July 28th - Crafting Progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Spacebeard the Pirate

Spacebeard the Pirate Void-Bound Voyager

WOoooo! Good call guys! (yes I did throw my arms up and go "Wooooo" when I read this)

2. Morsus98

Morsus98 Industrial Terraformer

I'll be going Accelerator. I like melee, don't get me wrong, but when the game doesn't require me to craft ammo and watch it carefully I'll be playing ranged.

Ulithium_Dragon and Wolfie Inu like this.
  3. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...Sorry, I just fail to see the T10 glitch armor working for a glass cannon.
    It needs to be redesigned into a wizard outfit or something.

BloodyFingers likes this.
  4. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

But it's not wizardry, it's TECH wizardry! Weren't you listening?! :rofl:

5. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hey man... Terraria is a great game. Without Terraria, Starbound as we know it would not exist (for multiple reasons), and there is nothing wrong with trying to achieve the awesomeness that Terraria has achieved.

As a side note: At the moment, I would say that Terraria is better than Starbound - but mainly because it's complete. Starbound has more potential; it just hasn't fulfilled it yet.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  6. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

...Glitch don't have enough tech for that.
    They would think the scistave is magic.
    In reality, the secret to the scistave is [Redacted].

7. Type1Ninja

You actually have a good point here:
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    So, the Glitch would, indeed, probably view the sci-staff as magic.

8. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

If they see the psi-staff as magical, what would they think of the glitch starship? Or a glitch beaming down from it, wearing novakid getup and revolvers, saying "howdy"? Their (hive)minds shall be BLOWN!

At least those still bound by their programming. The outcasts are self-aware of their condition and, as such, have a better grasp of advanced tech.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
  9. Type1Ninja

... Yeah.
    :rip:

10. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Real happy to see no mention of set bonuses here. Mix and match!

Ulithium_Dragon likes this.
  11. kazunenazumu

kazunenazumu Void-Bound Voyager

Multiple gameplay depends on the armor, nice. I hope it'll be balanced though, so people have a reason to actually use it ! :D
    And there's no bonus stats as well, so you can make your own build.

12. TZling

TZling Void-Bound Voyager

Hopefully this will make the game a bit more challenging too.. the current impervium tier just renders you pretty much invincible and allows you to kill most monsters within one strike (including bosses). It can get pretty boring lategame simply resorting to just using an impervium hammer or a bazooka to clear everything and this variation will definitely help to encourage different playstyles even once we reach endgame!

Hatsya Souji and kazunenazumu like this.
  13. lovesthesoundof

lovesthesoundof Void-Bound Voyager

1 - I think you may be confusing the order of things. The horse was probably already planned for the Novakids and altered for the Glitch AI joke; using a horse for the Glitch makes no sense at all, but it fits right into the Wild West theme of the Novakids.

2 - Currently the only "armour" you can loot is vanity gear. Lootable weapons don't do as much base DPS as craftable ones, but they have extra effects that would I suppose make them more or less desirable depending on the situation and your playstyle. If this is going to change vastly I'd like to hear about it from the devs. In addition, one of the main things that's been stressed throughout development is that there are multiple ways to progress through the game. I'm not talking about armour; I mean farming vs building vs dungeoneering. Each path or a combination of them will allow you to get to the next stage of the game, and if you're going to be able to survive the next stage of the game you'll need better armour. Unless high-tier armour is also purchasable from vendors, making crafting obsolete would prevent anyone not taking the dungeoneering route from progressing to endgame. If what the devs want to offer is alternatives, phasing out crafting forces us to buy instead, which to me would feel a lot less satisfying on any given path because a) if you're going to make us save up to buy it instead of giving us the skills to make it you take power away from us, and b) that loot you just got from the cool dungeon you could have just bought from a vendor instead, rendering your efforts somewhat pointless.

3 - No, sorry, I'm not buying your edit. Impervium, impervious, still rings false as anything other than tank (excuse me, Separator) armour. If you have to write footnotes in the lore to excuse what your crafting material is called, you probably should've called it something else.

4 - Sounds like you're seeing Accelerator as sort of the half way point between Separator and Manipulator: medium protection, medium energy damage potential. The Mario of the armour paths. Am I mistaken there?

EDIT: Having read what others have said since you posted, it looks like the difference between pool and regen is what I was missing - but that raises another concern, namely that surely the Manipulator also requires high regen, and if the Accelerator is designed for ranged combat why wouldn't they just wear Manipulator gear instead given they don't expect to be taking much incoming fire? It would allow them to use more powerful guns much sooner in progression.

Ulithium_Dragon and Hatsya Souji like this.
  14. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

1. Only the devs can answer that. Unless they already have and I missed it. If so, citation needed.

2. Lots of conjecture here. I don't recall them saying they're phasing anything out. I thought the entire point of those 3 progression paths is that you could progress by doing whatever you want. If you want progression to be bottlenecked by crafting, then what's the point of having 3 distinct playstyles?
    (people seems to be very concerned about how others will play their game. I love crafting but I am not blinkered enough to think everyone else does too.)

3. I gave a reasoning in the edit. I still don't entirely buy that as well, so put me in your camp on that one. But personally I'm not wholly concerned about names....

4. Aren't they? It sounds like it by the description.

edit: By my understanding, if I would surmise this trinity in one word for each, it would be: Hard, Fast and Powerful respectively

15. Eyla

Eyla Aquatic Astronaut

I like this plan. It's still open enough to allow for varied playstyles, while limiting players just enough that they'll need to think about their choices.

My only question is, will each race have their own unique armor? I think the unique appearances per race are interesting, but creating a unique armor appearance per race could get expensive for the dev team -- especially if they plan to add new races beyond Novakids. One less unique item set means more free time to develop assets for other parts of the game.

16. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

different kind of armours, this mean there could be tanks, magues or thiefs? this would be nice for adding multiplayer dungeons, harder and with better rewards not?

17. Cliff474

Cliff474 Void-Bound Voyager

I am beyond excited for this! I love having the freedom to choose playstyle in games. This game is surely my all time favorite.

18. Slangwhite

Slangwhite Void-Bound Voyager

When does a right update come once more? I wait already so long with my friends for it. Earlier an update came so often.
    Greets & Support from Germany! :)

19. Wolfie Inu

Wolfie Inu Pangalactic Porcupine

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Non-English post without an English translation.
    Jemand sagte irgendwo, dass der naechste Release im August sein wuerde.

Slangwhite and Ulithium_Dragon like this.
  20. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

I'm a bit late. It's 8 pages already and everybody said most of my thoughts.

To all the people that say about using same warrior/ranged/magic template that Terraria once had: I've never played that 1.2 update. But in the wall-of-flash one they pretty much scrapped it. Different tools? HAMDRAX!!! Different armours? TOP TIER HALLOWED ARMOUR!!! I wasn't big fan of that change.

And another note about space magic. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big fan of space magic. Firefly universe is perfect sci-fy universe for me: no magic at all. But Star Wars were built around space magic and nobody complains. Mass Effect have it's own variant of space magic (and space robot zombies!) and it kinda works. LEXX... Ok... We're not going down this road. Not a space thing but I want to mention it: I've never played shadowrun tabletop games or any other pc/console adaptations because I was like:"orcs and elves in cyberpunk universe? No way! No way!!!" But then I tried Shadowrun Returns and I was surprised how everything works without paying too much attention to the fact that there are orcs and elves and magic everywhere around. Best RPG experience that I've had in a while. So as long as it not too intrusive I'm ok with any kind of space magic.

Kawa and BloodyFingers like this.