Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

What problem do you have?

2. JellyGem

JellyGem Starship Captain

I go to terminal to put in a command prompt and despite following the instructions (i think, lol!) it doesn't, well, unpack the files. I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong.

3. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

Can you paste here all the command line you use? :) thanks

4. JellyGem

"cd ~/Library/Application/Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/starbound.app/Contents/macOS/asset_unpacker" "cd ~/Library/Application/Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/packed.pak" "cd ~/Library/Application/Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Test"

5. NanoPi

NanoPi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if you're typing out paths like that, you don't need the cd command at all.
    to fix that command, remove the cd word, change Application/Support to Application Support, change starbound.app to Starbound.app, and change macOS to MacOS

the result would be:
    "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS/asset_unpacker" "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/packed.pak" "~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Test"

intervencion likes this.
  6. JellyGem

thanks for the assistance, but it now comes up with the error 'no such guide or directory', referring to the asset unpacker file, even though it is clearly there. Dx

7. turbo614

turbo614 Space Spelunker

I just did this minutes ago on my win 8.1 sony vaio touchscreen laptop utilizing the earlier mentioned .bat file. Worked like a charm!!!!

8. JellyGem

Problem solved! For mac users (or at least, my mac): Replace the '~' with '$HOME' and it should work.

9. NanoPi

NanoPi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

if that's the case with every mac, I wonder if there is a problem with the guide that was added to OP.

Code:
    cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/
    Code:
    cd $HOME/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/
    this command only changes the terminal's working directory to Starbound's folder. do both of these commands work?

10. Aurorialis

Aurorialis Pangalactic Porcupine

Dammit, SexualRhinoceros! This thread is a good thread. It deserves a sticky. It let me get started modding. But every time I come to this forum, every single time, I CAN FEEL YOUR USERPIC WATCHING.

SEDUCTIVELY.

11. JellyGem

yeah the 'cd' isn't even necessary, all in all this is what I used:

Code:
    "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Starbound.app/Contents/MacOS/asset_unpacker" "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/assets/packed.pak" "$HOME/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Starbound/Test"

12. SexualRhinoceros

SexualRhinoceros Existential Complex

you're welcome ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    *waits for custom username "*Stares Seductively*"*

13. NANOKARMA

NANOKARMA Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the tutorial, but it still scares me to fuck it up D:

14. Patchumz

Patchumz Pangalactic Porcupine

For any OS X users that want an easy tool for unpacking/packing assets/mods (when modpak support is implemented next patch), I made a nice service script for you. Mod/Asset Packer/Unpacker for OS X

15. SexualRhinoceros

if you post it here with instructions on how to use it, I'll put it in the OP :D

16. Mapekus

Mapekus Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I've done exactly what has been said in the OP and tried numerous other methods, but when I unpack the assets, it doesn't produce all of the folders.

This is what it produces. http://i.imgur.com/qMRmn3j.png

Is it intended? How do I find the item files so I can edit them?

17. SexualRhinoceros

you need to let it finish unpacking. Wait until the process finishes and the command prompt starts a new line

18. Desolator

Desolator Pangalactic Porcupine

Just as a question, why is it in your e drive?

19. Desolator

Code:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32\asset_unpacker.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\packed.pak" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\assets\test"
    As severedskullzed said, it takes a while to unpack. How long would entering this code take?

20. Desolator

HOLY LITERAL SHIT I THINK IT WORKED!!!

Attached Files: