July 31st update - Programming retrospective

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Just delete playerQuests.db in your universe folder.

2. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I think above ground rooms is fine for mobs, but not for rain. Underground rooms are fine for rain, but not for mobs.

I think this is more to do with a bug in devs modifying the mob placement than anything intended. Mob spawns used to be prevented with placed and altered blocks. Even with no caves the background provides the area for mobs to turn up in unless it too is replaced.

Fewer caves means the only areas are in the tunnels you dig. Make a sizable cavern and you can make a huge nest for farming, or scaring yourself out of your wits.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2014
    Iris Blanche likes this.
  3. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Ah ok. So i need to place a "user-defined" floor and background. Thank you :)

4. jambox5

jambox5 Big Damn Hero

lovely. really puts chucklefish's hard work into perspective for those who keep griping over how slow game development is lately. In 3 months you guys have practically implemented a complete overhaul of all systems in the base game! new combat, AI, ALL ship systems changed, added content, optimization to the MAX!, static locations, and so much more. wow I'm looking forward to the update and plan to do a comparison to the original release. because its really like 2 different games

5. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

Read the 35 or so comments before mine, half of them is some dude flooding the thread complaining, the other half is some dude telling him to stfu basically. lol i figured if i got my point accross early it might help reduce further complaints later in the thread.

Wolfie Inu likes this.
  6. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

go here, search for solution http://community.playstarbound.com/...ching-check-here-first-updated-7-31-14.81537/

7. Wulf_Oman

Wulf_Oman Existential Complex

This is exactly how I feel and I do more or less the same thing

8. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Dang yo. That was not there before? Props for retooling that feature in. Not sure how yours is setup but I use a node system that is "aware" of its neighbors; it adds a lot of flexibility, pathing, and generally makes it simple to do spatial processing tasks.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  9. SupertankerZambda

SupertankerZambda Void-Bound Voyager

Most of the stuff being worked on right now is progression related. If they actually released the stuff right now you would be able to play through tier one, then get stuck in that star system as your FTL drive is still out of commission. That wouldn't be much fun. They could separate the progression updates from the cosmetic ones, and just add things like the combat changes and new micro-dungeons, but given that what most people want is the 'meat on the game' so to speak, it wouldn't be long before that got old.

Trust me the changes they made to progression are great. You just can't get out of tier one yet :p
    And if your not on nightlies, your going to get a big face-full of awesome the moment you start a game on your broken down ship with an AI. Once it's released anyway.
    Things will take a while; much longer than anyone wants in fact, but meaningful changes take time, and they're practically overhauling the entire game based on what I've seen.

Anyway, good luck to ya. Be ye developin' the game, or awaitin' it.

10. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well THAT made my day for sure! :rofl: A big thumbs-up (since the cookies and cold beer is somehow missing) :up:

And for the news - so much work have been done behind the curtains - amazing. Please keep up the good work - but enjoy the nice summer, too :geek:

Jonesy likes this.
  11. TrueHarlequin

TrueHarlequin Void-Bound Voyager

When was the last real release? 3 months ago? Are we going to have massive backwards compatibility issues when we get a real release?

12. Sapphfyr

Sapphfyr Void-Bound Voyager

I sadly haven't been with the nightlies, as I got distracted by life in general. However, at this point I will be checking back each and every day to see what y'all are doing with Starbound.
    As Supertanker said, I think I'm definitely set for a face-full of awesome when I get ahold of what I've been missing while I was gone for the like, 2-3 months that I was.
    I mean, wow.
    Also, I feel this list of what has been changed since April was practically made for me, and I love practically every item on it, haha. ((Though, from what I saw there's a bit more content-wise that wasn't listed, unless I'm mistaken.))
    Y'all do an amazing job, and good luck with building the game up more so. :proper:

13. Ace6097

Ace6097 Poptop Tamer

So is this just telling of the next update or is it a real update being pushed to stable?

14. Zael

Zael Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So does this mean the umlauts are now supported in-game as well? (It's annoying for us to part with our ä's and ö's and the never used å's...)

15. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

AFAIK, compatibility will break so resoundingly that it will cause tsunamis in South-East Asia. That's pretty much a given at this point. Happens every now and again in the nightlies, apparently.

16. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

All unicode codepoints are supported by the engine (always have been). The problem is our font doesn't display those characters.

17. AdenSword

AdenSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I never understood people like that.

Me: "So what don't you like about starbound?"
    Them: "Day abandoned de gaem and stole mah muney"
    Me: "But they are still updating it. Just look at the news page."
    Them: "Any more 'Fanboying' you do I will just ignore. Bye"
    Me: ".........."

18. NovastarX

NovastarX Big Damn Hero

Sweet! I bet slimming down the game has been... fun. :p And all of these new features are exciting, mod-wise. Alternate dimensions and standalone worlds have a glowy chasm of possibilities! I for one am super happy for the scriptable items and objects! I bet so many crazy things will be in store for the already bulky pending update once the community gets their hands on it...:viking:

19. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

About time someone said it.

20. Zombielogic101

Zombielogic101 Phantasmal Quasar

so when will this be playable for the non-nightly build updates?