1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Inevitable collapse of the 'Economy'

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ViewedCloth, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ViewedCloth

ViewedCloth Zeromus

There is a high probability that you pulled this face when you saw the title:
    [​IMG]

I shall explain, if you've played Terraria, you will know. In the early stages of the game, 1 silver was invaluable, but as the game progressed, players could acquire a large amount of currency in a small amount of time, and the most valuable type of currency was made worthless, thus crashing the 'economy'.

This problem could carry over to Starbound as the two games are very similiar and developed by the same person. It could make the game unbalanced and could have the same effects like Terraria in which the 'economy' crashed. Hopefully this will be fixed by released.

Also, I've got a really funny joke, why did this chicken cross the road?

He was on his way home from work and saw a group of troublesome youths loitering on the street corner and thought it would be best to avoid them by crossing the road therefore preventing any confrontation

M C, Coffee, SagginPT and 4 others like this.
  2. GermanJesus

GermanJesus Big Damn Hero

You do raise a very good point. Money becomes a throwaway in Terraria once you've found a way to grind it and make several platinum an hour. Hard to say at this point if it will end up the same way, as we only know what the currency is called. (which is Pixels) No clue as to how valuable a single pixel is or how much things cost.

3. Vargus

Vargus Big Damn Hero

It is a definite possibility, just like it was in Terraria. However there may be a better way to spend money in this games economy. Such as being able to spend pixels on weapon upgrades, or ship parts. Hiring new crew members. You never know till the game is out, or more information is released. :)

4. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

Why does 'economic collapse' matter in a game?

5. Vivid

Vivid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

well Tiy said that money is VERY important:notworthy: so it'll most likely have several uses in the game

6. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

>.> I think the economy me on here will be much more refined, I mean look at the simple lighting system with the flashlight!
    ~ John

7. Vivid

Vivid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Tax all of the civilians! :confused:

Coffee likes this.
  8. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

Gee, I hope we don't have to pay for the bases Gas and Electricity bills... :rofl:

Although you do bring up a good point, I never really did any of those 'quick money' schemes in Terraria but it'd be nice if it could be implemented in such a way that it wouldn't be so easily acquired. There is no harm and going out to farm enemies in your tentacle world (that is, if enemies drop pixels) but being able to acquire silly amounts by constantly doing something with no risk is just plain boring and will collapse the economy, hopefully it's a lot more refined.

9. Crimson

Crimson Subatomic Cosmonaut

I really hope enemies don't drop pixels. It just seems weird to me how in a lot of games, wild, feral enemies carry money. I'm OK with intelligent species carrying it, as it makes sense, but it'd be stupid for animals to carry around money.

10. bioemerl

bioemerl Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hopefuly this will be fixed by making the economy based on constructing building, and creating a real economy instead of just spamming farms. Also it would be cool to see a player-player money, and an in game money.

11. XeroCoolUSN

XeroCoolUSN Void-Bound Voyager

Im sure they will have 'cash' sinks in the game. The first and easiest that comes to my mind is research. It takes a lot of capital to do any sort of scholarly pursuits, so why not make it......Uber expensive.

12. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Make things cost a lot to buy so we can get a bunch of cash and then buy the things :p

13. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I think it'll be funny seeing everyone complaining and stuff, while I'll already be rich. :cool:

14. XeroCoolUSN

XeroCoolUSN Void-Bound Voyager

Well if I understand the premise of this game, money shouldn't really be a concern for you.....for a bit. You just escaped your homeworlds destruction, I doubt setting up a ROTA IRA is still on your mind. Survival should be number one. Just like Crafting materials, you should have several different tiers of 'motivation'. All of these survival should be based on how long you can survive without them, ie Oxygen is your first goal if your ship/escape pod is damaged/leaking O2, than water/food/shelter/ etc. Money should be very one of the later things that you really need to worry about

15. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

This is a very good point, but am I the only person that only acquired like 5 platinum in Terraria at most? :(

Anyways, I hope that Tiy told the truth, saying that money will play a HUGE role. This is what I always hate about games: When I have enough money to buy some top tier items, money just becomes a useless nuisance which lies around the floor afterwards, not serving any purpose for me, anymore. It just starts filling inventory space, and you don't know what to do with it!

16. Breather

Breather Oxygen Tank

I always used the money making glitch with the music blocks. :p I hope there's a money making glitch in starbound! :D

17. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I was more like:
    [​IMG]

LastSuicide and A.N.T.I. like this.
  18. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Let this man explain the economy to you:

I must say though he does prove some valid arguments, it's more of the sign what may happen to us in the event that the futility of our government doesn't shape up, but then what will happen? We will become husks of the beings we once were, nothing more then dust in the wind... and when it's all said and done we shall rise from the ashes of our logs and say "Hey, I was there."

19. 1000 Pixels = 1 Kylopixel
    1000 Kpx = 1 Megapixel
    1000 Mpx = 1 Gigapixel
    and so on.
    Think about that!:alien:

20. Lobo

Lobo Spaceman Spiff

farming possibilities destroyed terraria economy, not "grinding"...
    Just don't create mechanisms that "magicaly" create money generaring mobs every second and we're fine :rofl:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.