1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is that mod actually allowed?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Solzucht, Aug 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

Hello dear Community,

I did read the rules, i hope i do not overstep them with posting this.
    If i do so, feel free to remove it.

To clearify what i do mean here a link to the Steam Workshop of SB, as i didnt see that mod (luckily) here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=741095046
    "Iron Sky - Aryan Race Mod"

What this mod does:
    It let you play as an aryan (nazi).
    It adds a bunch of rassistic symbolism.

So i get parody, i actually liked the movie "Iron Sky".
    But to play an Nazi in Starbound, how does this add any fun, how does it add anything good in general?
    It is only offensive and not the spirit of the game and the community.
    "Might include very bad symbols that will make most liberals,tumblrites and leftists cry"
    So anyone bothered by the mod is by these words needlessy offended too.

I do not enjoy to turn personal, i just did want to make sure that the mod is not a parody, so i did check the uploader's profile. He actually is part of several groups which support hatred of several groups, which i can proove, if needed, with screenshots i made.
    So i am taking this serious.

Solution?
    The mod could be simply removed until the assets are reshaped, so they do not contain any rassistic symbolics.

techno_spider and MissKiki like this.
  2. Leonardox

Leonardox Orbital Explorer

Thought policing is something that you need to stop doing.
    This isn't 1984, and you don't work for Big Brother.tm
    People are allowed to like things that you don't like.

3. MissKiki

MissKiki Space Penguin Leader

This is so gross, I reported the mod and hopefully something gets done.

Yeah I get it. We all have free speech an blah blah, it isn't right to spread hate. Hate is what has killed millions of people. History is bound to repeat itself, so no thanks. I'd rather not have something hateful and racist within our community.

4. Shinki

Shinki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't see anything wrong with it, really. You can be someone who isn't racist and enjoy playing as Nazis, like in World War 2 games.

Another thing, too. Whether the game has a mod letting you play as Nazis or not, the racists you're afraid of will play the game anyway.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
    techno_spider and Pingeh like this.
  5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Whats so bad about it? Yeah, its Nazi themed, bus so what? We play games with terrible simbolisms all the time and (most) people don't complain. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it should be taken down.

I don't agree with it, I have no intention of using it, but who am I to want it removed? Its a game. Get over it. Using a Nazi themed mod doesn't mean you support the Nazis, just as enjoying guns doesnt mean you support killing people.

Edit: Well it looks like it was actually removed. Way to go. You succeeded in... nothing. You crushed someone's right to free speech and have now set a precedence for mod removal based on personal disgust.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  6. Dummo2

Dummo2 Void-Bound Voyager

How does it fucking affect you? Holy shit, close your fucking eyes

7. ImperatorAdeptus

ImperatorAdeptus Master Chief

Mod author here,
    and I think I speak for myself and everybody on the mod dev team that you need to stop taking things so seriously.
    If you don't like it then simply ignore or just remove the Swastikas yourself. The mod is open source.

Also I see that you're German as well. And I'm happy to tell you this isn't 1940 anymore. You don't need to report wrongthinkers to the authorities.

>We all have free speech and blah blah

Ok so you hate free speech got it.

Soron, alextulinov, Thornuct and 5 others like this.
  8. MissKiki

If that's all you took out of my text, sure :) simple mind eh?

9. Shinki

Thankfully we can still get the mod from other places, other than the Starbound page or the workshop, since it seems it was just removed.

10. lazarus78

Where in this mod is it advocating ACTUALLY going out and starting up the Third Reich again? How is this mod hurting you? How is it hurting anyone?

Personal disgust is not a valid reason to deny access to something.

11. SolWolf

SolWolf Void-Bound Voyager

With the exception of the nazi symbolism, it actually looks pretty cool.

12. Avian Village Guard

Avian Village Guard Void-Bound Voyager

Games are games. I ethnically cleansed the entire middle east in CK2. Doesn't mean I hate people from the middle east. I just like doing dumb shiz. This person may be different, but if so, who cares?

13. Solzucht

Solzucht Void-Bound Voyager

So i am not allowed to show my opinion?
    And just because something is open source, does it mean you have to use it as it is?
    And what has my nationality to do with it, other than being offensive against me?
    Tough when you clearify that your german and you post a mod with these symbolism, you should know that you act against german law.
    Yes-even its just for a game.

Nothing of your answer did help at all.

14. MissKiki

Clearly you don't get it. If it violated the steam guidelines then it got removed. Not because of 'personal disgust'.

15. Shinki

Your opinion is that you don't like the mod, and you don't think it's in good taste. However, neither of those are any good reasons to get the mod removed completely.

Avian Village Guard and Pingeh like this.
  16. lazarus78

It was because of personal disgust that you reported it in the first place.

17. ImperatorAdeptus

ImperatorAdeptus Master Chief

[​IMG]

Ah good to see devs can now just take down whatever mod they dislike.

Doesn't matter though we'll just upload the mod somewhere else.

techno_spider, Corraidhín and Pingeh like this.
  18. Shinki

It was actually removed because Chucklefish demanded it be removed. It did not violate Steam guidelines.

19. MissKiki

I can report anything I want, I can even report fraction' universes if I find it displeasing. But it doesn't mean it will get removed. It got removed because it violates the guidelines. and just because you can't see its the spread of hate doesn't make it any less real.
    Take a chill pill.

20. SolWolf

SolWolf Void-Bound Voyager

Aw man. I thought Iron Sky was a pretty silly movie.

But I guess we can't make parodies of parodies anymore. Can't have the Fourth Reich popping up on some moon in Starbound. No sir.

techno_spider and Pingeh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.