July 24 - Character Deletion is in

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 24, 2014.

1. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Good things come for those who wait. And don't ceaselessly start threads nagging about it...

Blake81 likes this.
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

Well...the confirmation isn't necessary imo. When i want to delete my char i click on delete and when not i don't click. Everyone who click on this big fat DELETE button does it on its own responsibility. And when there is a DELETE button then it is very clear that it will DELETE something x)

Deleting without confirmation box will force people to use their brain and think of it before they're doing anything ^.^

3. garpu

garpu Subatomic Cosmonaut

And my first spit-take of the day...

I suspect the cry of "I WANT A REFUND!" is this community's "extra hour in the ballpit".

4. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

To be honest, they do have the window parts ready for use. And according to the now-deleted mockup, the text'd be real big and threatening too.

5. BloodyFingers

Normally I'd agree, but responsibility is the key word here.

How old is the average Starbound player? No, ever if the average player is old enough to drive a car, there are kids playing Starbound too. It wouldn't be fair for them to lose hours of progress just because YOU have the sensibility to not click that button when you're not suposed to.

With a popup confirmation window, they'll at least have a chance to understand what they did wrong if they were dumb enough to go ahead anyway...

Funfactoid: I sometimes misclick myself into oblivion. I'm that clumsy...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. Doctor Stein

Doctor Stein Subatomic Cosmonaut

Rude mumbles about how the Devs should bring back the horse with boobs. Emoticon
    Uncalled for spiteful remarks towards the devs for removing the horse with boobs.
    Emoticon Emoticon Emoticon

YOU HAVE BEEN REPORTED FOR THIS POST

7. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Reminder about oddly-named utility. Reference to bedroom eyes.

8. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

I don't know about you. But I would be pissed if I was trying to select a character and the mouse jumps at the last instant and accidentally clicks the trash icon and I lost a lot of work. :(

Zouleena, Blake81, judge1 and 3 others like this.
  9. BloodyFingers

I don't know if @OmnipotentEntity will agree here, but us code-monkeys get home after an exaustive day of doing nothing BUT using our brains.

I am completely absent-minded when I play games, it's a way to let the brain rest a little. So misclickings in this state of mind are fairly commonplace.

Blake81 and Wolfie Inu like this.
  10. shaft6665432

shaft6665432 Big Damn Hero

Tank you

11. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

@OmnipotentEntity, is there a way to tell whether a file is nightly? Like, is there some text file in a steam directory somewhere, or in the Starbound folder? I'm revamping my launcher so that it actually works is easier to use, and now I've got my hear set on user-proof fail-safes that check whether "Starbound" is ACTUALLY in nightly or stable. I just need a way to check, and I was wondering if you could point me in the correct direction, or maybe just create an extra file in "Starbound" that I can check for.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Type1Ninja
    (The guy who pretends to have any experience code-monkey-ing)

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I'm no Omni, and I'm gonna assume you meant "a copy of the game" with "file", but here's what I found: if there's a recent starbound.log, it'll contain the word "Rampaging" in the first 256 bytes if it's Nightly.

13. Type1Ninja

Alright, thanks. I'll just have to update my program with each stable update.

14. OmnipotentEntity

If you're on Linux, you can use the file command (or even better eu-readelf -n) on the starbound executable. If the BuildID[sha] matches 7caa83317aaa51abb0b8d739319d3d53c4e6a56f then you're on stable, otherwise you're on something else.

The official executable will have that hex string at offset 0x178 in the 32-bit executable or 0x23c in the 64-bit one.

Hope this helps.

Kawa likes this.
  15. Type1Ninja

Ah. Unfortunately, I'm not on Linux, but, just out of curiosity, does that hex string stay the same between stable updates?
    Also, if there's a way to find that via a java program, that would be helpful. That's what I'm trying to do, after all. :p

16. Killerdog_19

Killerdog_19 Space Hobo

Ive been waitng for this my entire life

17. AngryBob

AngryBob Orbital Explorer

A delete button...? Wait. What? A delete button...in Starbound? Ok, Starbound is code complete :)

18. OmnipotentEntity

The hex string will change every update that changes the executable, most updates will change the executable. You can use put the shas in a small database or flatfile for reading.

The Windows executable and Mac executables aren't tagged with the build ID because the formats don't support it. However, because we ship all versions of the files via steam, you can still inspect the linux executable anyway.

With some minimal research you should be able to write an ELF header parser that can extract the BuildID from an arbitrary ELF file in Java if it exists. I'll leave this as a programming exercise for you ;O

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Yeah, about that...

20. OmnipotentEntity