1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback I got a Dev Question about dev NSFW Mods

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Hekete, Apr 2, 2017.

1. Hekete

Hekete Subatomic Cosmonaut

Can this be done with Starbounds engine.

***Not asking for any NSFW mods!!!!***

I'm merely asking can it be done with the way the game engine works and what software do i need to make sprite animations that will be accepted into the engine.

I would need specifics is the engine color sensitive. 32 bt 64 bt 250 bt which one does it use. I know RPG Maker is very color specific before they brought out MV

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm pretty sure they've already been done, but they're not permitted on the forums.

3. Hekete

Same goes for SFW mods. animations wise. what program do you use to dev the game's engine.

i know they arn't was just asking if its possible . like can you do sprite work with PS then export it into the game . i see people making mods and i dont know they got custom animations into it. srry for double i cant edit my topic ><

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2017
  4. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The engine, IIRC, is a proprietary engine that is made especially for the game, and AFAIK, it supports a 6-digit hexidecimal RGB code for colors -- 000000 through FFFFFF (each pair of digits is in the RRGGBB format).

Best way to figure out how to mod anything, is download a mod similar to what you want to do (download a race mod if you want to make a race, etc) and then unpack the files if it's a .pak, and then just look through the files to see what they did. Look at the spritesheets, the JSONs, etc.

Animations are done through spritesheets, frame by frame. Download any race mod and search through the folders, you'll eventually find a sprite sheet for the body, etc.

However, you cannot create a NEW animation for something that doesn't already exist in the game, such as climbing (the sprites exist for climbing, but there doesn't seem to be any code that actually calls the function and thus displays the sprites), crouch-walking, etc. That's hard-coded in-engine last I checked.

5. Hekete

wow... wait there a climbing system Oo you mean like on trees?????!

so if one were to try to make a NSFW mod it can not be done because there animation code isn't already in the game so it wouldnt work even with the sprite sheets corrrect?

6. ManaUser

ManaUser Cosmic Narwhal

I'm not sure I understand the connection between NSFW mods and animation. Are you talking about adding animated sex scenes? Because I mean there are plenty of other ways to add NSFW content to a mod, and indeed NSFW Starbound mods already exist elsewhere on the internet.

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

It is better to actually unpack the assets and see for your self.
    A lot of the questions you seem to be asking - seem to be very confused.

I am guessing you are basically asking,
    If the animation you drew is not part of the original sprite sheet, it won't work.

That is partially true.
    To add new animations to player races you would need to add sprites to every race + armor.
    This is because all races and armors use the same reference frames, and if you add animations to one race and it doesn't exist in another. It will throw errors.
    Which is thousands of hours of work.

If you are adding animations to a custom NPC - it is as simple as drawing the sprite.
    Same thing goes with custom sprites in techs.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  8. Hekete

yes to be honest IF i where to try to make one that is and yes Agent S. that is what I'm asking :) if i dew something not originally part of the sheet will it work.

hmmm alright thank you so much for this info :) its much appreciated ^^

9. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

To be honest... no offense, but all of this "IF I were..." is... well, let's just say it is rather obvious that you intend to make a mod of this type. There' s no real kidding anybody with this, lol.

Nobody's going to attack you for making a NSFW mod, it's just you can't link to it here on the forums, nor can you upload the mod to the repo here, nor can you show screenshots of any NSFW content.

So, no real reason to try to thinly veil it with "If I were to..." because you obviously are. If that's your cup of tea, whatever.

@The | Suit : I highly doubt their mod has anything to do with characters actually wearing armor, lol.

But that's good info to know, for anybody who asks about adding animations in the future.

MelOzone likes this.
  10. Kiama

Kiama Tentacle Wrangler

I think they were just saying they weren't asking for links to mods... they didn't pretend they weren't trying to create one.

Sent from my SM-N920L using Tapatalk

11. Hekete

huh? I was just asking if adding in new animations were possible and how would you do that. D:

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well you kept going "If I were to make an NSFW mod....." several times in the thread.

Now, if you weren't making an NSFW mod, then why add the NSFW thing at all? Why not just say "Hey guys I want to add new animations, how do I do that?" and not mention anything about NSFW at all.

*shrugs* Either way, it's not a big deal, but ya.

ManaUser likes this.
  13. Hekete

because there are no nsfw animations in starbound let alone other animations like say tree climbing. was trying to find out if you could add in sprite sheets that were brand new not ones already in the game and re-textured. if the game would recognized them and how would you do that. customized animations. weather its NSFW or not. can it be done. im sorry if i wasn't clear.

I know like say..... chopping down a tree instead of using the mining tool to do it. your character draws out an Axe and hits the tree with it. or a pikaxe to mine for ores. animations like that. if i wanted to add new ones in. can it be done. like say i take the sprite sheet of minining and make a new sheet and call it say... Axe Chopping so that when I hit a tree i can cut it down using tree cutting animation. or how about a ladder for climbing. i place a ladder object on the ground and the character can climb up it instead of jumping up it, you press the up key and the engin spawns your character's new sprite sheet for climming up a ladder. is that possible

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2017
  14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

There is no mining sprite sheet.
    The arms are animated through code.

15. Hekete

If i were to make a mining sprite sheet would the game be able to use it?

16. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

NSFW mods are indeed possible. They aren't allowed on this site or (probably) the Steam Workshop. There are mod sites that allow them to be posted, however.
    There was on big one being made but nothing ever came (lol) of it, so far.
    There's a nudity mod, mostly just adds a 2-3 pink pixels to everything and removes human underwear.
    And there's one outdated one with "furniture" items of a highly questionable nature that you can "sit" on. Ahem. Haven't used them myself, but I had to investigate out of pure scientific curiosity.
    There's also the dancer holograms mod, I don't think it's up-to-date here, but it's on the Steam Workshop.
    I wish it'd get updated to include all of the races, just because I'm a fan of quality and completeness. Right now it just has one Apex, a bunch of colors for male/female humans, and for some reason, Shantae.

What do you mean by a mining sprite sheet?
    Have you ever used a pickaxe? Your character swings his/her arms when doing so.

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Shantae is actually more popular than people realize, lol. That and what, all but one game features her dancing as a game mechanic (usually to transform her into various animal forms?). So it would be natural that they'd have a dancing hologram of Shantae, because she's already 2D Pixel Art and it's incredibly easy to replicate because the Sprites and Animations have already been done for her, one just needs to "convert" them to Starbound Style.

18. Hekete

bad example Oberic. ok lets say.... I wanted to be able to climb something? if i were to make a climbing animation would the game reconize it if i pushed the button to allow my character to climb an object like say a ladder object that i made?

19. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

No, because the code doesn't exist to make, say, the up arrow move your character up a certain type of object.

What you would need to do:

1). Add code to the game that makes the game know to move your character up an object type, like ladder or rope.
    2). Add code that specifies rules... what happens if you get hit, how fast you move, can you jump while holding on a ladder, rope, etc. What buttons control this, etc.
    3). Add a new item type so the game knows what is a climbable object and what isn't.
    4). Add climbing animations (already done for the vanilla races, the rest just wasn't implemented to actually use it)

#1 and #2 cannot be done by modding, AFAIK. There's no way to add new button controls. As it is, there are hotbar mods that give more hotbar buttons, but adding key assignments to said buttons is impossible because mods do not have access to the key assignment function. That's hard-coded into the engine.

lazarus78 likes this.
  20. Hekete

thank you so very much for the help Xylia : ) its much appreciated.