1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

I am lead Starbound developer and head of Chucklefish games AMA

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Oct 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tiy

Tiy Lead Developer Chucklefish

Hey guys, I've been doing IAMAs here and there on Reddit and Twitter but rarely on the official forums. Largely that's because the forum layout doesn't really lend itself well to an IAMA, but I'd like to give it a shot anyway as I know there have been a lot of questions building up.

So let's give this a go.

Ask me anything.

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

How's the puppy?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
  3. Yanthir

Yanthir Void-Bound Voyager

Are you planning on creating a more dynamic and diverse combat? The current one (even though the changes you already did made it way better) is still quite same-y and doesn't provide much variety in possible approaching tactics.

Tourquilian, MindExplorer and Ainzoal like this.
  4. bakana33

bakana33 Void-Bound Voyager

Hhi Tyi, have you a new personnal project for a new game ?

5. extremist

extremist Existential Complex

Where do you see starbound head into the future? Are you happy/content with the progress so far?

6. Feathery Dust

Feathery Dust Spaceman Spiff

Hai Tiy, I was wondering.. once Starbound is completed one day, do you have plans for another game in the future?

Ainzoal likes this.
  7. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

when are you guys going to add more insterments?

they are my fav part of starbound and i want more :rofl:

8. NeoEndymnion

NeoEndymnion Void-Bound Voyager

Do you think the characters will get some more options for clothes in the future? I know it's early yet, and there's armors and some costumes, but I wonder if there's not some more plans for more customization within the game without mod support? Maybe a revamped creator or the like. Either way, I am loving the game. And I like you guys are up front about what you're working on. It's refreshing to see it evolve over time. Even when I can't play, I can see new things.

Ainzoal likes this.
  9. BetaSpectre

BetaSpectre Phantasmal Quasar

Will there be NPC followers? Not just pets but people too!

Ainzoal likes this.
  10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

When you are in a creative slump, what do you like to do to reset and recharge?

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Let's talk sub-Biomes. Are you looking to add new ones to "old" planet types in the future? Like, currently Desert planets can only spawn Tar and Oasis sb-biomes. Think we'd get another one or two later on, once the rest of the planets are filled out? Like say "Greek" ruins or a withered forest?

What of sub-biomes on Ocean planets of various types? I think it'd be interesting for those worlds to have some larger landmasses with a little difference.

Will we be hearing new background musics soonish? I mean, what we got is lovely and all, but... repetitive. Really, really repetitive.

And in less-suggesty stuff... what fan-stuff has surprised you the most so far?

Tourquilian and Ainzoal like this.
  12. Any plans for planet/biome events and happenings?

Any plans to improve the navigation/starmap aesthetics?

Will there be more ship pets/a way to change ship pets?

MindExplorer, Kaiachi and Ainzoal like this.
  13. lazarus78

Marvel or DC? Favorite character? Any particular reason why?

Tourquilian and Katzeus like this.
  14. yclatious

yclatious Guest

Seems neato.

While I know that for the most part Starbound is a lighthearted platformer/Sandbox game, will we be getting some more darker themes in terms of the Lore and the story mode?

And if ya wouldn't mind a second question, is there any plans for some new tracks for the OST?Perhaps I just listened to it too much, but many of these feel so out of place, yknow?As much as I like it, sometimes getting Psyche while mining, or a M54 out of nowhere, its just kinda odd, same with certain songs, they just feel too "epic" or set up for a somewhat mellow to melancholic tone that, to be perfectly honest, most of Starbound does not have.

You know Sunless Sea Tiy?And how much of its atmosphere is of despair and fear, with its lowest form being of a sad melancholy?And then you have a song like Submergio Voil, that never fails to bring your hopes up, and always gives ya the chils or waters yer eye?

Starbound could use a Submergio Viol.

Tourquilian, Oxidis and Ainzoal like this.
  15. TheGladex

TheGladex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

What are you gonna do about the creatures? I see that they are still very much bland :/ Have you thought about adding passive behaviors to mobs? Something to make them feel more unique.

MindExplorer and Oxidis like this.
  16. What would you say your biggest challenge with Starbound has been so far?

17. Will there be any bosses that aren't limited to mission instances? Building arenas for that home turf advantage is really fun -- and I'm a little saddened we can't do that with the current bosses.

MindExplorer, L3W and 1nfinitezer0 like this.
  18. lazarus78

How do you (As in ChuckleFish) start a typical day? Do you hold daily meetings, or are they weekly? Generally what is your process like for making sure everyone is on task and work is appropriately divided?

Oxidis and Ainzoal like this.
  19. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Are you planning to add more wide scale planetary terraforming?

For example building structures on the surface allowing you to change the atmosphere (thus changing the sky color and or weather).
    Or/and allowing you to use a virus/bacteria/whatever to remove a tree type on a world and then seed said world with a new tree type, including the background tree's (same could be done with creatures off course).
    Or/and Orbital bombardments to level a world (basicly turning a world into a "barren" world).

(Just a side note, having for example orbital bombardments and seeding worlds with capsules as optional side upgrades to the ship would be neat).

20. benignInferno

benignInferno Void-Bound Voyager

What kind of plans do you guys have for future implementation of vehicles in Starbound? I have played around with the mech tech in the past but that was very underwhelming.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.