Modding Discussion I think JSONNET would be great for modders

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Monijir, Nov 20, 2015.

?

JSONNET?

1. JSONNET! :D

2. JSONNET? \:|

3. JSONNET! >:(

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Monijir

Monijir Scruffy Nerf-Herder

JSONNET is a 'Data templating language' from Google. Maybe it's just because it's so close to JSON.NET so it's tricky to google, but near as I can tell this it never got much buzz. You can think of it as scripting language to output JSONs that also accepts normal JSONs as input. So you can use object-oriented styled referencing and arithmetic or even quasi-functions to take the boring stuff out of your workflow. You can glark the potential pretty easily by checking out the tutorial

When I came across this earlier this year I instantly thought of Starbound. I had just started modding Starbound - I was trying to add a star system that included all the world types and dungeons to spice up endgame (The mysterious star mod hadn't been released). The process was super tedious there were so many instances where I was basically telling the config file "same as all the others, but one difference". Plus waiting for SB to reload because I left a trailing comma somewhere. I could have really used something like JSONNET at that point.

This is the part of the post where I ask for opinions and make disclaimers to deflect accusations of presumptuousness. But I don't feel like phrasing "JSONNET?" as a complete sentence, or devising some incantation in a futile attempt to avoid negative feedback on the internet. So you know -

"JSONNET?"​