1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[IRC] some more details regarding crafting/printing/dyes/homeworlds etc

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by plaYer2k, Feb 19, 2013.

1. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

Maybe you will be able to terraform it? You know, artificial atmosphere, then you can shape it in any biom you want. That would be cool!

2. Kousaka

Kousaka Void-Bound Voyager

So the station and "home planet" features have been combined into one? That will make it easier to keep track of your NPC recruits I guess.

3. Robo Hobo

Robo Hobo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

AHAHAH! EAT IT, MEATBAGS
    I'm so glad that all the guns will
    be Energy Weapons, screw bullets.
    They definately take away from
    the feel of the game. Yup yup.

4. AlphaMongoose

AlphaMongoose Ketchup Robot

Kinda sad about the lack of ammo, I wonder if even a rocket launcher would use energy.

Shippo and KirasiN like this.
  5. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

I agree, I'm really looking forward to not having to worry about ammo much. I hated trying to collect musket ammo in Terraria and then spend boatloads of resources to upgrade them...that game was such a money time sink.

But I wonder...what about missile launchers and other things like that? It wouldn't make as much sense to use up energy for that, but rather actual missiles, or grenades, or whatever the weapon launches.

6. shardival

shardival Pangalactic Porcupine

Hm...but Tiy mention something about different ammo types. So they withdraw from this idea?

JPK likes this.
  7. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

That's definitely an interesting idea for guns to use energy instead of ammo. I always figured that lower tech level guns would use ammo while higher tech levels would use energy and rocket launchers would always need ammo. The 3D printer sounds like an awesome logical way to handle crafting though. I hope they can figure out a way to make the visualization work because it would look amazing.

Also you might want to fix the second spoiler tag, you pasted that section twice with one line missing from the first paste.

Shippo likes this.
  8. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Give this man a viking badge.Now.

Ellie likes this.
  9. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Aww I was hoping for different ammo types.
    Maybe they will add in special slug "ammo types" chips into the game that you can install into guns to specialize the bullet types of the guns.
    Example: Gun A shoots a normal type bullet normally. Installing an "Piercing Slug Chip" would give that gun a slight piercing effect (such as 50% chance to pierce through 1 enemy and 50% of previous pierce chance to go through each additional enemy at the cost of more energy use per shot.)
    Example2: Gun B shoots a thin laser shot that deals light/heat damage effects. Installing a Wide Beam chip would make the laser beam thicker and eat up more energy per shot or installing a repeater chip would shoot smaller shots in X round bursts dealing less damage initially but more with each hit? Installing a Sustained Shot Chip would make the laser keep firing while eating up energy but deal X more damage per Y units of sustained time the laser is hitting an enemy.

Soup likes this.
  10. Ryfyle

Ryfyle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well the ammo = Energy thing blows. What I liked about Ammo in Games like Terraria, is that you could stock pile a massive reserve, and then spray them away for hours. In this fashion it could be harder to get to that level of sustained fire, and if anything else required energy, your going to gt screwed out of ammo.

11. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

This sounds like a very plausible idea. Using gun modifications to modify your projectiles and even reduce the energy consumption of the weapon seems like a pretty logical way to handle it.

12. Kesk

Kesk Phantasmal Quasar

I'm kinda sad to see what happened to the space station/home world.
    I understand why, but I still liked the idea of having the station as a home base, not just a meet-up area.
    BTW, by creative mode, does Tiy mean the usual infinite blocks type? (only on the base though)
    EDIT: Although... If the ship could get as big as a small Star Cruiser...

Sundew likes this.
  13. Sousuke Kuroda

Sousuke Kuroda Spaceman Spiff

I like the Warcraft and Elder Scrolls elves, I think those are fairly balanced. Furthermore when a species is comprised primarily of members over the age of 100, while a nearby species (humans) is comprised of people around the age of 30, and look ugly by comparison. It's no wonder the Elves are racist.

I mean, humans are Racist as hell against Orcs and Goblins most of the time.

14. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

I actually hoped for a variety of ammunition for my guns... like crafting explosive shots, acidic shots, distortion shots and what not. I hope it's still possibly to mod weapon projectiles with those properties.

Else gunning will be too monotonous.

natelovesyou and Sundew like this.
  15. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

With regards to guns requiring energy instead of ammunition, let's see how it works out in practice, when we actually get to play the game for ourselves. While it is kinda neat being able to carry thousands of ammunition for your chosen ranged weapon in other games. Having a restricted energy reserve(which can be less restrictive with specialized equipment) will make people think more tactically, instead of feeling like you're an extra in a starship troopers movie :)

Although I will kinda miss arrows for bows (Laser Arrows? wouldn't quite feel the same)

blind sniper and Soup like this.
  16. Beta

Beta Void-Bound Voyager

wait 3d ink replaces money now? what is 3D ink? is there a thread about it?

17. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

It was never, ever said that 3D printer ink is replacing "pixels" as currency. Tiy merely said it was a thought. Doesn't mean it's happening...

And the OP kinda clarifies what it is... it would come from materials that you break down (copper, silver, gold, diamonds, etc.) and is used to create actual items in the game. I don't see why Tiy would make that the currency, kind of an odd thing.

18. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

If you think about it what would 3-D ink be? Pixels! Pixels are used to build items, they are possibly the ink.

19. Beta

Beta Void-Bound Voyager

ok... thanks

20. mrMish

mrMish Void-Bound Voyager

Concerning the ammo - just because all of your ammo comes from your 'energy' bar, doesn't mean that all of your ammo is going to be energy/laser/phaser/beam whathaveyou based. It's just a unit of measurement in a game. Some guns will still fire physical projectiles - bullets, grenades, rockets, hammers, cats, whatever - but when they do, your energy bar will go down x amount - that's all. That's how I've interpreted it, anyway. They would probably just label the energy bar 'ammo,' but there are likely plenty of other items that use 'energy.' Call it mana, call it 'special,' call it jelly for all I care - it's not affecting the guns' projectiles.

And jesus christ, I'm really not liking how impolite people are on the IRC these days, if that snippet is any indication. That explains why I haven't been on it in months - its just a bunch of people crying for special attention and to have their insignificant obscure super-detail-oriented question answered. Back in the beginning, people would practically hush and go silent when Tiy logged on in order to let him clearly and concisely speak about whatever he wanted to tell us. Now - and mind you I can't speak for him - in his position I would be annoyed as hell and not visit very often. I'm most definitely putting myself on a cross here, but I can't be alone: I just want to get the game so I can start playing with like-minded mature people and stop sorting through all of this 12 year old hogwash to find a morsel of information.