1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion How to: Set up a linux server on ubuntu

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by sovredcat, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Edgu

Edgu Space Hobo

Can anyone post a link to guide orsomething how to fix this, cuz I can't find anything.. Help please :(

2. purple_tentacle

purple_tentacle Space Hobo

Has anyone tried this on amazon ec2? Installation went well enough but I can't see to get the port forwarding setup correctly.

3. Syntax42

Syntax42 Pangalactic Porcupine

That looks like your operating system isn't compatible with the version of libstdc used to compile the game and/or SteamCMD. The easiest OS to use with SteamCMD is probably Ubuntu.

I am not familiar with the use of Amazon EC2. However, port forwarding is not something you do on a server. It is something you do on a router or firewall with NAT. Does your EC2 instance have an internet IP? You should be able to connect to it once the game server is running.

4. Ferrio

Ferrio Space Hobo

Yes I got it set up on an EC2 server right now. You'll need to set up a security group with the ports 21025 open, then set your server to have that security group. As for the the server itself, the free micro version isn't enough to run the game without getting some serious lag. I up'ed the instance to medium and with 4 people the server ran fine, going to try small instance later. That said, the prices for it are alot higher than just a dedicated starbound box from hosting sites. My EC instance is looking to run me $100+ for one month if I keep it on medium.

My question:

So what's the preferred way to update the server code?

5. bibby

bibby Void-Bound Voyager

Does it take you guys like, forever to download the game?

App state (0X300502) downloading, progress: 1.14 (35265919 / 3082463860)

It's only increased 1 % in the last 4 hours for me, and my vps is on a Gbps connection.

6. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

An EC instance is not really viable price wise for running this if you want it to be dedicated and have more than 2 people.

You are much better off with going with a VPS from something like creeperhost or beastnode, making your costs around the $12 to $20 range for a 1GB to 2GB server with RAID 10 SSD storage, quad code CPU usage, swap memory, and 24/7 uptime.

I am running one on beastnode myself right now and it was super easy to setup following these directions. I just chose Ubuntu 12.10, turned on the server, and within 5 minutes everything was up and going with my friends on it.

If you just want it running for limited amounts of time with only 2 people though the EC2 is an option probably.

7. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

My VPS took about 6 minutes to download everything.

8. bibby

bibby Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I don't know what's up. There isn't any port forwarding or anything needed to be done is there? I had just done a speedtest on the vps and it dl'd a file at 177MB/s.

9. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

Nothing should be required.
    For my VPS the entire process of purchasing the VPS, choosing Ubuntu and getting the server up took around 10 minutes. For the 32-bit server.
    Fixing the 64-bit issues I had added another 10 or so minutes on the forums here and running the bspatch another forum user created.

10. Gemannihilator

Gemannihilator Space Hobo

I take it to update it we just type in
    app_update 211820
    From the right directory again?

11. Ruan

Ruan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I use
    Code:
    rsync -av --exclude linux64/starbound  --exclude linux64/universe --exclude linux64/player --delete --progress linux64 assets user@host:~/starbound/
    This only copies what is needed to run the server, but it has to be run from an existing Starbound steam installation

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
    class101 likes this.
  12. Syntax42

No. You have to launch SteamCMD then set the force_intall_dir (if you didn't use the default user folder directory) then you can run app_update 211820.

I am going to make a script for updating easier at some point today and I will post the code here.

edit: It is simpler than I thought.

Make a file in the steamcmd directory and name it anything. I will use update.txt as an example. In the text file, insert the following.

Code:
    login steam_user_name
    force_install_dir ./starbound
    app_update 211820
    quit
    Replace "steam_user_name" with your steam user name and change the directory as desired.

Then, run the following when you need to update the server:
    ./steamcmd.sh +runscript update.txt

This assumes your server is not running and you are not logged into steam. You also should have logged into steamcmd at least once so it saves your password and steamguard.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  13. purple_tentacle

Will these updates roll back the world / wipe characters when I apply them to the server?

14. purple_tentacle

Also, if anyone is interested, I created a server on beastnode last night and found it super simple. I used the 6.95 a month price tier and we had 5 guys playing simultaneously and it performed well.

I used the linux 32 12.0 option.

15. corexx

corexx Space Hobo

Hi,

some knows on how to bind the starbound server to a ip-address and/or a port?

16. Syntax42

You may be able to do this by changing the assets/default_configuration.config file. The "gamePort" option is close to the top.

17. sovredcat

sovredcat Big Damn Hero

No everything will persist.

To update pretty much repeat the steps in the first post:

Code:
    login your_steam_username your_steam_password
    force_install_dir ./starbound
    app_update 211820
    quit

18. Halaster

Halaster Space Spelunker

Do note though, that that is only accurate for the current update. Future updates might very well wipe the world and characters. They will most likely notify users first of an impending wipe.
    Actual larger changes such as biom level things that rework how worlds generate would be likely to trigger a wipe.

19. sovredcat

sovredcat Big Damn Hero

That is true, I'm sure they will let us know.

20. marilio

marilio Big Damn Hero

Great guide. Was only missing the lib32 explanation in case you were running Ubuntu 64, but I got it from the Steam CMD page.

My server is working, theonly problem is that it is killing it after a while.