January 15 - Microdungeons!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Supernorn, Jan 15, 2015.

1. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Well, micro dungeons are nice...but I wonder what, or who would be in it. I hope it would be more than just mobs

2. IcyLucario

IcyLucario Subatomic Cosmonaut

100? As new or in total? o-0

3. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Right, right. I Forgot about the terrain loading while you're exploring the planet.

4. The-Wolfster

The-Wolfster Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well this should bring life to the planets that I once previously deemed dead and not interesting enough to explore. Great work!

5. WaveFM

WaveFM Astral Cartographer

6. midga

midga Void-Bound Voyager

So glad I switched to the nightlies. Friday night just got exciting again (lul) :D

Off topic, but does anyone know if there are plans for improvements in inventory management? I sit quite a bit back from my display (tv, recliner, so comfy), so all the tiny little icons take a non-insignificant amount of time to muddle through.

7. alexpad

alexpad Aquatic Astronaut

well, that's better than new font.

Pohany likes this.
  8. Skretu

Skretu Gotta Catch 'em All! Mk.2

Great! I can't wait to see it in game! What about mini-bosses in that microdungeons?

9. Jarod

Jarod Cosmic Narwhal

maybe i should have said "will they" because it doesn't mean that they wont add them later, or etc etc etc.[DOUBLEPOST=1421430177][/DOUBLEPOST]
    that would be cool, they could use the same type of generator as the guard captian, being a regular sub-boss would probably be too big to work smoothly

Lintton likes this.
  10. Assaf

Assaf Void-Bound Voyager

Pretty nice, but to be honest - I was kinda expecting such stuff to be procedurally generated...

midga and alexpad like this.
  11. Reprusu

Reprusu Void-Bound Voyager

Very nice, I look forward to the next stable build so I can explore some of the dungeons without lagg.

12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Deer lord I can hear the blue. Anyway, "such stuff" isn't worth the effort to procedurally generate. Plenty things are, and the selection between the hundred-something microdungeons is certainly procedural.

DarthTrethon likes this.
  13. phosphoer

phosphoer Void-Bound Voyager

Good procedural games are typically a balanced blend of generated and hand-designed content. 100% procedural games, while they can be interesting for a time, tend to end up being not that exciting to explore due to the nature of the algorithms used. I think they are doing the right thing here!

midga, Colaymorak, Kawa and 1 other person like this.
  14. Trazuin

Trazuin Void-Bound Voyager

The Micro Dungeons are nice, I just hope they aren't too common. If you come across them all the time, then they are far less special to find. Also concerned somewhat for the lore reasons behind coming across one. Continuity is a big thing for me personally, my only concern at the moment with them, but other than that, I find them quite nice. Would much rather see more work but into the cave generation first personally, I think that's the biggest problem with underground at the moment personally. But still, nice to see them finally putting a bit more effort into the underground.

15. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

There will be a lot of finding going on underground.....these were created specifically because mining is dull as you can mine for hours and not find much. So yeah, these minidungons should be quite common but there will be other things to find underground too like minibosses and such. All this is made specifically so when you are mining you never go too long without finding a fun activity to lighten the insane grind that mining for the higher tiered ores can be, especially as they are insanely rare.

16. Trazuin

Yeah, I know it's all to make the mining less dull, I just need to see what else they add. I don't think Micro dungeons alone will help a whole lot. As if they are really common, then it just becomes normal and not that exciting to find after awhile. Then they become dull as well. Well, at least to me that's how It'll be.

17. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Reminder: The Steam Overlay is still broke & needs fixed in Unstable. :badger:

18. DarthTrethon

Not necessarily, if the dungeons are varied enough(right now they have some 100 of them) and each one has different enemies and treasure they may remain exciting. They also mentioned mini-bosses as I already pointed out but they also mentioned some special undisclosed finds they are intending to really surprise us so I think they're putting decent effort into making underground exploration into a fun experience.[DOUBLEPOST=1421436796][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Reminder: the next stable release is landing in the next 14 days, it'll probably be fixed before then. But now they have bigger priorities like doing a performance pass and implementing content.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. Trazuin

Yes, and I'm glad they are putting so much effort into that. It's been one of the biggest problems with the game for me, so for now I'm just continuing to wait to see what else they add.

DarthTrethon likes this.
  20. DarthTrethon

Well from here on out stable updates are supposed to be far more common: the aim is to bring one major feature and one new biome(thoroughly done with its own special content as all the others). One feature that I am insanely hyped for is support for player built space stations.....that's bound to be something else altogether.