1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Huge Spoiler] The Ark.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Garatgh Deloi, Mar 12, 2015.

1. maxiestagate

maxiestagate Space Hobo

So the world eater will return

2. Garatgh Deloi

Garatgh Deloi Master Astronaut

Unknown what they are refearing too. Its likely a hint at the last boss (as you meantioned, the world eater in the ark). But it used to be a cat room so it might hint at cats being the evil masterminds of starbound (semi-joke, cats realy are evil masterminds irl).

3. MunKy

MunKy Void-Bound Voyager

Yes, yes I did :3
    In fact thats why I came here was to ask if anyone had ideas on the 8th race.

4. Pentigan

Pentigan Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well before they removed it, that face was the symbol they now use for the Ark on the Gate's teleport menu. As in a single eye like on the tentacle creatures.

5. MunKy

MunKy Void-Bound Voyager

hmm, suspicious.
    I wondered if it would be a cat race, but maybe an ocular race that broke away from the big bad eye, or maybe been removed by the other in-game races as punishment of a betrayal. All pure speculation from me ofc, but I love the mystery so far.

6. Niner-7

Niner-7 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I went to take a peek in the lunar base mission's hidden room and saw these runes:
    2015-09-05_00001.jpg 2015-09-05_00002.jpg

7. Garatgh Deloi

*facepalm*

You have to be doing it on purpose, right?

8. Niner-7

What?

9. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Look at the top post on this page of this thread.

(He's referring to the fact that this has been posted many, many times, even just in this thread. See my post above for more info on that room)

10. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Hm.

Anyone else saw the two statues in the background around the Gate thing?

If it has been posted a lot don't bite my head off I never read them.

11. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Same post at the top of this page. Ark wiki page.

12. Garatgh Deloi

The nine messages before your message discusses the very same thing you just posted and your name is "niner". Its on purpose, right?

(And as Varixai mentioned this "secret" has been mentioned many times allredy).

13. shaderai

shaderai Void-Bound Voyager

So there are six slots in the door to what is assumed as a prison, and seven current races in the game, which means six races hold the keys to unlocking it, but that means one race is made and not born ( Glitch or Novakid are my guess), and there is an eighth slot empty on the ark gate. So the creators of the ark, likely long dead, left a message for others to find. Am I up to speed on this forum so far?

My question is, what if this elder race in not a god race, but a race born early on in the galaxies life cycle (not very original), and advanced far before the rest, and in doing so created a race ( maybe to relieve loneliness)? What if upon discovering the six races decided to protect them from the threats of space the elder race had to deal with as they explored space? Perhaps their technology was advance not in the same way the younger species technology would advance ( similar to haloverse, covenant using plasma for power, humans using electricity for power, ect.) , and by the time the six younger species advanced, they could view the ancient technology as mystical? The world eater is a bit harder to explain by sci-fi rules, it could be a simple minded creature born in a very hostile galaxy, where there were things bigger and badder than it, and destroying planets helped in survive (by adding to it's shell? I'm not sure), but the elder species saw it as an evil creature bent on destroying everything ( the same way a canary views the cat as a ruthless monster), so they attacked it, destroying themselves before sealing it away.

But this is just me, I look way too deep into things, and I love to create stories, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. ~Shaderai

14. hoboshoe

hoboshoe Astral Cartographer

It's commonly accepted that the race not included are the novakids, their lack of attention span is cited as the reason, making them unreliable keyholders...
    but then again if whatever is behind that gate is so bad then it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to entrust the key to someone who will lose it :rofl:

15. Niner-7

This is a very funny situation.
    I had no idea that there were any posts about this. Oh well, I can't ever be first I guess.
    And my name being Niner-7, that's actually from my first Cyborg in Terraria having that name.
    COINCIDENCE? I THINK NOT!!

16. firox39

firox39 Void-Bound Voyager

I personally think that the humanoid figure that shows up "fighting" the tentacle creature is what many people are referring it to: the Protector. I think it's a mechanical being made by the Ancients or Predecessors as a way of getting rid of the "Destroyer" or tentacle monster.

Brief summary of another thread for lore:
    A long time ago, the predecessors came into being and developed space travel and black hole technology. Eventually, they sort of maxed out their skill tree and found they had the hole universe as a sandbox to play around with. They created numerous robotic races that all destroyed themselves except one, the Glitch. They also made the Florans, and gave the Apex advanced knowledge. Meanwhile, in another part of the galaxy/universe, a strange parasitic creature evolved. A giant tentacled thing of planet-sided proportions, it release slug-like eggs into the infinite beyond, in hope of them reaching a planet and growing. The predecessors quickly thought up a plan to subdue the beast nicknamed the Destroyer. they built a massive machine of equal size to fight the monster while the rest opened a pocket dimension inside a black hole. The machine, or Protector, fulfilled it's purpose and shoved the Destroyer into the pocket dimension. During the clash, a star went supernova resulting -eventually- in the birth of the Novakid. The predecessors then sealed the black hole behind a door and distributed the 6 keys to the most advanced present races. The Novakid were not given a key as they did not exist yet, or weren't advanced enough to even understand what they were given.

A few things that remain uncertain, is whether or not Greenfinger was/is a predecessor (if so, then he probably mad the florans); if the Avians were visited by the predecessors or the Novakid; and if the 'eighth race' is really a separate race (perhaps a sub-race of the Destroyer) or just simply the Destroyer itself.

Please reply,
    Firox 'Information beyond reason'

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  17. SADOLetsPlay

SADOLetsPlay Yeah, You!

Anyone else standing at this tentacle statue is waiting for the giant eye to open any minute? :D

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

It would make me wonder, because I think with the given Floran backgroudn the florans would be too young to also exist at the same time of these events. While the novakids were said to be forged aeons ago. But who knows if the entire story is continued properly at this point anymore, because we still ahve the mushroom people and now the shadowpeople. So a few things don't fit with the entire picture anymore. And the left our face may be a placeholder for another race if CF ever wants to decide adding another one (even if they said they don't plan to)

So by the given lore, the Novakids would be older than the Florans. Yet the Novakids are not "fleshy" and seem to be lacking memory and attention spans. So they porbably weren't involved into this much, or just can't remember.

Oh and also, I found one of the older tweets that had the 8th race. This appears to be the tentacle thing itself, being shown as the eye of them

[​IMG]

Also an interestig sidenote is also, that the pictures of the monster always show the one eye and 4 tentacles. This counts for the Stone figurine as well as both other blue glwing symbols.

Also, the huge one protecting against the Monster, mabe its a giant Novakid? We know that the Novakids are actually just gas contained in a hull. it may explain that the Novakids are not in the six raced picture since they gave the keys to the other races. And the ARK is some documentary, because the Novakid nature is not good at memorising things. Which could also be an explanation why the Novakid themself don't know much about all of this anymore.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  19. SADOLetsPlay

SADOLetsPlay Yeah, You!

i still dont understand why the novakids are western themed with a steam train ship :D but you've got a good point there Lily!

20. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Well the steamtrain, maybe because they are made of gas and steampowered gear would fit to this. The entire rest of the western theme is a bit like the pioneer and gold rush ages, since the Novakids were said to be constantly travelling and mining gas and stuff in space. Maybe because wild West is also pictured with a bit desert/barren like environment. and novakids are kinda hot gases. That all kinda creates the connection to wild wets style.

However, the hyotls are kinda asia themed, The Apex communistic /70's/80s like, The Humans rather modern, Avians kinda egyption tomb like and the florans tribe like. And the Glitch, wlel medieval. How does medieval for to robots? Not much, but maybe because like knight armors they are just metal cans xD.
    So i guess the Novakids got that western themed style by being some kind of genre that was left to slap onto someone fitting their given background. It was afaik, also a playermade race suggestion. So Someone probably wanted a race of spacecowboys and slapped a fitting background onto them xD. And a lot people and chucklefish liked it and it got implemented.