1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I think it's great that people complain and whine about Starbound..

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Arkitech, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Fascist moderation aside (though I will say this; we only take issue when an opinion (negative or positive) if it is communicated in an aggressive manner), how does publishing affect the development of Starbound? Maybe one or two people temporarily work with another studio, who are developing their own game, to help them with distribution and marketing. The majority of Chucklefish is still sitting in their office working on Starbound. If they were all dropping their tools to help publish these games, then it's definitely a cause for concern. But as it stands, it's really just a bit of side income for the studio.

Shippo, Serenity and SeaMichelle like this.
  2. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

you realise that it took about 3 years to get to the beta right

starbound has been in devement sence like 2010
    and propley earlyer then that

besides all chucklefish does for puplishing is basicly
    "hay this exists" and the ability to skip greenlight on steam

Shippo and Serenity like this.
  3. Squaky

Squaky Pangalactic Porcupine

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST. Reason: Losing your cool. Expires: 2 months.
    Well, as a moderator, surely you can you tell me how publishing affects the development of starbound? All I can say is that the the more games Chucklefish decide to publish the slower things seem to go. The fact that a team who have yet to finish their game (which people have already paid for) can afford to spare people in such fatuous areas as marketing or distribution is surely a searing indictment on their order of priorities, no? And, as an aside, you're fascists because it's YOU who decide what is offensive/agressive and what is not, not the people your moderating.[DOUBLEPOST=1409013872][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Is that really all they do? Because I get emails from chucklefish about upcoming games from developers they've decided to publish alll the time. And a lot of their blog posts are about new games they've signed up for. Is it all they're really doing?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  4. Publishing in no way affects the development of Starbound. They publish said game, game gets released. Simple as that. No codework, no nothing. If they were developing said game, that'd be a different story. But they're not. The team's main focus is on Starbound. I WILL admit publishing said games before your own is complete is questionable, however. Sure they're helping those developers by getting their game's name out, but it does leave a lot of wrong implications upon execution.

And the mods only do what they've been told to do: moderate. IF something goes against the guidelines, they act on it. If something reeks of flamebait or is just really insulting, of course they'd have to take action. That'd go against what they've been told to do. And they aren't perfect either. Mods make mistakes. Moderators are people like us too (a lot of people seem to forget this fact), but hold a hell of a lot more responsibility here than you or I. Cut them some slack man.

Rainbow Dash, Serenity and Jonesy like this.
  5. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

yep, all of that falls under
    "hay this exists"

SeaMichelle and Serenity like this.
  6. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What makes you think the accusations of fraud are just silly? I feel as though CF was fraudulent in their advertising of this product mid 2013.

So you are saying that their roadmap which advertised the game as 80-90% complete+ in every area barring server management tools at the point which they started accepting money as pre-orders for a game soon to be released is just chalked up to overwhelming development and inexperience?

I don't think so, but if that is what you are going to argue then you would have to agree that criticisms that CF are grossly incompetent have some backing.

khalismur and Madzai like this.
  7. They expanded the scope significantly since that roadmap was created.

8. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I guess I'm the only one that is surprised to see a less-than-average amount of Pingeh likes in this thread.

9. MobiusDT

MobiusDT Void-Bound Voyager

The last ten percent takes longer than the first 90% is a pretty well known adage in programming circles, and in my own experience is very true. Getting the rough idea in the rock takes no time at all, but making it a masterpiece is a lot more work. The way I saw the game delivered was: "It's not complete, someday it will be. Buy it now, and get to play now, even though we still want to improve it". I've easily put in more than 130 hours playing Starbound, hell, I bought a 4 pack and gave them away to people I have yet to play the game with, and I still feel like I got my money's worth. There are only a handful of games where I've put in that kind of time, and in every case I've spent way more.

KyPTeD, Akado and Jbeetle like this.
  10. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How so?

I am a programmer too. That is called polishing. Do you think this game is even close to the polishing stage? Do you think this game was 80-90% done mid 2013?

khalismur and Bad Karma like this.
  11. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

I think fraud has no merit in this situation, because clearly CF has been working hard to deliver a good product. No fraudulent company goes back and reworks development that has already been completed. Unfortunately though I feel that what they're doing development wise is odd to say the least. I consistently see them devoting time to areas of the game that IMO should be completed at a later stage in the beta.

12. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I'm still waiting on that guy that said he was going to sue CF. lol

Lintton likes this.
  13. Arkitech

Arkitech Pangalactic Porcupine

You're drastically underestimating what goes into game publishing. If it was as simple as hey this exists why bother using an outside company, you can say hey this exists if you're a one man developer. Clearly there's more involved than throwing a link up on a website or sending out an email.

14. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think it is clear at all that they are working hard to deliver a good product. While I do agree with the argument that it is unlikely a fraudulent company would rework anything once the money has been handed over it doesn't suddenly make claims that they engaged in fraudulent marketing during pre-orders void.

15. nyan_cyrax

nyan_cyrax Void-Bound Voyager

When they first started talking about the titles they were publishing there wasn't too much uproar, but when we saw the 3rd and 4th news post about other game people just lost their shit. The topic of what playstarbound.com should be used for came up and yadda yadda we all know, the simplest way to describe it and the reason it would confuse or anger some is right here in the Starbound pre order page "Thank you for supporting us! Your purchase will go directly towards the development of the game and help us to get it finished sooner."

It doesn't say while we publish and promote other games, or work on a pirate game, just simply "help us to get it finished sooner"

16. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

I don't want Chucklefish to be successful, just Starbound. I know that one can't happen without the other, but I stand by my...convictions?

17. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

publishing doent mean anything
    its basicly "we gave ____ a few sacs of money so they would talk about us, becouse they are populer and will help get the word out"

you think steven speilberg had anything to do with the halo movie or anything like that

i guess the olny thing worth mentioning is that becouse chucklefish is puplishing they can use this to get there game on steam
    becouse you need a puplisher ( if you dont you have to use greenlight)

sure theres a bunch of tecnical stuff but i highly dougt that @Tiy or any other coder will personaly stop working to work on puplish a game on steam, i can see @mollygos doing it but i hightly doubt it cus it isnt her job
    they got someone else to do it (someone who isnt working on starbound)

18. Conmaan

Conmaan Master Chief

Im not sure about anyone else here, after skimming through this, but I spent my 15 bucks on a beta. Not a full game. If I wanted to buy something complete I would have bought something complete.

I think that feedback on the game's content and suggestions for things that would be neat to see in-game is important. However, buying an incomplete game also means that you may never see anything you want in the game. And to you, it will remain incomplete forever. Critisizing the people who are creating the game that you are playing solves nothing. It does not speed up how fast they crunch out content. It does not help the game in any way. The developers are making the game in the way that they envisioned it, at their pace. Just be glad that you can have a peek into wherever it is theyre going without having to wait months or years for the "full" game to release.

Lintton, MobiusDT, Tamorr and 3 others like this.
  19. demanrisu

demanrisu The Original Agaran Menace NPC

lol

20. Madzai

Madzai Phantasmal Quasar

Good for you, and probably for a good portion of other ppl, some ppl paid even less as, for example, in Russian Steam SB cost 300 rubles and it's around 8$. But some other ppl around here paid 15$ or much more for a complete game, which were supposed to be released in 2013 in full. Devs asked as to preorder SB because they ran of money and to deliver all promised things and speed up development. They argumentation was like "we either release a game in state it is in right now (with bit of polish, ofc), or take your money and make the game we all dreamed about". Ppl gladly paid for it. Before Beta hit the fan everything were OK. But after beta released some of us were really confused - how for, god sake, they planned to release game in 2013 - it's basically a tech demo right now, not a beta. After beta release one thing after another, some bad community-devs communication, Dev team moving and now we are here, without solid patches for a long time.

Bad Karma and Nimeni like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.