January 19th - You're Not The Boss of Me

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by SamuriFerret, Jan 20, 2015.

1. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

You can skip lots of the map with a Morph Ball tech, but you get that one pretty late.

2. Masterrulax

Masterrulax Subatomic Cosmonaut

Optimize the game that is all i ask, it is a 2D game for gods sake...

WaveFM and Pingeh like this.
  3. WaveFM

WaveFM Astral Cartographer

It shouldn't be something you get late; tech should be something you earn by exploring and challenging yourself for an advantage in certain scenarios, much like in the stable branch where you find whole techs in chests on various planets.

Khuur, conanthealien and The | Suit like this.
  4. KrisSnow

KrisSnow Subatomic Cosmonaut

Including which year!

5. WatcherCCG

WatcherCCG Giant Laser Beams

What the hell kind of falling out did Tiy and Redigit HAVE for that to even be allowed over there!?

AtomicAcorn likes this.
  6. Volpe Nico

Volpe Nico Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The Terraria people shouldn't really have room to complain given that they're lucky to even be getting updates after Red initially decided to walk away from his game.

Or did they forget about that whole thing?

AtomicAcorn likes this.
  7. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I think t should not be just that. There should be multiple ways to get them:

* Crafted in a station, if you get the materials. This would be the earlies possible method, requiring you to unlock and craft the station, then find a monster that can do something similar, kill or study with a tool it until you get 'schematics' from it (they would generated like with saplings, based on the proprties of the monster). And then use the schematics to make yourself a tech that replicates what the monster can do.
    * Randomly on generated dungeons. When you open the chest, the tech would be random, so you can't just get where the tech is from other people and simply go there. Two people could get different techs from the same dungeon on the same planet.
    * More rarely, randomly from any chest on any minibiome, minidungeon.
    * Purchased from random merchants. Random merchants have limited stocks, and change every time you visit them. If you don't have the credits at that moment, if you leave the planet and come back, they many not have the stuff again.
    * Gained in story would be the latest method, so you always get it f you could not find it or craft it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. WaveFM

WaveFM Astral Cartographer

Well that's even better.

jonathonspy likes this.
  9. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

I'm not good at Shield use. I wasn't even able to get competent at the Parry of the Starter 2-Hand Sword. :(

10. conanthealien

conanthealien Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Crafting? Perhaps for a few of them. The less powerful ones and the Mechs, perhaps. I think I'd prefer to get them Metroid style. Come across super version of enemies with tons of buffs and intelligent use of a single Tech. Defeat them for power!
    No. We share seeds just to defeat this. Being able to go to the same planet to get a certain Tech specifically is a cool thing. It's part of the community, and it should stay. Luck-based missions are a bad idea.
    Yeah, make them rare. Techs are cool, but I want to earn them, not get them like candy. But give them early and often enough to matter, rather than being super-hard to find. Luck-based missions are a bad idea.
    See above about luck, BUT: this might be a cool additional way to get Techs. If they are cheap than they're no better than lucky chests, but if they are expensive then they can be cool bonuses for carrying around lots of Pixels.
    Yesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyesyes! This NEEDS to happen!

Some more ideas:
    *Put a timer/countdown on Tech generation. If a player hasn't earned a Tech in so-and-so amount of time, force a special boss fight that will give one. Not a pansy boss-fight, either... >_>
    *Techs as rewards for certain missions.
    *Techs for sale at the Outpost for exorbitant prices.

*Both of those are terrible ideas, let's combine them! Make certain high-profile missions that require you to bring in mission-required materials or the Pixels to pay for materials. Ore, bars, plants, etc, will pay your way into an instanced plot-isolated mission or mission series(possibly with more payments in the middle) which give you powerful Techs and weapons as you go.

Khuur and presidenthobbes like this.
  11. Fleder

Fleder Pangalactic Porcupine

This is great, Chucklefish!
    I would love to see some bossfights like you had in Contra for the SNES.
    With your generator system keeping the places safe from harm, you could totally do boss chambers like in crontra.

12. jameshi16

jameshi16 Void-Bound Voyager

The first thing that came to me the moment I saw this was a tentacle monster.
    I'm weird.

13. Nirot

Nirot Void-Bound Voyager

guess what!! I don't want to delete my character, so...
    I'm waiting. and I HATE IT!!!! the game looks very fun!
    but I will wait, and wait, AND WAIT, AND WAIT!!!!!!!

14. Mutant1988

Mutant1988 Void-Bound Voyager

On the topic of bosses - Are the ones from the earlier builds ever going to return to the game at some point?

Because I quite liked the Penguin UFO boss and would love to fight it again in a quest.

15. presidenthobbes

presidenthobbes Void-Bound Voyager

They were removed?! Nooooo

16. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

As far as Unstable Build goes, Dreadwing (aka Penguin UFO) is still in the game as a boss in the second mission.

The ones removed are the Fatal Circuit, Bone Dragon and that giant Jelly thing.

17. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Though Tiy was recently dabbling with the Bone Dragon...

BloodyFingers likes this.
  18. TeddyBearYoshi

TeddyBearYoshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Who is "Fire's up nightly"? :p

Greenfinger likes this.
  19. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Bleh, those wing flaps... not really ideal with wings that don't bend. The rest of the animation looks kind of cool though. Also slightly adorable how its hands and feet move independently of its static ribcage.

Like a giant plush bone monster.

I do like the potential of more detailed boss animations though.

20. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

To fire something up is a synonym for starting something (as well as movtivating someone). Basicly the meaning is "starting nightly".