I've never encountered these characters before.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lark the Brave, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Lark the Brave

Lark the Brave Subatomic Cosmonaut

Have you?

Dana:
    [​IMG]

Dobson:
    [​IMG]

Goblin Peasant:
    [​IMG]

Shadow Girl:
    [​IMG]

Shadow King:

[​IMG]

WHERE?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
      lilly_ampleton and Gabaw like this.
    • Snurtsnurgle

Snurtsnurgle Star Wrangler

Oh saw these when I was poking around files. I'm pretty sure they are cut content from the game. A lot of them have that short sprite look before CA updated to the longer sprite now used.

If you look at some of the dialogue yamls there are some left over unused dialogues mentioning some of these characters. This one is from a yaml called sewer guy which I think is an earlier version of Krobus.

There is also this guy too called the dwarf king.
      DwarfKing.png

Dana and Dobson are a complete mystery to me. I would love to know more of why they were cut, and who they were. Dobson looks like he wasn't exactly an early cut either judging by his art style.

• mrobake

mrobake Zero Gravity Genie

Maybe, just maybe, Dobson is your collague when you worked at Joja company. Dana looked a lot like Penny: ginger, green eyes, yellow shirts. Sister? Or maybe Pam when she was young?

• Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

with you there on both counts. a rose was already halfway to my teeth when I saw Dana :rofl:

• Snurtsnurgle

Snurtsnurgle Star Wrangler

Maybe. I am having trouble reading what is happening from his expression. Maybe you are having an old fashion gossip session or something.

Hmmmmm she could be an earlier version of Penny. Kinda like how Josh is an earlier version of Alex. I couldn't find her in a trailer to compare. Either it was too old or too recent for this sprite to exist. So I went to find some old screen shots for Penny. I think it looks very close. (Gosh old Penny is cute)
            [​IMG]

Dana.png

Gabaw and Lark the Brave like this.
            • Lark the Brave

Lark the Brave Subatomic Cosmonaut

So going by what is being said, at one point boss type creatures were in the game. I wonder why they were removed.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

They may not have been removed, so much as yet-to-be-activated. Just a possibility.

My thought is that at some point, Concerned Ape called the game finished. But he may have put in place bits and pieces that he'd originally intended for a game of still larger scope. I'm not suggesting 1.1 was in his mind all along, but he could have left those images there just in case the game sold well, and he had good reason to expand it, later. There may even be pieces of coding that are completely unrelated to images yet remain inactive, which might be "turned on" for 1.1. Anyway, it's an idea.

Sh4dowWalker96 and Gabaw like this.
                • NikkSword

NikkSword Pangalactic Porcupine

I would guess this is content that did not make it into the game. Concerned Ape may have had to work with what he had, and these characters may come out in 1.1 or a future release, but didn't make it into the original game

• cankersaur

cankersaur Pangalactic Porcupine

I think Leah's ex is in there somewhere, too -- male and female versions. I saw a guy at her art show who I assumed was her ex, before I remembered that her ex is female in my game.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

Kel uses the same sprite set regardless if gender. So it was probably them at the art show; they say they went to Pelican Town in order to go to the art show and "get" Leah to move back in with them.

• cankersaur

There's both a male and female sprite in the "characters" folder. I didn't know they actually were there, I just assumed. I haven't seen it mentioned in the game that they went, is it it a different event where it's revealed?

• Red_Rose

Red_Rose Phantasmal Quasar

But yeah Dobson dose feel like a friend type or a brother? but yes his outfit says Joja all the way.

and Dana could be Penny long lost sister that lives in the city that could work or Dana could be some relative to Penny somehow.

Yeah I do hope we see them in the update somehow.

• Egypalack

Egypalack Title Not Found

When you finish the Joja co ending and get the Soda Machine, there is a bunch of joja workers standing there, it may be one of them.

• cankersaur

Hey guys -- is this the vanilla version of Linus' spritesheet? It's in my game and I never noticed it before. Is that... young linus? Toward the bottom:
                              [​IMG]

A bunch of people's heads are also missing. xD

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                              • RozanePasteru

RozanePasteru Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hmm this is a mystery why wont anyone try to figure out

• Erick648

Erick648 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm...it looks like Linus once worked in the corporate world but was fired and couldn't get another job, so he learned to live off the land.

• Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

They look like WIPs of character designs, honestly. The suit wearing guy looks like he could either be a character who was supposed to be the Joja Mart manager, but was replaced by Morris, or maybe Shane as a sport's commentator when thatw as still part of his character. The colored splotch on the red tie almost looks like a microphone, the tiny clip on kind.

• RozanePasteru

RozanePasteru Subatomic Cosmonaut

Where did you guys found these potraits/sprite sheet anyway?

• tgywal

tgywal Space Hobo

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

yeah, linus did say something happened when he was young and he ran away from his old life. i would assume that is the young ver of him(especially given it is on his sheet and the young person is wearing the leaf shift). the hints that he is a druid and hasn't seen his family in many many decades are left about though so it would make sense that he went 'wild' right after without any transitional changes to his avatar's look