Issues surrounding hotfix 2 for Enraged Koala

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by OmnipotentEntity, Feb 19, 2014.

1. KlousGT

KlousGT Void-Bound Voyager

I have a universe and player backup from 8:39pm last night, neither of the hot patches were applied at that time, I still lose my ship storage on login. It isn't fixed.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. DrDee

DrDee Seal Broken

So ... i'm really ANGRY right now. Edit: I'm really ENRAGED (some fun hast to be - at least)...
    First of all:
    What the heck is the info-page in the launcher for, if there are FAR TO OLD informations on it?
    You're making damn money with a beta! And if so, it should not have THAT faults!
    I'm really upset and don't want to continue playing anymore.
    Just right yesterday we got our own SB-Server. And totay the work of WEEKS is gone?!? My whole inventory in my chests AS WELL AS my SHIPLOCKER is gone!

First of all: You should implement that, at ANY START the game does a SELF-BACKUP! it was nice if you could have somethin like 2 Versions?!?
    SECOND: USE YOUR DAMN INFO PAGE ON THE LAUNCHER! If there were the Info to back up because of any ERROR, my Time hasn't been wasted the last 3 Weeks.
    THIRD: Get your Fixed tested better until release! Don't use PAYING People to do your PRE-BETA Tests!

I must say - I've been on MANY alpha- and BETA-Tests. This is the first one, which I had to pay for... on others i got paid! And NONE was that worse like that here... except one ALPHA.
    And this here seems, sometimes, like it was not BETA than ALPHA.
    There are so much elementary Errors that i think it's near to scam to SELL such .... "STUFF".

I lost my fun with this game... so I don't know if I'll play it again until "Final"... lets be excited how "final" this will be...

Greets....

3. ScienceLion

ScienceLion Astral Cartographer

Aaaand this is why games need Exit Without Saving. So what if this enables multiplayer people to dupe items by putting them onto a server, it is beta, and bugs need to be fixed, and rollbacks need to be an easy option.

Sha Seng and Mendacium like this.
  4. DrDee

DrDee Seal Broken

You are so right, buddy!

Edit:

Aditionally, i wanted to say: You CAN'T await the people to read the starbound-website first before starting the game after any update.
    AS WELL AS the Update-News in Steam are very... let's say ... little.
    Get your job done unless you have a job... if it goes on like this, there will be (sadly) more bad things to hear 'bout Starbound than good things... and thanks to our viral WWW 2.0 this gonna happen DAMN fast! (Sadly this didn't happen with your Informations)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Faeryheart likes this.
  5. Owlking

Owlking Aquatic Astronaut

hey you have to calm down, is an early beta, if you don want this you hava to wait the official relase, no one force you to buy the game now and the chucklefish guy were very clear about beta and all.

i work in a software developement too (not game) and in a beta is totally normal to have some problem, the guys here worked hard!

Zichqec likes this.
  6. Celd' The Magi

Celd' The Magi Pangalactic Porcupine

Well it is a Beta. But still, how the heck can we expect to trust the updates. Just back everything up always I guess.

Lost many hours of work worth of collected items, ore etc That I had just moved to my ship in planning for a potential planet wipe.

7. Frigglish

Frigglish Space Penguin Leader

This is not a PAID beta level error. Yes it's a beta. Yes wipes will happen. This was a pretty serious oversight, possibly just 'one of those things' but quite a big one of those things.

But it's also a beta that everyone paid for access to, rather than the traditional "free copy or even paid beta testing". Not making massive errors and then hiding them is sort of implicit.

Sha Seng and Mendacium like this.
  8. Lightcrow

Lightcrow Space Spelunker

Hm , sorry but when i try to launch the game , it crash , how can I play ? ^^'

9. DreamzorRedux

DreamzorRedux Space Spelunker

If you can't handle full wipes, unexpected rollbacks, crash or game breaking bugs, don't play beta. Wait for the final release.

/thread

Zichqec, whipping post and Thorin like this.
  10. Frigglish

The horn has been blown! Chuckleknights assemble.

Sha Seng, DreamzorRedux and Thorin like this.
  11. DreamzorRedux

DreamzorRedux Space Spelunker

Haha good one, made me laugh in RL, I like it!

12. KuRushie

KuRushie Void-Bound Voyager

Hi.
    After the recent update i can't play starbound at all now,
    either this Error comes up when i am loading the server,
    or when i am trying to go to a different star or system the game kicks me off.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Twisted Trip

Twisted Trip Aquatic Astronaut

You're far from calm, "lols oh well it's beta" does cover it, because it is beta. It's not a demo, it's a game in creation and if you decide to play/test software before it's officially released you also unknowingly in your case sign yourself up for disappointment when it's edited in any form. Had this been an issue once the game was officially launched, I would say have at it, but it seems you have taken this to heart and made it a very sore point for youself.

Really, you only have yourself to blame. I'm not being self righteous, I'm just telling you how it is. It's beta, early access.

Zichqec and SweFox like this.
  14. ogboot

ogboot Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Make your home on the ship, they said. It's the safest place, they said.
    I'm just not gonna load until it looks resolved, if no work around is available no biggie.

15. EpicElly

EpicElly Void-Bound Voyager

Fwhew! I'm so lucky that I had a feeling something would happen, and backed up my files just before v. Enraged Koala came out! :p

16. Chronopolice

Chronopolice Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good thing I have a backup of SB Furious Koala on a separate portable HDD.

If I understood the stream of posts correctly, even if we send down our stuff to down to our planets, we'll still gonna get hit with that bug. If that's the case then, I would desist from updating SB to Enraged Koala until the storm passes by.

You're working with at least two programming languages, stuff like that's gonna happen sooner or later. Better sooner rather than that getting into the finished product later.
    Programming logic errors are the hardest thing to catch. I would even daresay that what happened today is... normal. :D

Good luck squashing those bugs! :up:

Zichqec, Thorin and Twisted Trip like this.
  17. trager

trager Intergalactic Tourist

Mac version totally hosed with the new patches - I get a re-open/ don't re-open message but selecting either causes an immediate crash.
    OSX10.8.5

18. Celd' The Magi

Celd' The Magi Pangalactic Porcupine

I didn't get the warning. Its to late for me. Just leave me behind.

ogboot likes this.
  19. Underbalanced

Underbalanced Phantasmal Quasar

I totally think they need to hire 1-3 more programmers. They have the money. It will increase their bottom line for profit in the long run.

Frigglish likes this.
  20. Frigglish

Just keep telling me about how I'm feeling, that in no way makes the whole thing dismissible on its face.

Sha Seng and Underbalanced like this.