July 17th - The challenges of making a microdungeon!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

do micro dungeons serve any purpose other than to provide cosmetic variation?

2. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Loot (if there are chests or desk items), Lore (if there are desk items), fun things to find that don't include dirt blocks or stone blocks, NPC interaction (frog vendors), and building materials that can be acquired without any villages nearby to hear the screams of the previous inhabitant(s).

Jonesy and Kawa like this.
  3. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Or perhaps it could use different amounts of fuel the more advanced the scanner is. So even if you'd spend a lot of time in each planet in order to discover everything it has to offer, there would still be an use to coal, uranium etc...

Although that could end with you stranded on a swiss-cheese of a planet without fuel...

Edit: oh I know, make this scanner a consumable item you can purchase on outposts

4. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

y no tunnel

5. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

I haven't read the thread, seeing it's a day old or so but I would LOVE to see one planet nothing but a massive maze. Instead of microdungeon, have it macrodungeon with huge loot at the bottom next to the core with tricky jumps and the like, and only one way in and out on the surface, surrounded by tough to dig rock.

6. Sadeyx

Sadeyx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, chests are about the only thing of actual intrinsic or gaming value. However, chests (and all containers) are nothing special! usually sparsely populated with junk.

Furthermore, chests are common place objects in the universe, found in great abundance anywhere. Finding them and opening them is neither challenging or rewarding, usually a mundane and frequently disappointing affair.

No doubt the chest placed in a micro dungeon is merely a token gesture, thrown in by the Dev who is very well aware that without that chest, there exists little to no reason for a player to visit his carefully crafted piece of content. Despite its undeniable awesomeness, without even the smallest possibility of gaining something of value (loot) most players quickly learn that its existence serves only as a distraction and in reality, is best avoided.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm also wondering about what purpose a micro dungeon can serve.

I know I'm not expecting anything challenging in these (Though some loot guardians would be nice.) I know that there is a need for variety in the underground, and I support that.

But do these do anything else? are they just like the houses in that they become window dressing below ground? Any chance of this occurring in space?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
  8. Duck Rogers

Duck Rogers Orbital Explorer

Please make a habitat for morlocks underground and a teleport to the surface to eat the Eloi. :poke:

9. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

I was exploring the underground biome of "Heck", and after checking 4 "Heck Altars" that were all completely empty, I thought to myself "This place isn't very fleshed-out!", after which I groaned and /facepalmed! :facepalm:
    Anyways, I don't suppose you've added to this area at all? There were also quite a few really cool looking internal organs and other flesh pieces I wish I could have collected, but just dropped measly flesh piles when broken... =.=

I don't know what you mean by "in space", but the Asteroid Field biome has ONE kind of Apex micro dungeon in it at the moment (that gets repeated every 100 meters or so...).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014
    Kawa likes this.