July 31st update - Programming retrospective

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Namiwakiru

Namiwakiru Black Hole Surfer

I was callin Omni a code wizard cuz coding may as well be magic spells to me.

And I have been taking a break so I can play the changes fresh and new. Was also going to call it the Omniverse but it seemed to diminish the contribution from others...and he would prob luuurve it

Oh hell no, don't drag me in to your shit storm bud.

Those who know me know I am waiting by choice......not because of misguided nonsense.
    Nothing I said relates to player numbers or promises.

Scourger likes this.
  2. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Get over yourself. The words are there. Written as plainly as mine.

3. kinzuko

kinzuko Zero Gravity Genie

lets all spam the forums whenever the update is about to come out with random memes and other nonsense like that one time (that was the most fun i had on a forum in ages)

4. Namiwakiru

Yeah and they are my words...I am eager to play again. Dump lump me in with you dude

5. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

I don't care about you. I care about the fact that the game is less than what we deserve as loyal fans after 3 months of broken updates. All we ask for is word on the stable/unstable patch. It really isn't much to ask for.

Madzai likes this.
  6. kinzuko

kinzuko Zero Gravity Genie

FIFY

7. Namiwakiru

I don't have an issue with you complaining, that's your opinion. Just don't appropriate my words which have nothing to do with what your harping on about.

Ravager, Scourger and jamstronaut like this.
  8. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

I removed the misguided quote. It did seem like you were waiting for the real thing too though.

jamstronaut likes this.
  9. MakeMeMad

MakeMeMad Void-Bound Voyager

But still no mention of when that fabled next stable update might actually be? At this point I am starting to wonder if nothing is actually going to be put out until you can slap a 1.0 label on it. I'd prefer to see some of this progress without having to switch to busted-ass nightlies, but even the unstable branch is totally ignored.
    I'm sure I'll get back to Starbound and have plenty of fun... eventually... but all of this talk of updates and changes and exciting new things when it only exists in a broken, not-ready-for-stable form is kind of a terrible tease.

Zenithcore, Ravag3r, Ravager and 2 others like this.
  10. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Exactly what I was trying to say..

jamstronaut likes this.
  11. Namiwakiru

Look...thank you, I appreciate that.

You aren't wrong, I am waiting and I would love an estimate too. It's just I am excited for these things, not frustrated.

Skarn, Zenithcore, Ravag3r and 3 others like this.
  12. AxelRantila

AxelRantila Big Damn Hero

Looks nice! Can't wait for these updates to go into stable

Ravager and jamstronaut like this.
  13. Stylµs

Stylµs Phantasmal Quasar

Sorry for being a jerk..

Skarn, Zenithcore, Ravag3r and 5 others like this.
  14. jamstronaut

jamstronaut Poptop Tamer

Man, it's really good to see how you guys handled that and came to a resolution. You don't see that much on forums, or really on the internet lol. Good stuff namiwakiru and stylus. I also really would love to see an estimate for the next stable update. Ill just have to be patient and hope for the best I guess, I still have three species of characters to make so I can hold out a little longer. Good job starbound guys, I love it.

Ravag3r, Ravager and Stylµs like this.
  15. StarKaiser

StarKaiser Big Damn Hero

its good news and we would be happy to see you guys keep working on the go for a new direction of starbound and have fun by doing it

jamstronaut likes this.
  16. Cronokurai

Cronokurai Big Damn Hero

Great job guys ^^, btw what is happening with the outpost and the farming stuff ? i'im waiting to play this aspect of the game, i want to be a farmer and make pixel with that, but for now i can't... plz make a release of that soon.

17. Magament

Magament Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Nice I hope this patch gets to the stable update soon I would love to play stabound with those aspects :D

AxelRantila and jamstronaut like this.
  18. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

Whoa ... this next stable patch isn't going to be a minor iteration by any stretch of the imagination, looks like! o_O

AxelRantila and jamstronaut like this.
  19. The Doctor

The Doctor Pangalactic Porcupine

To the staff and coders at chucklefish, can't fricking wait. I love seeing these detailed lists of all the changes and knowing that there's still tons more not even show.

To everyone enjoying the nightly's and contributing via forums and irc when we discovering game-breaking stuff that needs polishing (myself included), thank you for helping further the game.

To those patiently waiting for a stable update with guarded anticipation, keep it up guys, your day should hopefully come before years end at this pace.

To all the haters who can't seem to understand the struggles of game development or understand that patience is a virtue know this: They gave YOU the game, they gave YOU the option to opt in to the game YOU wanted, with the full up front knowledge that the content push would be buggy. YOU have not chosen to opt in, so YOU do not get the right to complain. Dev's are humans too, they need sleep, they need breaks, and sometimes, hard as my sarcasm may be to decipher and as hard as this may be for you to believe, sometimes just maybe, they just get tired of staring at code and lua business all day and decide it's a good day out to go walk the company dog (yes there is a company dog). So YOU can either opt in, stop complaining, or go become a dev yourself since you obviously have never tried to program anything beyond a calculator in your life and were unfortunately raised in a society of instant gratification. or you can chose to do nothing, and lose credibility within the community of the game until eventually you depart all together. either way, not my problem.

20. Omneh, I have a question: when will I will be able to add additional parameters with random range of values to tiles/materials/resources, which will be applied during world generation? Such as these:
    [​IMG]

These parameters by themselves shouldn't consume additional CPU power and should be called only when there is some kind of interaction with them, such as if player mines them, their "health" parameter is checked.

NovastarX and severedskullz like this.