1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Jan goal missed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Ellary, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Updated and corrected:

-Beatrice: internet hugs for friday jan 30
    -Garath Deloi: 20 imaginary cookies on jan 30
    -RavenX: 10 crows on Jan 31
    -Starbug: 10000 pesetas and his delorean on sometime 2013.
    -tornar: his thinking cap on this thursday jan 29
    -heartstrings: all of your lifes on jan 31 or somewhere in between.
    - _Q_ All of James Bond's gadgets on not in the past.

I should also mention that bets are compulsory. You post, you're in...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
    Jonesy likes this.
  2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

You still got mine wrong :giggle:

3. BloodyFingers

The betting algorithm is finicky with repeated dates. Hold on...
    The algorithm being run in my brain that is...

Ooooh boy, I'm not going to get away with these shenanigans without a warning, am I...

4. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

As far as we know......but there is still too much that science is clueless about like the fact that there is matter that can behave both as waves and as particles and the fact that the electrons spinning around the atoms(and this is all we ever see, just electrons) seem to disappear from existence and reappear a lot of times per second.....as far as we can tell everything is made up strictly of energy and everything(like the atoms that all is made of) amounts to 99.9999% empty space. For all we know this reality as we know it is strictly some sort of 3D holographic projection. Nothing can be confidently stated about time or time travel. Still.....the rules of hard science bear no relevance(nor should it ever) on a video game like Starbound.

RavenX and Tamorr like this.
  5. Starbug

Starbug Guest

I agree with _Q_ .. If time travel into the past WAS possible, where are all the time tourists? Or do we live in such a boring period of world history that no time tourists are bothering to visit this early 21st century period?

It may be possible to travel into the future, but likely not into the past.

Beatrice likes this.
  6. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Exactly the words used by Stephen Hawking.

Tamorr likes this.
  7. Zouleena

Zouleena Pangalactic Porcupine

I think that the big beautiful baby will be born on January 30, at about... well... let's say about 3:25 pm PST. It will be a complicated birth, lots of labour pains, though they're all pains of love, and as long as they have the machine that goes "PING", all should be okay.

"So it's lots of happy pills for you, and you can find out all about the birth when you get home. It's available on Betamax, VHS, and Super 8."

:poke::party::poke:

8. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Twist :

I am Stephen Hawking

9. Jellypuff

Jellypuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

Some people live in the past, some visionaries live in the future.

I like to stay in the present, here and now, where - nah just kidding, i mean who likes to live during a monday.
    Only sunday is worse and that was yesterday or, for the visionaries out there, will be in 6 days.

10. RavenX

RavenX Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well...(and some of this is just hypothesis mind you), we know so far that time is what we're calling the "4th Dimension". We live in 3D space, with time as our 4th dimension. Quantum mechanics has shown us so far with even the limited understanding we have of it as of now that more than a few of the "Constants" we perceive in the universe and reality its-self may not be as constant as we think. IF we ever do manage to develop time travel in the future you may only be able to see or perceive it with your consciousness, or in the act of time travelling you may be what's best described as "out of phase" on a quantum level with the time period you're observing. In effect you'd be able to travel to any point in history past or future, but you'd only be able to observe it and not actually affect it in any way. Like watching it play out on Star Trek's Holodeck when the characters don't know you're there and just walk through you like you were a ghost. It's theoretically *possible* time travelers could be all around us and time travel tourism is at an all time high, but we don't know it because they're offset on a quantum level and can't affect us nor us them.

At least, that's what the latest research has shown to be likely. The most recent research has also shown that there are at least 5 dimensions in our current universe or reality, but there could be up to as many as a dozen (far more if you subscribe to string theory). At that point though it starts getting fuzzy as to what classifies as another "dimension" and what classifies as a actual other "Universe" or reality. Some scientists think that dimensions, universes, and alternate realities, may move in a wave pattern, much like light is a waveform. The collisions where these waveforms come together rippling off one another could account for the "Big Bang".

A lot of that though is still theoretical, and opinions vary greatly depending on which scientific group you're asking, so take that with a small grain of salt. I do keep up with current research breakthroughs and news in many fields however so if anything changes I'll let you know.

11. BloodyFingers

Updated:

-Beatrice: internet hugs for friday jan 30
    -Garath Deloi: 20 imaginary cookies on jan 30
    -RavenX: 10 crows on Jan 31
    -Starbug: 10000 pesetas and his delorean on sometime 2013.
    -tornar: his thinking cap on this thursday jan 29
    -heartstrings: putting down 20 bets on someone scoring a date this month (travelling costs not included).
    - _Q_ All of James Bond's gadgets on not in the past.
    - Zouleena: that picture of her eyes she promised me on jan 30
    - Jellypuff: a puff made of jelly and all of his wages for the week on a monday (which makes his bet a 7x since it's either today or next month).
    - Yclatious: a copy of an underrated gem on Jan 29.
    - Own_Stalker: putting down 16 pieces of temporary happiness followed by headaches, vomit, convulsion and possibly death on Jan 28.
    - cooltv27: putting down several non-compliments and a 27-inch L.E.D Flatscreen Full HD tv that's also hella cool on every available day. Which is the rest of the entire year. Also, your funeral. You will win the one right day, but will have to pay for each day you got wrong. I'll be generous and only charge you one TV, the non-compliments will have to be paid in full, however.

Come to think of it, this isn't entirely problematic. Well, at least it's still somewhat tethering on the topic... so it's barely legal gambling.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  12. yclatious

yclatious Guest

I bet a copy of Sly 2 on the 29th!

13. BloodyFingers

-edit-
    nevermind false alarm. Gamble away!

14. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

I vote January 28, putting down 16 cyanide-coated donuts filled with melted twinkies grown from a twinkie tree.

15. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

As I said.....likely not based on what? There is no hard evidence proving impossibility and future travel is theoretical too. Why do you always have to deny everything that you don't like? Prove or let it be. I actually provided a solid argument in regards to what we cannot prove and that is time travel backwards. As for anyone coming from the future.....how would you know if anyone had.....from news headlines? The governments.....they would sure make it public knowledge in a hurry. We haven't nuked ourselves into oblivion yet....that at least opens room for some speculation. ;)

16. Jellypuff

Jellypuff Subatomic Cosmonaut

One fun fact and one mind blow:

Fun fact: Technically, traveling into *echo sounds on* The Future *echo sounds off* is the easiest thing ever - we all do it all the time, one second per second. So, time traveling into the future is not just "possible", we're doing it right now.
    You can speed-up time-traveling, which you already do, by well, speeding up. (=being extremely fast, like traveling with near light speed)

Mind blow: Assuming, time traveling into the past would be possible, what if humanity just never found a way, to time travel into the past, before they extinct? That would explain, why we never heard of actual time travellers, except the mental ill ones, like that doctor, who are more likely to travel into certain "medical institutes".

I know, i know..."Oh snap!" is what you're all thinking, but i can't help it, sometimes, i'm just oozing smartbuttness.

17. BloodyFingers

[DOUBLEPOST=1422306193][/DOUBLEPOST]Umm, a bit off topic, but hey @Zouleena , This came up when I tried to like your post here...:
    weirdnessAbound.png
    What the flip? :lod: Is there something I should be worried about in that post?

Owl_Stalker and Starbug like this.
  18. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Prove what? That time travel is or isn't possible?... I'm coming up short there, I'm sad to say.

19. Akado

Akado Oxygen Tank

Lesson Learned: You should have traveled into the past and taken back whatever statement you made that caused this tangent.

Anyway, are we guessing dates in AmericaTime? Or in British Time? Since they're off by 5-8 hours, that could hit on a day boundary.

20. BloodyFingers

Since Chucklefish is london-based, I figure it's their timezone that matters...
    Or just guess in your own timezone. And then we'll make the necessary calculations.

Maaaan, that is turning out to be one heck of a swag. I wish I could participate, but, house rules. Can't place a bet, can't have any of my imaginary friends place one either...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.