July 10th Update

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

What if I unconvered a citadel that's made by the Mini-World (those soft bricks biome with small houses on it) people? Will there be little men from that mini-biome intrude my head to death?

kottadragon likes this.
  2. Ssj782

Ssj782 Cosmic Narwhal

Digging deep underground on a few planets, I found a set of either dollhouses or a miniature village. Anything you do to them makes them shatter into pixels... I'd like to be able to gather them to create my own mini village on the surface.

3. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I'd like there to be prisons that still have the guards (or floran prisons where the guards aren't hostile). You could walk around, and the prisoners would all be in locked cells. You could maybe get a quest from the warden or something? "A prisoner escaped to somewhere else on the planet. Can you find them and bring them in?" Or, you could break into the control room, release the prisoners, and orchestrate a rebellion against the guards! If you let them out, they shouldn't be hostile to you, as thanks for freedom.

4. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

What would i like to find in the undergrounds?
    -Ruins of ancient civilizations.
    -Mummies tombs
    -More colorful treasures/ or decorations
    -Frozen dead animals? like mammoth's? dont know what could be the usage, maybe extract DNA and rebirth species :D.
    -Any kind of mini-bosses.
    -More vanity items like musical instruments, pets, maybe mounts would be nice in order to go flyings over the planets.

kottadragon, Blake81, DaJoe85 and 3 others like this.
  5. jcklsldr

jcklsldr Void-Bound Voyager

I want to find a full fledged DnD UnderDark campaign setting...complete with purple eyes dark elves, Driders, Beholders, and Mindflayers.

Xxen13, Zakk and Hatsya Souji like this.
  6. Jedi65

Jedi65 Void-Bound Voyager

This, I'd love to see some background something on those random little pygmy communities...

Would be cool to have some planets that form with maybe a huge boss creature in the center instead of the standard core, that maybe you could kill for unique loot, possibly destroying the planet in the process...

kottadragon likes this.
  7. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

I really want to be surprised, and I've enjoyed the things I've found so far. The little people town was the first thing I found, and it sort of fascinated me. Anything that has that sense of mystery is good. This is why expanding beyond the racial stuff would be cool. Those help add a lot of flavor, but are also more familar. So one thing might be other sorts of ruins that don't use any of the existing race tilesets. I think we see a little of this already, with the occasional dilapidated column.

This isn't a microdungeon, but it might be cool to find skeletons underground, like perhaps the bones of an old explorer with his backpack still next to him.

I would love to find an old crashed ship underground, perhaps from an existing race, or even something totally new.

How about some massive (stationary?) creatures like a giant mollusk in an underground ocean, or something like the Sarlacc from Return of the Jedi.

kottadragon and Hatsya Souji like this.
  8. Jabberwok

Jabberwok Phantasmal Quasar

I've been wanting to find something at the core, as well. A boss would be great, but I'd like to see a planet with a base or control room at the center (is the whole thing a ship, not a planet?).

MilkCalf, Jedi65 and Hatsya Souji like this.
  9. gigantic tarantula

gigantic tarantula Master Chief

This gives me an idea: you could have a "stalker" or doppelganger. Someone who is "following" you planet to planet, whose house spawns randomly on planets you visit. Inside his house are records of people you killed and places you visit. His house would be unoccupied on the first 9 times your find it, then on the tenth, he's waiting. He could be like a space detective or some insane guy with too much money and time on his hands.

Also for a boss suggestion:
    • A venus fly trap and or gigantic plant monster. It would be stationary but have ranged acid attacks and tons of birds to guard it.

• A rocketman, like the aforementioned space detective, is a complete lunatic with too much time on his hands. He would be an upper level boss.
    Biomes:
    • A boneyard, or even just a stereotypical graveyard. Also do we have swamp/ wetlands biomes? I haven't played in a while

• A transylvania biome

• pumpkin patch biome

• A cool underground area would be a mass grave, such as a catacomb. A vampire boss could be found.

• and finally to top my creepy suggestions, I think starbound should have ghosts. Ghosts underground, ghosts in abandoned buildings and especially in the abondoned work areas, such as mining facilities underground and on asteroids. I think ghosts in space are just so damn scary.

Also, last time I played there were no arachnid enemies. What's up with that. Let's see some gigantic tarantulas in this game.

Sorry if any of this has been posted, I usually only check the front page.

10. midga

midga Void-Bound Voyager

Subterranean psychedelic giant phosphorescent mushroom forest. You know, for gnome raves.

Lecic, Ponjkl and Lemuria like this.
  11. Haveacold1

Haveacold1 Void-Bound Voyager

mining colonies, tyler perry, phazon laser mines, tentacle seed pods, gate artifacts, ground dwellers such as mole people and crab people

jgb_3012 and Hatsya Souji like this.
  12. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I would say the one thing that comes to mind is ruins of some sort, basically ones that look like it was on the surface at one time but the earth covered it at some point.

ooo another would be parts of underground organization, like a black market or lions den if you will. (metaphoric) Basically places where the darkside of civilization prospered and possibly still does.

Racial Crypts and burial chambers of ancient past. Or just something that seems ancient. Maybe even a few that seem like it was converted into another facility, like a fallout thing locked from the world outside.

abandoned mineshaft maybe... Like a small bit that use to connect to the surface at one time but long since buried over time; similar to the first being ruins of some kind.

Crystal caverns that a prospector stumbled upon or even mining facility for said crystals that avians run.

All I can think of at the moment on this tired brain. time for bed....:zzz:

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  13. BebopCola

BebopCola Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Personally, I'd like it for any underground structures spawned to make a degree of sense.

By that I mean anything liveable or that seems in-use needs to have some sort of reasonable path to reach it, even if that path is obscure or subsequently blocked off by a cave-in or somesuch. Basically, if someone lives or works there, even if they're not currently present, someone discovering it needs to have a sense that the resident(s) actually burrowed their way there to build it, not that they just spawned in. I'd suggest they need at least a minimal support system(food, water, etc) represented, or a way out to get supplies. Future NPC-originated quests might even involve rescuing a trapped underground expedition on some planet as a way to encourage players to dig more.

Anything that is supposed to be old or abandoned needs to reflect that. Apex labs in pristine condition are kind of jarring to the suspension of disbelief. They should at least be powered down, if not filled with rusty and/or broken junk like the abandoned asteroid mines.

I do very much like the idea of old, buried civilizations that others have suggested. An entire mini-biome of wrecked and buried buildings would be kind of cool to find. Most buildings would be shattered and filled with debris, but others might still retain open space for a player to find danger, loot, lore, or just to move in to.

Other ideas might be:
    1. Cryo-complexes for a sleeping population of some sort. The player could wake them or leave them alone. If they wake them, the NPCs start digging and building, however, their goals a potential mystery or source of quests.
    2. Underground hard-labor penal-colony with neutral guards and prisoners. A player might have the option to set the prisoners free either accidentally or on purpose, and those prisoners might appreciate the player's actions and remain neutral, or might be hostile(there was a reason they were sentenced there).
    3. A functioning mining outfit with neutral NPC workers, and merchants who sell ore and mining/spelunking supplies. This could take the form of the penal colony above as well as a legitimate civilian mining operation.

I'd also like to see some manner of map system for underground exploration. As it is, exploring underground can be a real pain. It would be nice if a player, either by default or with some item or tech upgrade, could have a map of what they've explores so far under the surface of each planet they visit. Underground structures, NPCs, and chests might even include maps that expand the player's map, aiding in the discovery of other ore, structures, and NPCs.

For example, maybe a lab or other structure the player discovers has a working computer of some sort that sends out a pulse when activated. The pulse is a one-time mapping function and the player's map is updated with existing tunnels, environmental hazards, ore locations, and other structures as it shuts down. Alternatively, the player might try to salvage the computer system for other bonuses or quest rewards. The player might also buy maps from merchants in the mining camps or penal colonies above, or find them in the foreman's or warden's offices.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
    Xxen13, Lecic, StarKaiser and 3 others like this.
  14. Entomoligist

Entomoligist Big Damn Hero

Here's some things I'd like to see deep underground:

-An abandoned mine shaft, with spider webs, rough gravel, cave-ins (when you walk in a certain area, the ceiling actually falls in and crushes you!) and maybe some mine carts full of things like bones, coal, rare valuables, and other assorted stuff.

-Dinosaur/ancient animal bones and remains found buried beneath the ground, dropping bones when mined.

-"Layers" of ground, like the science experiments you did as a kid where there were different colored sands in a jar- sorta thing.

-Ancient civilizations buried deep, destroyed buildings and skeletons everywhere. The skeletons have clothing and stuff, from the stone age to the 1800's.

-Nature obstructions, including extinct volcanoes, huge boulders, and other types of things.

And a couple of tips...
    It's kinda weird when you put houses underground... I mean, what kind of mad scientist lives underground? Then again, it is Starbound, full of crazy and unexpected things.
    Also, you should make underground guards, forced by their will to protect treasure in chests. That way, you can just barge in and fight them, then getting something cool. Other things too, like medium-sized arenas made from cracked stone and look fallen apart, that allows you to fight waves of assorted monsters and/or NPCs. Randomly, a monster has a chance to drop a key. Once you defeat let's say 10 waves, a treasure chest with a lock appears in front of you. You can then use your key to unlock the chest and get awarded unique weapons, armor, or funny vanity! Try to add things that nobody would expect to see underground, something that really makes you not expecting it.:DD

15. HellsBells

HellsBells Void-Bound Voyager

I agree with you. We need more meaningful stuff underground (like new kind of ores, plants or materials) that really impact gameplay in some important way. Right now we just find something and: "ohhh.. this is nice... but useless (again)...". For example: let us use the lava in the bottom of the planet as a fuel to the ship or to use it as a power source to generate eletricity. Something that simple can really change the gameplay.

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  16. MikuFan23

MikuFan23 Void-Bound Voyager

Not the spiders! ;____________;
    I would love to see a boggy sort of biome in starbound as well as a boneyard. Maybe mud/quicksand blocks that you sink down into? and take suffocation damage from.... that would be neat. Another thing I would love to see is a planet made of GIANT trees, just covered in them, some trees having staircase like branches to jump up and others being hollow for you to pass through. maybe even some sort of giant birds-nest dungeon?

Tamorr and Hatsya Souji like this.
  17. Kergami

Kergami Title Not Found

Here's a quick suggestion, how about adding quests to the deep underground that can only be found... UNDERGROUND? I mean they will be hidden of course and give super rare items.. like swords and cosmetics to show off to other players. If I was to dig deep underground and find an NPC I would love to know that he has a Quest awaiting for me.

18. CelticImp

CelticImp Void-Bound Voyager

Metroid like statues with rare items/weapons/traps ?

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  19. kratos873

kratos873 Starship Captain

Dragon mounts please, you could find the in egg form in undergorunds :d

20. Slimy

Slimy Pangalactic Porcupine

That looks like the hideout of some rebel Apex to me.

I'm glad the monsters will try to run away now, it will make things seem much more natural.

Hatsya Souji likes this.