives happily in their village.

:D

And hell, because we are already at it, another big, but not relevant idea I always had was giving the player a monster encyclopedia. Each monster you meet gets an entry with a picture of it, it's attacks and the planet where you've found it, maybe even with the level. You can then also search for monster parts so you can easily see if you have already found such a monster and where, which could be relevant to aforementioned idea. Also it would make monsters feel unique and give you also a sense of new progression (think of pokemon, but unlimited).

Zouleena, JoeBlk, Slimy and 5 others like this.
  14. dantronix

dantronix Big Damn Hero

Anybody else notice the awesome bow wielding ballet chieftain?
    [​IMG]

15. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Not sure how you would go about it, but...

Treasure map quests.

Basically finding an item that is a treasure map (random generated) to a burried, lost tech, or lost in general item. The map when viewed would show coords to a system with planet to find it on. The item(s) in question would be either in a dirt pile or chest. Kind of like finding a treasure biome....

Regardless the rewards would be generated from pool randomly what it is, but would have at least some use. There could be various types of treasure maps; ie like building supplies, weapons, armor, vanity, etc... Anything that could have a use but would be in separate pools for each type of map.

Just an idea. The quest would end when you find that specific container that holds it, and be represented in text that you finished.

16. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

This. And this should have an impact on your relations with affected race or faction.

In fact many of your acts should have some consequences. Like stealing or killing everybody for no reason.

17. teilnehmer

teilnehmer Existential Complex

In World of Warcraft, I always hated that for years and years, there were too many wolves (was it wolves?) roaming the human settlement. Legions of players couldn't seem to solve the problem posed in the very first quest. Bummer.

If you want to be absurdly cool regarding multiplayer, plan your templates so they are able to switch to a new quest after X successful completions or X days. That way, after a while maybe all the wolves are dead and have now attracted a lot of flies, so people need fly swatters you can only get on a different planet. After X completions of that, the quest giver could be happy and not offering a quest for some days.

This would really lend a sense of accomplishments to quests, and could benefit multiplayer greatly.
    "Oh my, the old hermit asks for frogs again, handing out his absurdly funny weapons! Quick, to the swamps, before those pesky florans get there first!"

Quests with huge rewards could have a longer reload time.
    Numbers for completion should be a percentage of playerbase of the server.

JoeBlk and Slimy like this.
  18. Captn

Captn Orbital Explorer

Quests are awesome, and I am very excited to complete all of them.

but those aside, I wanted to make a few comments on that picture. I'm assuming that is the layout of a normal, standard world showing all the caves and layers of stuff to mine through. I personally would like to see a more open cave system underground. Right now it feels like you have to dig, dig, dig, and dig some more before finding a cave. Then once the cave is stripped of all visible resources, you dig some more to find a different cave. Maybe if there was a large main cave system that led basically to the bottom of the world, or just larger openings that connected. Heck, even if all those little caves connected, that alone would be reason enough to go spelunking.

And while I'm on the subject of caves, we need some way to teleport to our ships while underground, a cheap way. Even a cheap one time use teleporter to get us to the surface or our ship would be amazing. Of course, I wouldn't mind a infinite use item either...

JoeBlk, Lady Lurkin and Aegis J Hyena like this.
  19. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

That sounds great, would really give off that space pirate vibe :D

Slimy and Tamorr like this.
  20. korvas

korvas Void-Bound Voyager

I really enjoy story based quests- both serious and not. At least I want a good story when someone asks me to kill or gather stuff. MMO type quests are pretty boring, and at some point while playing Starbound I 'max out' and don't have any desire for material gain, only cool space adventures. I enjoy unique NPC interaction

Suggestions:
    "There's a spider in the walls of my ship oh please help me"
    "Get my dog back from my ex"
    "Help me with my socially unacceptable science experiements"
    "build a monster proof home for me"
    "Kill that douchbag with the huge ship"
    "which pickup line sounds best, I want to try it on my alien crush"

JoeBlk, Calvihern, Slimy and 4 others like this.