July 11 - Big Birds

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by metadept, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Shade Final

Shade Final Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Would be a cool pet/ mount thing, that could be brought to a planet to fly on (being very useful for those Avian ships). However in areas with no atmosphere (Moons and Asteroid Fields) they won't do anything/ wont be able to come to such areas.

2. Somfunambulist

Somfunambulist Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not a huge fan of what sounds like the cold, hard distinction between small and large creatures and their difficulty. It seems like a hamper on variety to say that no small creatures will be difficult, or shoot projectiles.

3. Gonzo18

Gonzo18 Subatomic Cosmonaut

a new update would be great...

Pingeh likes this.
  4. Aeronautical

Aeronautical Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah... So when is this stuff gonna be added to stable?

Pingeh likes this.
  5. kazunenazumu

kazunenazumu Void-Bound Voyager

I also hoping for one, but it seems it's not gonna come anytime soon.
    Still, nothing good would come from a rushed update. or maybe they want to surprise us with a lot of content at once. who knows ? xD

6. Gerbert Da Samich

Gerbert Da Samich Aquatic Astronaut

I know this is about birds, but a while ago im pretty sure there was a post about bigger water animals, or hostile water creatures!
    (also hylotl ocean towns and shops!)
    they all looked amazing if you guys could think about them again or implement them could be cool.
    :diving::monkey::fishbowl:

NuclearPicklenomaly likes this.
  7. HECUStudios

HECUStudios Void-Bound Voyager

goddangit

BIRDS ARE PAINS

8. SWiTCH

SWiTCH Starship Captain

Idea Devs... Ditch the whole randomized monster thing it obviously not working out. I get that your trying to reamp them ,but I think it just will not work.
    Instead you should go for specific monsters that are familiar to the players. The combat in this game is (im sure you heard this before) Really really really repetitive. Adding different monster "family" and making some small but plentyfull, and others big but tough sounds like it may work, but in all reality all you are going to do is repetitively use your sword, and or just shoot your gun at there general direction untill they die.

What (to me) makes terraria so good is relateable monsters and interesting game play mechanics, topped off with a huge sandbox world at your disposal. Fighting of greenish yellow things that roar like a tiger but look like a pigeon, that jump up and down trying to touch you so you, or trying to puke "blood vomit" so you will take damage iss.. just stupid and very poor combat mechanics. The monsters you fight in starbound have no relation too, pretty much anything!
    H*ll you can find aliens in lab coats with tails in the middle of the desert that run up and try to touch you? Or flying green bird like things trying to spit blood vomit at you on a moon biome?

In all the monsters you have set out are just an irritable grind that has no relatability with no combat value (for lack of better words) whatsoever. Just click and kill, with the occasional doge the projectile. Hadly any game mechanics in that at all.

Another thing are the weapons, look cool but are, agian same thing over and over, click and deal damage. Terraria adds all type of unique weapons, from adaminite spears, to magic daggers, to clockwork assualt rifels. Starbound, Gun or sword. Boring.

In short, the combat is repetitive af, the monsters make no sense at all ditch the idea of random blob monsters completly.

Put things relateable like, zombies, earthworms, idk stone golems, alian spiders, demons,mimics, doplegangers, theirs a lot to chose from. Make them do stuff like, zombies try and claw the player to get their brains because the planet has the zombie appocalyps, or alien spiders waiting in the caves and when you contact them they are cling to the walls and shoot web that slows them down and do damage and bites that poison the player. Stone golems guarding ancient temples and if you try and kill them they will grab a rock and throw it at you, and the charge and try to pick you up and body slam you.

Not just the yellow bird sees you climb mountain and shoots needles out of its butt just cause you got close to it.
    And the, orange cow blob? Squeals like a pig and trys to run up and touch you so you take damage.

In short short, ditch the idea of weapons that do the same thing for each tier level. Make more unique weapons that actualy do diffrent things and add diffrent fight mechanics.

Lazer guns that shoot steady beams of lazer that bounce of ice, plasma grenades that split in tens of smaller grenades that stun enemys. Dirt guns that take dirt from your inv and shoot dirt blocks at enemys, power claw that uses the force to grab enemy's and throw em around!

This is a scifi game, the options are infinate! Make it feel like that way!

Ty for your time and stay sexy people. :lickitung:

9. 1303iv4o

1303iv4o Void-Bound Voyager

Release an update already!!!

Pingeh likes this.
  10. idfi

idfi Space Hobo

attack and death of birds
    causes wind.jpg clp202255.jpg clp202255.jpg

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Pingeh likes this.
  11. Kuddlefish

Kuddlefish Tentacle Wrangler

I've been anticipating "big birds" for a while and I'm glad to see that CF can read my mind. Always felt the blood-vomit birds needed a big bad bloody boss bird.

12. neosuduno

neosuduno Aquatic Astronaut

I don't mind big birds, as long as they give better loot than 10 pixels.

13. Eldren

Eldren Aquatic Astronaut

Still wondering when we will be able to keybind...

14. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Did you mean "able to change keybindings from in the game"?

15. Serenity

Serenity The Waste of Time

When they take to much damage they choose to sit the rest of the game out.

16. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Taco night will do that to you...

Serenity likes this.
  17. Goldpork

Goldpork Zero Gravity Genie

Another reason for me to hate Avians.
    (Insert emoticon spam here)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2014
  18. Neleos

Neleos Title Not Found

I'm leaving this here *flies away*

19. lonelyhornet

lonelyhornet Title Not Found

Yuss, hopefully this means I can go to a new planet with the previous tier and not get absolutely obliterated in 1 hit... I'd hope.

Also

Holy smokes that would be awesome!

20. darkshadow91199

darkshadow91199 Space Spelunker

NEW WEAPONS!!!
    Nice Starbound