Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. chrisgbk

chrisgbk Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yeah, unfortunately while doing some refactoring, I broke it so that it ONLY worked if it correctly auto-detected your install location - if the registry settings were incorrect or non-existant, and you tried setting the path yourself, it would internally set up the tools paths, but I forgot to change a flag to actually allow it to let you use it in that case.

2. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

what is this program you're talking about? apparently the one in OP is broken and I need to replace it

3. chrisgbk

http://community.playstarbound.com/...sset-packaging-unpackaging-gui-frontend.1334/

Auto detects starbound install directory if it can
    Sets up the tool paths automatically
    Drag and drop support

Just a note though; since the very first release, certain anti-virus programs give false positives.

These are detailed in the link.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  4. Cell Materia

Cell Materia Cosmic Narwhal

5. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

6. Stormalisk

Stormalisk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So i'll be honest, my feet are barely wet on the subject of running terminal commands. However I gave it a shot, and i'm not quite sure how to structure the command on Linux Ubuntu. Here is what I typed "/home/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/linux 32/asset_unpacker" "/home/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/packed.pak" "/home/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/Test" and all I got was "No such file or directory"

7. chrisgbk

I believe on Linux you have to escape spaces instead of using quotation marks, so you would use "linux\ 32" instead of "linux 32"

8. Stormalisk

Stormalisk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I separated the linux and 32 because it makes a face for some reason. The way the forum is programmed.

9. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Use the code tag to prevent smiley faces from showing
    Code:
    linux32

10. Desolator

Desolator Pangalactic Porcupine

i never thought i'd be back here again. now i need to unpack the .pak folder for the okea mod cause the games not working. already tried some of the programs but they don't really help. any suggestions?
    EDIT: Here is what I typed into the command prompt. I've been waiting for almost an hour. I know they take a little bit but the longest I heard of was 20 minutes. This should be done by now. Here's my command prompt:
    Screenshot (104).png

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  11. chrisgbk

You made a typo, you left out a quotation mark at the start of the pak file. However, old pak files can't be unpacked with the tools in starbound, you will need to download an old copy per the post above

12. Desolator

Desolator Pangalactic Porcupine

yeah i just found out that okea has a unpacked version. sorry for wasting time

13. Dolan

Dolan Pangalactic Porcupine

I SexualRhinoceros, thanks for your tutorial about packing/unpacking. It's an easy and good one.
    I also think it's a good entry point for the mod I made and available on the Starbound Mod page : ModPackHelper
    It's a simple bat file (Windows only for now) that allow to pack / unpack quickly.
    A little bit different than the one that made wraithbone.
    I may add a linux version in the few days.
    Not sure about Mac because I don't have any at home to test but I think the Linux one could be easily ported to.

Could you add a link in the "Programs to do this > Windows" part of your tutorial ?

Thanks in advance (No blame if you don't ;))

14. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but when I unpack the .pak file, it only unpacks part of it. Like, only stuff I have used in-game, and nothing else. Not so great when you want to tamper with say, the mining drill radius, and then re-pack it so it'll apply the change. Any thoughts/help? (I'm doing this on a mac, btw)

15. JadedSquirrel

JadedSquirrel Yeah, You!

Theres a much easier way to do this. at the bottom of your Starbound\win32 folder there is a .bat file named unpack_assets.bat it will unpack everything and put it into a folder in the assets folder named unpacked. save yourself the typing and just do it this way :]

16. You're welcome for that...

17. Gubz

Gubz Void-Bound Voyager

Is there, anywhere, perhaps an uploaded version of the unpacked files for windows?

I'm missing the Perl expressions library pcre3.dll for whatever reason. it is essential to unpacking these .pak files, and therefore I cannot unpack using any method.
    I am far from comfortable placing anything I get from the internet into my system folders, dll or otherwise, so I'm not exactly in a position to obtain it.

18. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

first off, I'm not sure if they publicly said this or not, but distributing the whole unpacked file struckure is most likely a no no on here.

second off, Windows comes preinstalled with that .dll so I'd run an antivirus and check that it wasn't replaced. I've always found originaldll.com to have mostly trustworthy .dlls if one is corrupted or missing, so I'd suggest downloading from there and running a virus check via an AV or totalvirus.com (which I did, its clean via here)

Hope this helps and good luck!

19. Anonfox123

Anonfox123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Are there still no answers for my issue about the mac unpacker? I'm still getting the same problem....

EDIT: Mah bad... I didn't let it run long enough. :p

20. starburd

starburd Master Chief

it says permission denied on terminal