1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

is it just me or did novakids get the short end of the stick?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sharkbutt, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Sharkbutt

Sharkbutt Subatomic Cosmonaut

none of the races have a huge amount of customization options, but lord almighty, my desire to be a novakid with the 11 skin colors, 20 hairstyles that are real similar to the other, and 20 brands vanished very quickly. weren't novakids supposed to be like a reward? this is just my opinion, but they leave a lot to be desired. (●´ω`●)ゞ

2. [curly] servo

[curly] servo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

they were only recently instated, they're likely to get more options in a future update. if you pay attention, a lot of their armor descriptions are placeholders.

3. Sharkbutt

idk, i feel like there was more than enough time to give them more diverse hair styles and more brands. there's like 12 quiff-like hairstyles. (・Θ・ )how u gonna release a highly anticipated race with boring customization options?

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because they still have the whole rest of the game to work on. Plus they arnt done with the races. Hold on to your buns.

5. Sharkbutt

implying it takes more than a few minutes to add a diverse hairstyle.

6. Skippertomtom

Skippertomtom Phantasmal Quasar

Well, assuming it'd be pixel by pixel, unless it was at least 50% rushed, it'd probably take a few hours. :badpokerface:

7. Garfield67

Garfield67 Sandwich Man

Isn't that stuff art assets though? People keep saying the reason we keep getting more furniture stuff is because the artists are pretty much sitting on their hands with nothing to do unless a programmer asks for new assets for something.

MysticMalevolence likes this.
  8. Sharkbutt

sorry? i highly doubt it would take them hours to do a couple of diverse hairstyles lmao.

9. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Hmm, well. Tbh i haven't worked in game development myself so i can't say for certain how they do things (especially a smaller studio like chucklefish).

But considering how companies work in general a couple of hours might be way too fast, days might be more accurate (they likely start out with concept art, then they likely need to get it approved, then they likely make the pixel hairstyle itself, then they likely need to get the end result approved, then it can be added to the game in a future update).

Off course thats just a lose assumption on how the process could look like and il admit that it might be "exaggerated for effect", on the other hand it might be missing several stages too (being even more complicated irl).

Companies can often have complicated rules, these rules may make the end result better (at least i think thats the idea, a kind of quality control) but they can also make simple things realy complicated. It's not the same when a modder just slaps something togheter and then trows it into the game.

But as i mentioned in the begining im realy unsure how rule bound a company like chucklefish would be, so i can't say anything for certain. Just trying to point out that it might be a lot more complicated then "throwing a few hairstyles togheter".

10. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

Personally, I think they may have released the Novakids to soon. Have a look at the Hylotl: this race came with the start of the game, but they still don't have any lore or dungeons! It took even a year to install Ocean planets, the home of Hylolt cities. And even now, nearly two years after relase, the Hylotl are still unfinished and didn't change a lot.

But the Novakids... oh my. Have you ever tried to get a house inhabited by them? It will show you rapidly that many things are still mere placeholders. There are only SIX objects in the whole game to "call" a Novakid NPC. And even this NPC will always be the same, with the same clothes and only slightly different from the others. And in contrast to the Hylotl, which may not have any dungeons, but at least objects (you can buy them from merchants, or cheat them in via admin-command), the Novakids have... nothing! Except for the Saloon furniture from FRÖGG.

So, even creating your own Novakid town becomes tedious... :(

[​IMG]

11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Its called "low priority".

12. Sharkbutt

i get what you're saying, like, i really do. but a few days? a few hours? that feels like a stretch. i can draw a concept design for hair and have it pixeled the way starbound pixels (fat pixels, minimal to no shading) within the hour, and i'm not very good at pixeling. i could understand if the pixeling was maplestory-tier.

personally, i don't think creating a unique character so you can enjoy starbound should be low priority, but i get what you're saying. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i feel this way, too. i know starbound is a beta, but c'mon. take care of the things you have first before adding in new things.

Beatrice likes this.
  13. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

That would be true, if they were only building Novakids and not the rest of the game in conjunction.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    Jonesy and Maxwell Demonic like this.
  14. Ripcord24

Ripcord24 Subatomic Cosmonaut

There's a reason the game is still in early-access.

15. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

They'll get new customisation options eventually :) it may be a small job, but whilst you consider this small job important enough to take priority others have the same feelings for other small features. We will get to them all in time :)

16. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Anyone else envisioning a bulk character options update?

...which makes me wonder if we could get the option to change features on our characters without having to roll a new one. I mean, I'm unlikely to want to change any feature of my Floran character, but if I see something pretty awesome in an updated Novakid option set and would like to apply it to the one I already made so I don't have to go through all the early game rigamarole again?

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I heartily agree with this. I had to run through the game again as lintton to get a better hairdo. So a space barber/salon would be nice.

18. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YES actually, it DOES!
    -there is making the sprite-
    -coloring the sprite for all the different hair options-
    -adding it to the set of hair options-
    -increasing the parameters for how many hair sets there are in character creator-
    -making the code that relates to the player selecting it-

Why do you think there are mods SPECIFICALLY for expanding the character creator to be able to select modded in races?
    BECAUSE ITS FAR MORE COMPLEX THAN JUST "add it in"!

19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Well , while they are trimming the extra pixels in the human undy selections, the artists can work on a few more selections. A good time for it, as an outsider to their project meetings would say. :)

20. Sharkbutt

aaaa... thank you. i wasn't expecting any sort of official reply.;;; im just a grumpy asshole.