1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Inevitable collapse of the 'Economy'

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ViewedCloth, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lance armada

lance armada Phantasmal Quasar

well do we even know money will be easy to obtain. i dont know much about this game yet so im guessing that we don't know how money can be obtained, but if money is not obtained from murdering monsters and instead make it a resource that is limited (ex: make ores be used for money) that way it cannot just be obtained easily you will have to go to other planets to find it. also i believe a bigger problem was that there wasn't very many uses for money, and seeing as it will have more uses now, you would need to mine more, explore more, and fight more. And to make exploring less easy, you could need to use fuel and therefore you will not get money as easy. if they have allready announced how money is obtained then just ignore this. or even better, reply to this notifying me.

2. BloodyRain2k

BloodyRain2k Pangalactic Porcupine

Terraria had it's fair amount of auto farms, even afk farms (I built some myself to reforge my end stuff cause I just needed TOO much money due to bad luck) but NO ONE ever forced you to build one so stop acting like the game randomly threw a few platinum at you for killing that slime, seriously, it wasn't like that.

One thing I'm wondering about was that screen where the inventory was shown. To be specific the possible size of it, because it was 8 x 4 (32) big which is nice, although it seems that sadly unlike MineCraft and Terraria items don't seem to be stored in the quickslots but just get linked there.
    Anyways that may not even be an issue if my guess is right that we may get up to 6 of these 8 x 4 inventories.
    I'm guessing that because there were 6 bags over the 8 x 4 grid and an earlier screen had a different layout but also 6 storage buttons.
    So to get to the point, with an inventory that may be up to 6 x 32 (192) slots we'd be able to carry a LOT of loot which would definitely remove the need of enemies dropping money. (atleast non humanoid ones)

Also I may be wrong but I think StarBound is NOT from the maker of Terraria but just has one of the artists from it in the team.

3. rosett

rosett Scruffy Nerf-Herder

yup, terraria and starbound are just really different games. as for the 'economy' in terraria anyway, i find that, when you gather large amounts of money without glitching, the expenses that you can make will still drain all of the moneys you can make. all of it. like buying ammo, buying wires (5 silvers apiece, augh!), and REFORGING (~30 gold every CLICK)

as long as there isn't very large amounts of money just laying around being unspent, it retains it's value. at least that's what i think regarding game economy...

and for the economy in starbound, i really hope it doesn't become like... EVE online's. brrr. o_O

wonder if huge modifications to ships/stations and constructing mechs would take a huge amount of money. appropriate for high tier players, and even then they'd still have to save up (because, if we can mass produce the mechs and have trained NPCs pilot them... leading a planetary assault, anyone? :D )

4. Crimson

Crimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

:rofl: What I meant was that if they didn't drop money, it might make getting money more difficult, and so money would be less of a thing to just have around, and more of a thing that actually mattered.

5. Cappuccino

Cappuccino Phantasmal Quasar

*Coffee drops pixels* :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.