Tutorial How to successfully pack and unpack .pak files

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SexualRhinoceros, Jan 26, 2014.

1. intervencion

intervencion Existential Complex

Do this:

(change the directory to yours)

2. Solar's Wrath

Solar's Wrath Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It tells me its not a valid Win32 application...

3. intervencion

Twilightsnake, Windows 8?

4. Solar's Wrath

No i use Windows 7

5. Use this. Save it as a .bat file by copy pasting it into notepad, "save as" and then "unpacker.bat". Make sure you select All Files as the type. Place it in your win32 directory in starbound. Then run it.

http://pastebin.com/SS4JV3V3

6. Solar's Wrath

[​IMG]
    It give me the same error... :/

7. Well.... shit. I'm assuming you ran this as an admin, correct?

Youre honestly the first Win7 user that's gotten this so far.

8. Solar's Wrath

after i clicked ok, it told me it did it anyway which is find dumb... But once its done... where are the stuff?

9. Heh. Sadly its not. Its just the way I wrote the batch script.

If bartwe hadnt already told me he didnt want us passing around unpacked assets, I would have just Zipped them up for everyone a long time ago.

10. intervencion

Actually, is not a bad idea.

11. Solar's Wrath

The thing is that i want to make a Race mod... And i need the original Human sprite for it...

12. intervencion

Use that for the moment.
    To Twilightsanek
    Your issue is... well.. 1st on windows 7 xD

13. RavenDust

RavenDust Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Try verifying the game assets. That error looks like the asset_unpacker.exe is broken. To be on the safe side, i'd delete it and verify the game assets through steam, that gets you a shiny, new asset_unpacker.exe.

14. Solar's Wrath

Thanks, The sanek appreciate :3
    What do you mean by verifying it through steam? When i delete things from Starbound and try to run it, it crash because it doesn't auto update when a file is missing... Well at least the last time i tried...

15. RavenDust

1. delete asset_unpacker.exe
    2. Steam Library.PNG right click on the game title in your steam library.
    3. Properties.png click on "Properties"
    Verify.PNG
    4.1 select the "LOCAL FILES" tab
    4.2 click on "VERIFY INTEGRITY OF GAME CACHE..."

That should redownload every missing file, including the previously deleted asset_unpacker.exe.

16. Arucard

Arucard Aquatic Astronaut

[Ninja'd]If you right click the game in your steam list and go to properties (I think) there's a button saying "validate game files" which will check if you have everything installed.[/Ninja'd]

I don't think that's you problem though, where exactly do you have steam installed? Mine is on an external hard drive so the directory path is very different from the one in the OP's example, also I'm using Vista so take that into account since I don't know what's different on Win 7.

Here's what I did:
    -open the command line from start menu
    -open a window to the Starbound folder that has the unpacker.exe
    -click on the address bar (outside the address itself) to highlight and copy it
    -do the same for wherever you want to keep the game files
    -then just unpack and wait, you should see the folder then files show up wherever you unpack them

17. RavenDust

Well, if a windows application crashes with a message like "No win32 application", it's usually a sign that the internal command logic is broken, so it means you can go and smoke it or something. In the most cases, the problem goes away the moment you reinstall it, so that particular problem will vanish once he verifies the stuff.

aaand... The screenshot clearly states it's installed under C:\blabla, the absolute standard path for both steam and starbound. So, call me a knowitall, buuut... yeah^^

18. Solar's Wrath

Yeah it is installed in the standard pathway, i'm going to try and verify even if i did like deleted everything and re-installed everything just before trying again.

19. Madcatyoji

Madcatyoji Space Spelunker

Newby here, just wanted to say to thanks to everyone that posted ways to get this done. I'm running Windows 8 and used the .bat files inserted into the Starbound\win32 folder to accomplish unpacking and packing of the files. Looking forward to starting my own server at some point and building some mods.

20. JellyGem

JellyGem Starship Captain

I cant get this to work on my mac- does anyone who got it to work on theirs have some advice?