1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Infinite Fuel (The Martinus Transformation)

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tsunder, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Tsunder

Tsunder Phantasmal Quasar

The Martinus Transformation

This law of nonequivalent exchange won't cost anyone an arm nor a leg!

Natural Spring Erchius

[​IMG]
    The Martinus Transformation is versatile and can convert any liquid into any liquid!

My Fuel is the Fuel that will fill the hells converter
    [​IMG]

Not pictured: the bottom of the lower container; hell.

Empty

[​IMG]
    Both pairs of buttons are connected to the switches in the top left; the switches control the flow and dump all containers (upper and lower).

In normal operation:
    i. The gates turn on and off themselves
    ii. The incoming liquid is distributed equally into very very small volumes (so small that it isn't visible). (some containers have two or more feeds)
    iii. Each container dumps most of its contents while rejecting any further liquids when the liquid level reaches the upper door.
    iv. Occasionally things will go wrong and the source liquid will contaminate the chambers. At the moment, the design is imperfect.

The mess

[​IMG]
    Each container has its own automatic dump control. The stuff below turns off the feed and dumps the larger container when it is full. I came here with but 42 fuel, and am now leaving with over 4000 8000.

The Martinus Transformation was Discovered by Martinus late one night while playing with poisons, Designed by me (Astraltor), and you best hope: not patched by the devs. It's already been looked at by the devs

sbreddit
    http://imgur.com/a/4gu6d <- source

2. Darkarma

Darkarma Phantasmal Quasar

That's an impressive build and even more awesome discovery

Serenity likes this.
  3. Helena Vinelash

Helena Vinelash Big Damn Hero

Hope sstuff like thiss is sstill posssible 2 years down the road.

Tsunder and Serenity like this.
  4. Supersonicsid

Supersonicsid Subatomic Cosmonaut

This is a bug,but they should totally keep it in. I think that factories like this to make fuel would be amazing,who knows maybe they could even refine it a bit more.

Helena Vinelash likes this.
  5. Rankff

Rankff Void-Bound Voyager

[​IMG]
    Mine is no where near as well thought out as yours is. BUT. I decided to give it a shot.

6. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

You were wrong, Samos! Dark eco CAN be controlled! We've learned its secrets. And now we can reshape the world to our liking.

7. Helena Vinelash

Or add a sspecial devicce that can convert one fluid to another.

There is after all rain in the game now.

Either way... I want there to be a way to convert fluids to other fluids or ssome complicated-yet identically flexible way of converting fluids sso we can eventually have erchiuss factories for multiplayer sservers, where then if we wanted to, it would be posssible to implement fuel in a player-run sserver economy... ssay in rp sservers which are a thing ofcourcce.

That or moons in the end-game can be sspecial moon variantss which have a different traitss, like ssome moons can be more erchiuss than rock, or other moons inexplicably generate the sstuff, or...

Jusst leave hte glitch and insstead refine it rather than remove it entirely.

Though perssonally, I wanna have ssome toxic fluid which flows like ssludge but can be used for powerful weaposns and equipment. Would be neat to incorporate fluidss directly into the crafting of weaponss and gear... or use it for the operation of ssaid items.

It'ss your fault TrueEdge. You reminded me of how ssweet of a concept Phazon in Metroid Prime 3 was and sstill is! <3

*drools at said concept happily* Sso cool...

TrueEdge likes this.
  8. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

So this thing is trending.. So here: I've done this before on an ocean world. Ocean worlds have infinite water spawns. Make a water spout and make it slowly drip into whatever liquid you want.. It's basicly meant to replicate rain on a planet.

9. 409

409 Big Damn Hero

I'm sorry to flash-flood your parade on a level comparable to noah's ark, but the Devs said they're gonna fix it and in the process make liquid transitions ugly as heck.

[​IMG]

Things like this are slowing down more important matters in the game's development. Seriously guys, quit trying to break things more than you already can with external programs...

10. Bucketlamp

Bucketlamp Giant Laser Beams

Of course, people wanting to feel they're novel kind of ruins it for everyone else. The moment the devs are aware something is awry they will fix it. Discover a cool thing that is a bug and want it to stay? Keep it to yourself. Discover a cool thing and want to claim it as your discovery? Discuss it, and watch it get fixed, but the few seconds of fame is totally worth it, even if other's new about it and didn't want to talk about it under fear it will break. The beautiful nature of bugs, they are squashed so easily.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  11. Helena Vinelash

Actually ssomething like thiss is... rather tame in terms of game-breaking bugs. And it'ss not a quickly-done thing either, water may not be sslow, but it isn't fasst either, to get anything closse to 1000 things of erchius, you need jusst as much water honesstly. Or any other fluid really.

Mods break the game, or can break it alot harder than thiss bug in other words.

It'ss like comparing the desstructive power of grenades verssuss atomic weapons.

And technically the devs could have left it alone and nothing would go wrong. Ssure people could transmute water into erchiuss, but not every bug-like thing has to be fixed. Just look at Sskyrim. It'ss got a bunch of bugs that the devs kept in because they're funny or they allow you to do neat thingss.

Meanwhile, it is literally posssible for the game to crash due to taking an item from containerss located literally anywhere in the game'ss worldss, even the ship. The bug happenss a bit less than it did in the unsstable/nightly, but it sstill happenss.

Perssonally bugs like that are more worth working on than anything elsse really. Jusst my opinion ofcourse, but it'ss one I feel that makess ssencce.

Model QT-377665 and TrueEdge like this.
  12. Pumpkin_Masher

Pumpkin_Masher Cosmic Narwhal

It's not like fuel is hard to get, every system has at least one moon flooded with the stuff.

13. Helena Vinelash

Well not flooded actually, but if you go for long enough, you can usually get atleasst 3000 unitss of the sstuff in 5-20 minutess, depending on the moon'ss layout, which as far as I know, is not any varied between different ssysstem typess, sincce the sstatss of ssaid moonss aren't any different between ssysstem typess.

14. taikina

taikina Subatomic Cosmonaut

this seems cool technically but kind of illogical, remember breaking boats on 4 cacti to get more wood in minecraft? i'm just glad they're not fixing that bug I found.

15. Martinus

Martinus Void-Bound Voyager

I'm the guy who discovered this - and on reddit I saw a few questions of how the machine is built so I'm also going to post it here. It's designed by Astraltor :

It might be jumpy at times but if you pause the video a few times you can follow it.

Tsunder likes this.
  16. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Well actually... They DID patch out the fun bugs. No more dragons flying backwards, no more naked couriers, etc.

17. Tsunder

Tsunder Phantasmal Quasar

More automation, fewer moving parts.

[​IMG]
    The one on the right seems to fill slightly faster, the one on the left seems to be contaminated less often. The gate is open only if the water is both containers is below that level AND the switch is on.

[​IMG]
    The bottom of this chamber, a dump + drain switch and a amount of fuel display.

edit: added tiles in attempt to limit the flow to reduce contamination.[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  18. bubbish

bubbish Aquatic Astronaut

Or for those who just want something simple... 2015-02-12_00006.jpg