1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Infinite Jumps w/ Grappling Hook Technique

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Shylarosaflorae, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Shylarosaflorae

Shylarosaflorae Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While messing around in my ship, I discovered a way to gain infinite jumps.

In the game, I had attached my grappling hook to the ceiling and raised myself above a platform. Figuring I would drop through the platform, I pressed S and Space to detach and (try to) fall through. What ended up happening was my character hovered in the place where they detached. Upon releasing Space, the character dropped onto the platform. I spammed Space and realized that I could now jump to infinity. I confirmed this on a Magma planet I had saved to my teleporter.

The biggest problem is that the aftereffect persists through save + quits, even after exiting the game.

Game version is 1.2.3b Windows x64. Couldn't seem to reproduce with another character.

EDIT: Here's a better description of the glitch's aftereffects.
    Upon successful execution, the game seems to keep grappling hook physics on the player (mid-air jumping, latitudinal movement while airborne), but forgets about the grappling hook not being currently deployed. This allows the player to maneuver freely, as the player is no longer limited by the rope of the hook. This also disables the player's equipped tech (all of it, even morph ball) since the game still believes the player is in a grappled state.

EDIT 2: Solution found. To fix this, go to the tech station at Outpost (or use your own console if you have one) and change any of your tech.

Mods:
    Xbawks Character Extender - 3.8.1
    Job Offers - 1.1.2
    nonuniform - 2.01
    Felin - 3.6.4
    Felin Fur+ - 1.0.1
    Racial AI Restorer - 1.2
    Weapon Stats - 1.0.1
    Undertale Music Pack - 1.0.3
    Not another Starbound song pack - 1.34
    Extended Songbook - 2.2
    Felin Costumes+ - 1.7.3
    The Orcana - B.4.6
    Avali (Triage) Race Mod - 1.0.2
    Invisible Clothing - 13.1
    Archer's Synthesizers - 0.6
    Familiars Race - 2.5.1
    CrazyFreak's Musical Collection - 2.0
    Extra Zoom Levels - 1.0.5
    Avian Tail Feathers - Starbound 1.0+
    Improved Food Descriptions - 1.7
    Splatoon Race - v.1.1.x22
    Crew Customization - 1.1.1
    Hive Wasp Race - 1.4
    Extra Plushies - 2.5
    Standalone SU Songs - 1
    Lamia Race - 0.9.1
    Weapon Assembly - 2.1.3
    RealKeys - 3.5
    Robbie Rotten Clothes - 1.1.1
    Optional Erchius Mining Facility Quest - 1.1
    Slime Race - 2017-02-27
    Stargazer's Dream - 1.4.6

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

A known game issue.

3. Shylarosaflorae

Not like that (although that is pretty fun.) What I'm talking about is a bug that gives you infinite elevating jumps after using the grappling hook just once.

4. Shylarosaflorae

Edited; added a better effect description.

5. Shylarosaflorae

Found a way to reset your state:

Go to Outpost and change any of your tech.

6. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

What's likely happening is that the status effect attached to the player by the grappling hook (activeMovementAbilities) isn't going away when you remove the grappling hook for some reason. Because of this, it continues applying the grappling hook physics to the player, as it still detects the status it uses to check whether the player is grappling or not.
    This is why your distortion sphere doesn't work; when attempting an activation, the DS checks for activeMovementAbilities, and stops if it detects that status.

Shylarosaflorae likes this.