1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[IRC] some more details regarding crafting/printing/dyes/homeworlds etc

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by plaYer2k, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Dr Fushba

Dr Fushba Cosmic Narwhal

Even with the guns using energy, you can probably carry 'battery packs' (equivalent of potions) to restore energy, which is the equivalent of taking extra ammunition in your inventory, so you're less likely to run out.

Alpha_Squad likes this.
  2. Medricel

Medricel Space Spelunker

Ammo is energy? Good, I don't like dedicating half of my inventory to ammo just to have some longevity somewhere.
    3D printer? Love the idea. Considering that all matter can be broken down into very simple, universal components (protons/neutrons, perhaps even the quarks that make those up), it makes sense that a device could rearrange matter in this way. Perhaps 'uncraftable' stuff could be things made beyond the scope of any matter-reassembler known. I also suggest that this 'ink' be called something more science-y. Proto-matter!
    Central space station idea ditched? Again, I am not saddened but rather relieved. The way the system seemed to work before, I would have had to share my home-away-from-homeplanet with everyone else on the server, which could lead to a strong clash of styles. Just as my homeworld, I want my galactic transport to show off my style. A communal asteroid is a good workaround for a 'centralized' location for the server, but I'd rather something that server ops can designate (like a planet, moon, gas giant, or even an isolated base in the middle of open space).

Honestly, I don't get why lately, people have been getting so butt-hurt over rather small gameplay and aesthetics choices (lol Avian respawn animation) that strive to simplify the gaming experience, rather than add needless tedium when you're just trying to have some fun. The game isn't even out yet, and nobody beyond the devs have played it. Everything should be assumed to be in a state of flux until the game itself is in the players' laps.

Taso, Active Link, Dust and 6 others like this.
  3. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

Well said, people keep saying "oh, loss of the space station, TURRIBLE" but actually its just moving on to an asteroid, I don't get the problem? Having your own smaller ship each is WAY cooler, you can decorate it how you like and fly around the universe without needing your friends opinion on where to go.

Everything else, the energy, printer etc, I think all of it is a handy choice, if people would stop freaking out, they'd realise the 3D printer is essentially a crafting bench that uses this so called "Printer ink" to craft stuff.

Soup and Urist McDwarf like this.
  4. The forum users here are potential-customers, people curious about Starbound, and it's only natural that they will share their opinions about a product they're interested in acquiring.

Medricel, Thanel and Nougat like this.
  5. I'm okay with no-ammo thing (ammo cluttering was the main reason why I not played as shooter/ranger in Terraria).
    But what about throwing weapon? Like hand grenades, darts, shurikens and such things? Are they even in game? I'm curious...:poptop:

Also, like the idea of 3D-printing.:)

Mianso likes this.
  6. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

It was mentioned before, but my only concern about energy being used instead of ammunition is the variety of ammo effects from guns that don't shoot energy rounds, but instead actual bullets (explosive, poisoned, piercing, critical hit chance). I feel that it could potentially limit things by a ton. And bows/crossbows, too... I really wonder if we'll get them, and if we do, if we'll actually get different types of arrows or bolts or if they'll just be energy too...kinda cool, but also boring...

RustyJ likes this.
  7. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

I was under the impression that this is how it was going to work anyway- the station itself wouldn't be moving around, just the players' ships. Which means I must have misunderstood if it's being *changed* to that :X

Zellman and WoxandWarf like this.
  8. Medricel

Medricel Space Spelunker

You make a perfectly legitimate point. What I'm mostly referring to are those that focus on one specific change and treat it as the end-all-be-all deal breaker.

Urist McDwarf and Shippo like this.
  9. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Before, I think the space station was going to be a huge movable ship, and then players would go to a planet in the station and "dropship" down to the planet, or back up to the space station. Once a player dropshipped down, THEN the other players could go other places without them?

That was pretty bad to begin with, so I'm glad they changed it.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  10. LazerEagle1

LazerEagle1 Master Astronaut

The whole idea of stumbling upon an abandoned station after fleeing your planet sounds very atmospheric though. Hopefully they ha capture that somber and solemn feel with whatever they choose to do with it now!

11. Shippo

Shippo Existential Complex

It will probably be that same way, with a ship instead.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  12. TuefelHundenIV

TuefelHundenIV Cosmic Narwhal

Or you could flee in your rackshamble ship and find that abandoned station.

13. LazerEagle1

I'm still horribly unsure about what the "3D printer" is. I know it's some sort of crafting material, but is it the ONLY way to craft, or is it just for furniture?

14. Vivid

Vivid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The ammo to energy switch is pretty interesting..it'll give some good balancing.
    Maybe we'll get a more in depth explanation and/or video. lol :proper:

WoxandWarf likes this.
  15. TuefelHundenIV

TuefelHundenIV Cosmic Narwhal

The 3d Printer is a general crafting item. There are other crafting methods. Tiy mentioned for example there are other crafting processes. The example he gave was crafting a candle stick holder from the 3d printer but you had to craft the candles separately. There is a video on youtube of live stream demonstrating physics and they show a brief sample of cooking. Raw food is cooked over a campfire to make cooked food.

If you want to know what a 3d printer is. It is a machine that builds a 3d object a layer at a time. Example of one here.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  16. LazerEagle1

I know what a 3D printer is; I've used one before, but i was unsure of how it worked in the game.
    Thanks!

17. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

I believe it is the equivalent of the crafting bench/table from minecraft/terraria. and that it lets you "print"/craft decorative items, such as cabinets, chairs etc. I think.

WoxandWarf likes this.
  18. LazerEagle1

Oh okay. Thanks!

Ugh, the anticipation for this game is killing me.

19. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

My understanding is that it will be a far more advanced version of what we have today... a 3D printer is a machine that can "print" layers of material (plastics, metals, other materials) into a fully functioning object. For example, in a video I saw, in just one print session, a "toy" was made that mad spinning gears that worked perfectly together and was a perfect replica of the 3D schematics made for it. I have seen one make a small, detailed action figure in person even.

So, in Starbound, it could be the same. It could essentially be a high-tech crafting table. I don't know if it'll be for food or organic things, but it could be used to re-arrange protons, or to layer-upon-layer create full items such as a sword or a helmet, or a table or chandelier... it's all very possible. Not just furniture, I think, far more than that. It's a pretty cool futuristic concept of a real thing we have now.

Edit: ninja'd, and my bad, I thought you were confused even on what a 3D printer is. Still, I hope it helped.

20. LazerEagle1

No, it is. I am physically dying.

WoxandWarf likes this.