REQUEST Johnny Law

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Androxilogin, Jan 14, 2017.

?

Would you like to see law enforcement in Stardew Valley?

1. Absolutely! That's an AWESOME idea!!

95.0%
  2. Why? That's pointless and stupid. And you're stupid, go away.

5.0%
  1. Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

One thing I've been thinking about since the release early last year was a that I'd love to have a town cop NPC. With the announcement of my plans for "SunDrop Village" I'd also like to have a police station. So I'll leave my question to the polls. Please post your thoughts. Also let me know if you'd be interested in assisting. Thanks!

• Jokerine

Jokerine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm always surprised there are no cops anywhere in the game. You'd think there would at least be some in Joja looking out for potential shoplifters D:

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

This is the literal small town, everyone knows everyone, it is a wonder joja makes *any* profits as is.

• foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

The new farmer is the only person in town committing any obvious crimes (trespassing, stalking, child neglect, etc.) right now :D

The Travelling Cart is definitely shady, though. We don't call the person on the edge of town who sells random goods out of the back of a truck a "merchant" where I'm from :D

Yoseiri, Jokerine and Cemo like this.
          • IronZelly

IronZelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Kinda always figured the Adventurer's Guild served as the town's "police force", though it's kind of a stretch.
            Having at least one cop in town would be cool and make the lack of a police force less immersion breaking since at least someone's looking out for any suspicious activity and keeping people safe. Personally, I think it's a good idea. Perhaps the police station could also come with a "bounty hunter" quest like the "monster hunting" challenge at the Adventurer's Guild. Could introduce boss battles and replay value, and maybe even a trophy item you could place in your house, shed, or outdoors. :idea:

My only concern is that if a cop exists and the player is already doing questionable things (like turning their children into doves, or going through people's trash, any of the stuff foghorn just mentioned) and the cop doesn't do anything about it, then what's the point of having a cop or law enforcement at all?

The easiest fix would be to have the player pay a small fine for getting caught by a cop (when drunk or looting garbage) and maybe have the cop actually chase off the cool kids (or even Linus) from private property. There's still the issue of the surprisingly dark subject matter involving divorce, spouses developing amnesia, and mysterious disappearing children which should probably also be considered crimes, but it makes me wonder how modders could get around this huge elephant in the room without needing to introduce a thousand new game play features or creating a harsh enough consequence for the player's actions that it discourages them from playing the game further.

We could just shove the player into prison for a year (though a time skip for convenience purposes could make this possible) or have the player pay a large fine that would require they sell stuff from their farm (since I imagine committing a terrible atrocity would naturally cause all the townsfolk to refuse selling anything to you until the debt is paid off) so that the player can still play the game and have fun but still feel the weight of their actions, but I'm getting off topic now. :V

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

The guild reminds me of the Thieves Guild in Skyrim, good and evil at the same time so that's where my mind's at with them. Just later on down the line-type of guys. There could be a lot of possibilities. Especially events!