July 24 - Character Deletion is in

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Jul 24, 2014.

1. OmnipotentEntity

OmnipotentEntity Code Monkey Forum Administrator

Planetwise deletion and universe deletion should be reserved for admin level commands imo. They are planned as such.

2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Here, you need to click twice regardless.
    Click on your character then click play/delete, this way you don't accidentally delete or play if you're just scrolling up or down.

Attached Files:

3. THE_____

THE_____ Phantasmal Quasar

Why does that trash can looks like it belongs in Ed, Edd and Eddy?

4. flamingbacon19

flamingbacon19 Big Damn Hero

FRIKIN THANKYOU.
    *cries tears of joy*
    FINNALY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Xyvecius

Xyvecius Phantasmal Quasar

/swipeuniverse

6. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

I'm not really sure you need to delete the automatic backups... The issue here (for pretty much everyone) isn't about the characters taking up huge amounts of storage space (they really are tiny files!), but about having a cluttered character selection list (the GUI list really is too small - 4 characters being shown at a time is FAR too few, unless you play on a 800x600 resolution monitor or something...).

Maybe add a checkbox for deleting the backups that's left unchecked by default? This would also prevent those "OMG!" moments when you realized you didn't mean to do that, and now all that hard work has gone down the drain!

Blake81, Tamorr and midga like this.
  7. Disco2

Disco2 Existential Complex

Awesome.

8. Oh thank GOD. This was the MOST annoying thing ever.

9. OmnipotentEntity

We're just planning on using a popup window. I would have thrown it in today but I spent most of the day troubleshooting an bug here you deleted the files and could verify that they actually are completely gone. Then you close the game and suddenly they're back! :O

The issue wound up being when you exited the game back to the title screen the UniverseClient held onto the last used player just because. It wasn't a problem before because it wasn't being used by anything and it was being overwritten. But because save is triggered on close it was rewriting the player files from memory even after they were already deleted.

The fix was simply to instruct UniverseClient to reset the pointer when you exit to title or are disconnected from a server. But it took a while to hunt down.

Immediately after that kyren asked for my help debugging an issue with world generation. So I didn't have time to do it. But it's actually pretty easy to do and we already have all of the assets.

Tamorr and TrueEdge like this.
  10. WorkHorse

WorkHorse Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you.

11. xalar

xalar Big Damn Hero

12. Lazer

Lazer Existential Complex

Starbound is going to be amazing.

13. Lora Grim

Lora Grim Guest

Now we need the self-destruct button everyone wants. The big red button that is disguised as something but is actually a button to launch a nuke at your coordinates. I heard it was already being made. Hmm.

14. shaft6665432

shaft6665432 Big Damn Hero

I don't see any delete character button or any change in the game since the update on april 26, all my setings for updating in steam are good. Does anybody have the same problem or is it normal?

15. OmnipotentEntity

In order to get the stuff we're writing about in the daily updates you need to be on the nightly beta branch.

Be warned, it will eat your saves and configuration settings and laugh about it afterwards (by which I mean you will do all those things, because that's what's required for it to work...). Backup before doing this. If you're unsure how, there's a tutorial somewhere around here.

16. MrStrangerPL

MrStrangerPL Pangalactic Porcupine

Yay. One good thing, that happened in past couple of days (weeks?). Now only grass regrowth, some kind of Dye Mod implementation, chunk loading improvement, and game will be playable. :)

17. Fae

Fae Scruffy Nerf-Herder

BadEndXXX. :love:

18. Alsanu

Alsanu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

When I read the title of this article, I got a little scared. Ò_ó
    Then I realized it wasn't a character reset...

19. Roison

Roison Void-Bound Voyager

The fun part is that i only have 2 characters and i will not delte them :D

20. DraLUSAD

DraLUSAD Giant Laser Beams

You could of found the time to of added a Confirmation box "Are you sure you want to delete your character?", Curiosity got the better of me when i noticed it, and accidentally deleted my main character, I know it was a deletion icon, but i didn't expect to instantly erase your character so quickly ;-;