July 29th - Quests!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jul 29, 2014.

1. DaJoe85

DaJoe85 2.7182818284590...

Wow that brings back some nostalgia, lol.

I changed my mind no red exclamations for me!

2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Red exclamation is a bit obnoxious IMO. However there needs to be different icons for main/side quests, if that's how questing is going to be.

Captain obvious reporting for duty! /ô

3. Luchóg

Luchóg Sandwich Man

Woooo quests!

I'm hoping there will also be repeatable quests generated by npcs. Not necessarily the same quest over and over again, but the possibility of getting another quest from the same npc at a different time, not only generated due to your progression. You know, in case you like a tier or don't feel ready to move onto the next and want to continue doing quests.

4. Kittani

Kittani Void-Bound Voyager

Hmm...

! = Boss Hunt Quest
    ! = Enemy Base Clear Quest
    ! = Regular NPC hunt/rescue/etc Quest
    ! = Fetch/Kill x mobs/mine x resources Quest

! = Rilldle/Lore Quest

Or just based on difficulty but you get the idea. :)

PabloM, AdenSword, Akuma2142 and 12 others like this.
  5. Orange is already used in WoW (which originally popularized the idea of ! and ? for quest indicators).

6. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Really good idea! If you are in an outpost and looking for quests, it'll be really easy with the colors, so you know what kind of quest you are looking for. Some people only like certain types of quests, so that would really work out real well if you are trying to find a boss hunt, or a hard riddle, or just looking for something normal. :poke: I wish I could triple thumbs-up this comment.

7. Zephiron

Zephiron Pangalactic Porcupine

Finally some more intel on quests !
    Hope that the quest chains will be worth the space trips, though xD. Otherwise being limited by doing 'fetch me 40 nuclear carrots/potatoes/whatever from planet Ukulele' might get tedious quite fast. That's nice to test out the quest engine, though.

Also, that first draft of the quest marker is too big imo, yet I got used to exclamation marks for questmarkers now. Easy to catch and more communicative than any custom icon, despite being unoriginal, so you can't go wrong with these x). Besides, something close to Kittani's idea with that 'monster hunter' type of coloring might do the trick to tell quests from one another.

8. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

Really cool, maybe different types of quests can have different ! Like say hunting is red while scavenging is green, but if one type is all that is needed I think the golden orange is a tad over used, perhaps a sci-fi blue? But that's just me, great work either way =)

9. Inco

Inco Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Prepare yourselves, everyone. The demand for pristine bear asses is going to skyrocket.

Jonesy, Jaguarkia, IOScream and 3 others like this.
  10. Gindew

Gindew Phantasmal Quasar

I am really excited for the procedural questing, plus being able to sell things. i am so excited for the new Update!

jamstronaut likes this.
  11. Gleren

Gleren Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't personally mind the MMOish exclamation mark as long as that's the only MMO inspired thing regarding quests. In other words, I'd prefer if the quest objectives weren't your standard MMO grind such as "Kill 10 space wolfs" or "Gather 15 alien apples".

Other than that, it's nice too hear (and see), that this aspect of the game is being worked on.

12. Scellow

Scellow Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is why this game failed, they forgot what players really want

In a sandbox game WE don't give a fuck about quests, let us decide where to go what to do

The instantiated planets, also, killed that game

It's a multilayer game, but not open world , sadly, this is not the successor of Teraria

This game is a total disappointment

13. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just spilled my coffee but this was worth it. Thanks for a good laugh!

NovastarX likes this.
  14. Albino Axolotl

Albino Axolotl Star Wrangler

Parts smuggling.

15. Archer

Archer Spaceman Spiff

Could you make it possible for quests to unlock multiple other quests?

That way you can have things like quests that branch out, offering sidequests etc while maintaining the main questline.

16. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

You're trolling right?

Sweet-mother-jesus-lover, who's WE? They sound like a sorry lot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  17. fidgetwidget

fidgetwidget Subatomic Cosmonaut

18. Silverforte

Silverforte Spaceman Spiff

Copying MMOs with the yellow exclamation mark seems tired. It could be so many other icons.

Jonesy, TooAngryZin, sρooκs and 2 others like this.
  19. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Dang. If you don't like where this game is going- or if you just don't like this game period, at least say it somewhere where Chucklefish can hear it... Or where you can't start a comment argument. (Believe me, I'm O.K with your opinion, but other people aren't.) :lod:

20. DaJoe85

DaJoe85 2.7182818284590...

Those are pretty strong words, I think that many people want npc quests, so please speak for yourself.

Also if quests are optional and procedurally generated, why would it not be a great addition for those that like adventure. If you don't like it, don't do them.