1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to save Homeworld before updating [Unstable]?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Diodoron, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Diodoron

Diodoron Void-Bound Voyager

I would like to know, if there is a way to save my Homeworld from getting wiped before I start the new update. I would prefer to just keep this planet/system rather than the whole universe I already explored.
    And if possible how will this affect the changes in the universe? Will I still be able to fully experience those?

Thanks alot already. :)

2. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Backup the folder. Some hints towards some import tool further down the line, but backup the folder for later.

3. Helena Vinelash

Helena Vinelash Big Damn Hero

Ofcourse be wary that there is a possibility that it won't work. The unstable_storage folder is where to ultimately look inside the starbound game folder containing all core files.
    Inside there, you can find a folder named Universe, copy that to back it up, though put it somewhere and remember where when you recopy it back when updates happen.

I'm not totally sure if there is a way to save individual planets like the one you start on, or even the system you start in, though the universe seed is always the same per platform, so if you're worried about the backup not working (still do it for good measure) then write down the coordinates, you'll be able to find it again later :D

I also indeed hear that there is or will be a tool for backing up worlds, just make sure to copy the folder first ofcourse, Hahaha.

4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Build a massive mothership - name it Pride of Hiigara and go find allies.

==
    The first thing to remember is older versions of files will just may not be compatible. They may make old references to files which no longer exist in that location. The generation code maybe different resulting in improper terrain formation. There are numerous bugs which can be possibly occur with sticking with an older version of anything and trying to get it to work with a newer version of the product. So you have to accept all bugs which can possibly happen, which would not be there when starting a fresh universe.

Now what you can do is go to your universe folder or unstable_storage folder and back up the individual planet you want. The x_y coordinate is in the file name it self.
    and just copy that into the new universe folder when updated. To go back to the planet just retype that x_y coordinate. What bugs you face from doing so is unfortunately those you will have to live with.

Also keep in mind new content will not be available in already generated planets.

Helena Vinelash likes this.
  5. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

fail files comes to mind. At least that is how to tell incompatibilities in the files. Referencing what was mentioned above me. So update from unstable V1 to V2 the files will not be compatible.

Uncertain of when stable gets updated. more likely those will not be compatible from the looks of things. Since the universe has changed quite a bit between the last stable and the one looming to be released.

Right now after playing a bit after the update from V1 to V2 of unstable, I know for certain of what I mention. Since I have those fail files, and the original one that I backed up does not. Anyway it is more likely that the compatibility of the universe files are going to be nil. As in not.

Appended: However the player files are fine; at least from V1 to V2 unstable. It is only the Universe that will be reset.

6. Diodoron

Diodoron Void-Bound Voyager

Thank You very much for the detailed answers.
    I knew of course that this would probably happen when I started to build on my planet. That is the only reason for me wanting to save that world, because the building took me a while...
    I guess best will be to backup, take pictures and say fare well for now. Maybe I will be able to access it again one day.